Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ski suggestions

blank spaces
    Last edited by MikeK; 9 April 2014, 08:32 PM.

Get the red ones.

Comment

After you've tried the red ones, you might try to narrow it down for more focused feedback. Otherwise, you just get folks pimping the stuff they use: I am a big fan of Voile Vectors and Voile Chargers. They are fun all-around skis that are light for their size. They're the worst on groomers and best in powder, but like I said, that's relative since they're impressive skis in all conditions. Next year, there will be the V6 which is 100mm and may work for you too. The other co. that I really like is Praxis. Check out the touring series. My favorite (albeit I had only one day on them) was the Wootests, but those are probably bigger than what you're looking for. The Yeti's are probably a better all-around ski and more in line with your specs.

Comment

Check the Bushwacker from Blizzard... From what you are saying, they seem to fit the bill...

Comment

Originally posted by SkaredShtles View Post
          Get the red ones.
          Yeah. Sure. That's what they all say.

Comment

I have a pair of Blizzard Brahmas, which is the heavier version of the Bushwacker and it is a very good resort ski and does OK on softer snow too. However, I think if I was going to get a 50/50 ski by Blizzard I would look at the Kabookie, one size bigger in the light construction and would be better for the touring part of the 50/50. Dostie has a pair of these I think and skis them well, he does like them. I would also look at the K2 Hardside or the K2 Coomback as a 50/50 ski. They might have different names for 2014 but are great 50/50 skis.
            Last edited by Quadzilla; 8 April 2014, 02:53 PM.
            "Just say no to groomed snow"

Comment

Originally posted by MikeK
              One ski I was at a local outfitter was the Elan Alaska. It's super light and super skinny (for a BC ski) - similar to what I ski on at a resort - has me intrigued...
              I've heard that's an excellent ski, but I think it's more for spring tours and mountaineering -- as you say, in the super light weight class.

This says the Bushwhackers are a hair over 7 lb in 173 cm:

http://www.skihausonline.com/winter/...2014-flat,2591

Volkl may have some skis to consider too -- Amaruq?

Black Diamond Aspect or Current may also be worth considering.

Comment

Dostie has a review on the main website just type in Blizzard Kabookie in search. I ski a Volkl Nanuq which is in the same catagory as a Spring AT ski. This ski is light and very good skiing firm snow. However, I am not finding the ski to be that all around. I guess I am used to skis with alot of rocker and the Nanuq has the trad Volkl rocker and get tossed around on crust and lumpy snow.

Comment

Originally posted by SkaredShtles View Post
                  Get the red ones.
                  My red ones are too fast.

Comment

Otherwise, you just get folks pimping the stuff they use:
                    What I used for AT a bit this winter, Volkl Nunataq . Great ski for Eastern backcountry, and skinning, even medium speed resort skiing (not big, icy bumps with Dynafit though). Since you have decided to go with an AT setup, go for a boot with Dynafit tech inserts. The AT boots I have are the Scarpa Rush, great 3 buckle boot, not crazy expensive. On sale here now for $376 in smaller sizes
                    http://www.backcountry.com/scarpa-ru...ring-boot-mens
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Nunataqs with poles.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	81537
                    Size 178 cm, with the Dynafit Vertical ST binding they weigh only 10 lbs 8 ounces a pair. That is light for a ski that is 107 underfoot, so lots of float in the powder. Like this
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	cham steep.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	81538
                    Skis with no binding (178) weigh 4 lbs each.
                    In the early season, with a marginal snow base, a wider ski will let you "float" above stuff. You can ski with less snow on the ground, like early this season
                    Last edited by chamonix; 8 April 2014, 01:57 PM.

Comment

MikeK,

The Blizzard ski Quad mentioned - the Bushwacker would be a good BC ski. I have the Kabookie in my quiver and consider it my phat ski. I'm with you and prefer something a bit narrower - 90mm at the waist. The Bushwacker is the touring version of the Brahma (I think). If you need to be able to handle hard icy snow, the Brahma is a better choice, and won't weigh that much more for BC touring due to its svelte dimensions (compared to modern fatties). That would be my recommendation from Blizzard.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

I think trying to find the right boot first and then building the skis/bindings around the boot would be the easy part. The new AT boots really have a lot of range in the fit department so the mystery of getting the right fit is way less complicated than in the past. So, done right the pain you describe becomes a non issue.

I would not go Dynafit bindings if I was putting together a 50/50 setup. I would build a setup that is more slated to resort and then just use it for touring. Yesterday, both my wife and I went resort skiing and started off on our Dynafits as we both did some boot work and wanted to test before going touring later in the week. Conditions were Spring snow, periods of very firm quickly developing into soft mush. After a couple of laps we both couldn't wait to get back to our car and change out to our regular resort gear. WTBS, tech setups, boots/bindings, are great touring and IMO so so for resort skiing unless you get a steady diet of powder.

Comment

Originally posted by Dostie View Post
                          MikeK,

The Blizzard ski Quad mentioned - the Bushwacker would be a good BC ski. I have the Kabookie in my quiver and consider it my phat ski. I'm with you and prefer something a bit narrower - 90mm at the waist. The Bushwacker is the touring version of the Brahma (I think). If you need to be able to handle hard icy snow, the Brahma is a better choice, and won't weigh that much more for BC touring due to its svelte dimensions (compared to modern fatties). That would be my recommendation from Blizzard.
                          Actually I mentioned the Kabookie as I thought you skied that ski very well on the tour we went on with all that variable snow and crust. Not sure how easy you would have had it on a smaller ski. I guess it all depends on how big MikeK is and what kind of terrain he skis. I like skiing my Brahmas on average resort days on variable snow, it does ski bigger than the 88 underfoot and I prefer big skis all the time. Still for a 50/50 and touring, I would always prefer atleast 95 underfoot.

Comment

You don't like skiing at "the resorts" because of the wasps, is that what you posted?

Comment

I have big heavy skis (Zealots) with Barons for the resort that allow me to use one pair of boots for resort or BC. This works pretty well although I wouldn't mind something fatter for BC sometimes when it's deep and heavy.
                              For BC I have G3 Soulflys with Dynafits which is a nice light setup. They are decent in powder, great on corn, and good enough on really hard stuff but I try to avoid really hard snow if I can anyway. For spring corn and peak bagging they are perfect. Something like that setup might be good for your needs although I don't think this particular ski is in production anymore.

I didn't like the Dynafits in the resort that much but I know a lot of people use them for resort skiing. I had a scary prerelease once and just prefer the beefier feel of Barons in typical resort conditions. But the Barons are heavy and they are mounted on heavy skis so I'd never tour on them which is why I have both setups.

Comment

Working...
                              X