TR: Gothic to Crested Butte traverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TR: Gothic to Crested Butte traverse

Xavi, longtime CB local, is an impressive skier and photographer. After spending Christmas here in Gothic, he decided to ski the entire way home, traversing two intermediate ridges and their respective valleys before connecting with the nordic network that would carry him to his door. An aesthetic and practical route. He also did it fast, covering 8ish miles and 1700' in a casual 2:23.

Because it was such a cool tour, I had to follow suit. Because I am (just possibly) competitive, his time gave me a benchmark to shoot for. I borrowed 40mm mohair skins for my 10th Mountains, and while they didn't exactly climb like a champ, they kept sidestepping to a minimum, at least until they failed altogether halfway up the second ridge. No matter. It was a beautiful ski, with short steep climbs yielding to mellow but fast glade skiing on the backside of each ridge. Navigational errors tacked on a mile to my route. I rolled into town in 2:39. Next time, I guess. The out-and-back is also appealing...

Coffee and cinnamon bun were ample reward. And maybe a burrito and a PBR to boot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gothictocb.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	89267
    Alpenglow on Gothic.

Name:	gothictocb4.jpg
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	89268
    The first ridge.

Name:	gothictocb2.jpg
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	89269
    Sun hits.

Name:	gothictocb6.jpg
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	89270
    Backside of the mountain.

Name:	gothictocb9.jpg
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	89271

Name:	gothictocb8.jpg
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	89272
    The end in sight.

Nice!
    Xavi is kind of an animal (and an amazing photographer) so your time is more than respectable! You deserve some MontaŁŒa rum drinks too!

Comment

^ the bottle was back at the cabin

Comment

Working...
      X