Countdown to the Shellacking!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Countdown to the Shellacking!

Only 233 days to November 4th. Will the Republican wave be a ripple or a tsunami?

Don't get too excited. My money says if it occurs (and by it, I assume we're both talking about reclaiming the Senate), it will be a ripple. There may be tsunami-like impacts in places where folks like Mitch McConnell lose their seats to crazy tea partying folk.

So, in AK, whom do you like? Sullivan, Treadwell, Miller, or ????

Comment

2014 will not be kind to Democrats. They'll lose ground in the Senate, but I'll predict that they hold on to a majority, if only due to Biden as tie-breaker. It'll be close, but either way, the Dems will net-gain in the Senate between now and Nov 2016. In the House, as in 2012, it'll be a majority of votes for Democratic candidates overall, but Repubs will easily win the most seats; I'll be surprised if either party makes significant gains.

Comment

However many seats the Repugnants take Nov. 2014, whether few or many, the end result will be but a ripple. Leopards don't change their spots, and two-headed monsters are still monsters. A third option needs to be viable or there will be no significant change of direction. An electable 3rd party would create great pandemonium for the current political process, but great opportunity as well.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

Makes total sense to waste 233 days and continue to watch an empire crumble just to make your competitor look bad.

Wonder what's wrong with this country?

Comment

A third party is always a great idea if it takes votes from the guys you don't like.

Comment

The idea of a third party is sort of like the third party we already have. Works great as an idea but not so much in real life.

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
                The idea of a third party is sort of like the third party we already have. Works great as an idea but not so much in real life.
                Sorry James, I'm not following. Exactly what third party exists already that has any political power, and thus any influence in the political process? The Rainbow party? Not! The Libertarian Party? Only in my dreams. The Constitution Party? Who? The Communist Party? That's the Dumbocrats, so it's not a 3rd party, its the hidden hand that guides the dominant party in Amerika. The Cynical Party? They don't vote, so they don't have an influence either. So what's this third party that you think we already have?

As to it not working so much in real life...well, yeah, that's (part of) the problem! IMHO.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

Originally posted by stevesliva View Post
                  A third party is always a great idea if it takes votes from the guys you don't like.
                  Quoted for truth.

I've wondered lately if a bipartisan organization to certify candidates' funding might be a solution. Kind of a privatization of campaign finance reform since it's obvious the thieves aren't going to do it themselves. For clarity: it would be a contract that you didn't take a donation over a couple of hundred bucks or no funds from corporations during the election cycle and then you'd be accountable not to take special interest money or perks during your tenure. If it was bipartisan then the electorate could have an option between two candidates knowing that neither were corrupt. I've gotten mixed feedback on this idea. EYTers?

Comment

BTW, Dostie I'd assume James is talking about the Tea Party. Although we'll have to wait for him to weigh in to know for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Laura View Post
                      the Republican wave
                      If at all and only because it is well-funded by the Kochs.
                      "Nobody ever got my name right." - Me

Comment

Originally posted by dschane View Post
                        So, in AK, whom do you like? Sullivan, Treadwell, Miller, or ????
                        Dan Sullivan

Comment

I meant the Libertarian Party but you can take almost any. My point was a lot of these parties start off with great ideas or at least good ideas but then get hijacked by some extreme whack jobs and don't work out so well in real life. I like the idea of third party or even multiple new parties but this does not always work out so well either. Look at the political horse trading that goes on in Europe that get coalitions formed to get certain people elected and how they constantly fall apart.

Comment

Originally posted by riser3 View Post
                            If at all and only because it is well-funded by the Kochs.
                            I am no fan of the Koch brothers or the GOP lately but it might help your cause if you were just a bit accurate. Obama could raise more money in a week before the last election then the Kochs have throw at Tea party candidates. Who do you think is more successful at raising money the Dems or the GOP?

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
                              I meant the Libertarian Party but you can take almost any. My point was a lot of these parties start off with great ideas or at least good ideas but then get hijacked by some extreme whack jobs and don't work out so well in real life. I like the idea of third party or even multiple new parties but this does not always work out so well either. Look at the political horse trading that goes on in Europe that get coalitions formed to get certain people elected and how they constantly fall apart.
                              Indeed, that is the problem with multiple parties. The hijacking will always occur, and has with only two parties. Limiting it to only two parties just makes it too easy for big money to buy the seats of power. I guess I'd rather see the chance of new ideas and be willing to risk the foibles of coalition politics, but perhaps I'm just naive on that.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

Working...
                              X