Sarcasm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sarcasm

One of the tools we use everyday is SARCASM. Unfortunately, the cues we receive to indicate that when talking person-to-person are lost in print or on the web. So my question to all is, how do we indicate that so the humor implied with a change of tone in voice can be "seen" and understood.

My thought on this awhile back was to post a sarcastic comment in backwards quotes. By this I mean, typographers quotes where the quote is curled inwards and for sarcasm you make them curl outwards (start with the end quote, end with the start quote). Unfortunately the standard quotes provided in this editor are straight, no curl.

Any ideas?

ain't no turn like tele!

You're a wordsmith. It's the tool of the trade. Literary critics write 100 page reviews just to make one sarcastic point. If you can't make sarcasm work with the written word then you shouldn't attempt it. And if you're unsure then it isn't working. These forums are there own vehicle but the literary community has typically avoided such devices because it's too obvious and eventually would turn a book into looking like a magazine. I think if you can't do it without a special device it should probably be left undone. It's not a particularly constructive form of communication. You want to avoid "juvvy" well, sarcasm is the definition. My wife sends a kid a week to the principle for being sarcastic. We're not all Mark Twain. Save the sarcasm for personal blogs.

Comment

You mean there is not an emoticon for that?

Comment

I can't reply until this is sorted out.
        Soccer is a game of feet. Hockey is a game of inches.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt J View Post
          You're a wordsmith. It's the tool of the trade. Literary critics write 100 page reviews just to make one sarcastic point. If you can't make sarcasm work with the written word then you shouldn't attempt it. And if you're unsure then it isn't working. These forums are there own vehicle but the literary community has typically avoided such devices because it's too obvious and eventually would turn a book into looking like a magazine. I think if you can't do it without a special device it should probably be left undone. It's not a particularly constructive form of communication. You want to avoid "juvvy" well, sarcasm is the definition. My wife sends a kid a week to the principle for being sarcastic. We're not all Mark Twain. Save the sarcasm for personal blogs.
          [SARCASM]You have a degree in literature? [/SARCASM]

Comment

that one actually works ^^^

I guess that's part of the issue... we don't write on here like it's going to press.

maybe I should edit it out like you did your photo and erase my tracks

Comment

Sarcasm speaks for itself. If you don't understand sarcasm when you see it then you're not worth the time it would take to explain it.

So I guess I'm agreeing with Matt which isn't surprising because Matt is right about everything. I can't believe how right the guy is. Every time he opens his mouth the room is filled with rightness.
              Last edited by freeheelwilly; 24 October 2013, 11:08 AM.

Comment

I think that's a really, really great idea.

Was that sarcasm or honesty? Some will never know. I think that's the beauty of sarcasm. I'm sure I've posted sarcastic remarks on ttips that only a small percentage of members understood as sarcasm. So be it; I'm not here for maximum points, but for the highest quality points.

If someone is unintentionally hurt, you can either let it pass or make a correction.
                Last edited by Baaahb; 24 October 2013, 11:25 AM.

Comment

that one actually works ^^^

I guess that's part of the issue... we don't write on here like it's going to press.

maybe I should edit it out like you did your photo and erase my tracks
                  Erase my tracks? What are you babbling about? The picture didn't garner me one of your lame ass "infractions" - but the post I left up did. Go read it again, get all red in the face, and give me another infraction. I know you want to.

Dostie, this guy couldn't moderate a bus full of nuns. Nice choice. (That was sarcasm)

Comment

Make a WUS.

Way Unkind Sarcasm forum.

Comment

two three four

Comment

Nice use of sarcasm.

Or do you actually think I'm right all the time?

So, here's the $100 question... if sarcasm by definition is to imply the opposite of what you say, then by you saying I'm always right then you're implying I'm always wrong. We know neither of those is true. But is saying someone is always incorrect a personal attack of sorts?

One of the reasons you don't bother me much FHW is that I see button pushing as kind of funny. But, it's a lot of sideways banter that most casual users of this forum are not going to appreciate. Craig, can I moderate your topic to go to the WOT?

Comment

At least Doug Piranha isn't here.

Last edited by Matt J; 24 October 2013, 12:03 PM.

Comment

So, here's the $100 question... if sarcasm by definition is to imply the opposite of what you say, then by you saying I'm always right then you're implying I'm always wrong.
                            Sarcasm does not imply the opposite, it only implicitly denies the truth of whatever is said. You owe me $100.

Comment

I guess the embedded video is working now

No problem Baaahb. I can pay you in Acapulco gold or ski lessons. I'd recommend the weed.

Anybody else hear that this is a La Nina? Is that good or bad for the Sierras?

Comment

Working...
                              X