X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The power of the placebo effect...

Worried about gluten?

http://www.businessinsider.com/glute...ication-2014-5

A very poor study. A total of 37 self-identified "gluten sensitives" and nobody else. The answer was to be expected.

Comment

Any body have a link to the original study by this lab that supposedly established a connection between gluten and the problematic syndrome? Gonna hazard a guess and say it was probably of similar poor design. Bad science is bad science, no matter what the result.

Comment

They do provide a link to another, larger study that apparently confirmed the findings of this study.

http://www.businessinsider.com/r-man...-tests-2014-07

Comment

But people are buying the "gluten-free" stuff in droves!
          Yay!...(Drool)

Comment

Placebo or not, I can assure you as a society Americans consume waaaaaay too much wheat, hence gluten. I've made a conscious decision to back off and have noticed a difference. More energy, and one notch tighter on the waist belt. I didn't eliminate wheat (bread stuff), just reduced it by at least half, if not more.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

They didn't control for other elements, either, just GI distress. So, gluten may not be wholly nutritious and/or have long term effects and may still not give GI distress.

Comment

Originally posted by Dostie View Post
                Placebo or not, I can assure you as a society Americans consume waaaaaay too much wheat,
                What makes you say that?
                Yay!...(Drool)

Comment

Originally posted by climbhoser View Post
                  They didn't control for other elements, either, just GI distress. So, gluten may not be wholly nutritious and/or have long term effects and may still not give GI distress.
                  I believe the study was to confirm (or not) the effect of gluten on self-diagnosed gluten-intolerant subjects, so what other elements should they be controlling? As for other triggers, they appear to have made every effort to control them. From the study:

"Subjects would be provided with every single meal for the duration of the trial. Any and all potential dietary triggers for gastrointestinal symptoms would be removed, including lactose (from milk products), certain preservatives like benzoates, propionate, sulfites, and nitrites, and fermentable, poorly absorbed short-chain carbohydrates, also known as FODMAPs."

Comment

"..... 37 self-identified gluten sensitive patients ....": this is a problem.

Comment

I studied in a multiple discipline environmental ethics program at university. Many of the faculty were salaried with grant money from Monsanto, Dow, DuPont, and Syngenta in fields like Crop and Soil Science. Many of them worked on the first "RoundUp Ready" seed stock to enter the U.S. market. Our EE program was the place they discussed possible disadvantages to these products. Many of them cited the neurotoxicity of these products with the emerging research of the lumbar plexus and the health of the GI tract. I am afraid that their predictions are coming true. GMOs are now being linked to Celiac Disease, Gluten sensitivity, and other forms of GI distress.

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/new...emic-free-pdf1

What's the over/under on when this will be moved to the WOT?

Comment

where's neckbeard when we need him?
                        "Nobody ever got my name right." - Me

Comment

Celiac disease is one thing...."gluten intolerance" could be a whole other animal:

Yay!...(Drool)

Comment

Originally posted by BillyFromTheHills View Post
                            Celiac disease is one thing...."gluten intolerance" could be a whole other animal:

Alot of the people I know that are "gluten intolerant" have other phobias, as well.
                            Yay!...(Drool)

Comment

Originally posted by BillyFromTheHills View Post
                              What makes you say that?
                              I think it could be better worded, maybe "Americans consume too many carbs". I think that statement is true. Carbs aren't bad but in excess, like anything else, they can be unhealthy. Like people who eat or serve bread with pasta, it just an overindulgence in carbs.

Comment

Working...
                              X