Supersonic submarines? Really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supersonic submarines? Really?

Thought this was fascinating when I tripped across it. Supersonic submarines.

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/article/1580226/shanghai-san-francisco-100-minutes-chinese-supersonic-submarine

Of course, this is the result of weapons research, and development will probably remain dominated by use for war, but the article does consider the possibility of this technology being used peacefully some day. I'm not counting on experiencing this anytime soon.

ain't no turn like tele!

Gonna be tough taking one to Reno.

Comment

Very interesting. Definitely military use for the foreseeable future though. The article mentioned the Russian torpedo system the idea is expanded from only has a range between 11-15km. On the Wikipedia page for the torpedo it shows that it weighs 2,700 kg, but approximate 2,000 kg of that is fuel and 210kg is the payload (with the other ~500kg being presumably things like the casing and guidance system). So if over 2/3s of your vehicle weight is fuel, you're probably not going to have much room for passengers.

Not surprising that this is coming from China. A lot of their military R&D spending right now is focused on asymmetrical weapons systems that allow them to level the playing field against US carrier battlegroups in the East China Sea... things like anti-ship missiles, subs, etc. And, obviously, cyber war.

Thanks for the interesting link.

Comment

My company is doing some design work for the rail gun http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railgun which shoots at Mach 7. Hypersonic is definitely the next wave of innovation. Imagine the Iron Dome over all of north America.
        Last edited by Chugach001; 26 August 2014, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LightRanger View Post
          So if over 2/3s of your vehicle weight is fuel, you're probably not going to have much room for passengers.
          I forsee this limited to torpedoes at first.
          "Nobody ever got my name right." - Me

Comment

More dolphin and whale beachings anyone?
            Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!

Comment

Working...
            X