A mixed bag in Gulf of Slides - April 19, 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A mixed bag in Gulf of Slides - April 19, 2014

3:48 AM Eyes pop open Gulf of Slides today, time to get started....
    3:59AM Alarm goes off as "the sandwich" is half built and the kettle begins to boil
    4:38AM Pull out of driveway
    7:47AM Start Skinning...I am alone and first of the day acsending the GOSST...but not for long. As I prepare for the second portage in the first .2 mile, Concordia2 arrives.

We ascend together finding the going pretty easy but with some gass and mud crossings...good thing I was using my "rock skins". We reach the second cache, whereat Concordia's blisters get treated and snacks are consumed

Your humble scribe:

We started up Main Gully on skins...not for long...then we started booting but we soon started cramponing up

Then we skied. Concordia2 skiing on ice gravel and unsoftened corn.

I was on a short timeline and after taking leave of Concordia2, I reached the soft snow before reaching the higher cache. The trail is getting a bit worn...it was a bit grim on the way up...more so in the day's heat below 4000 feet
    Last edited by RobRoyMeans; 20 April 2014, 06:03 PM.
    Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!

Looking good, Rob! I only have one question. What kind of skins are not rock skins?

Comment

Nice TR Robrox!

Chez, the answer to your question would be anything with mohair

I now have powder skins and everything else skins.

Comment

Originally posted by cesare View Post
        Looking good, Rob! I only have one question. What kind of skins are not rock skins?
        [
        Matt said it for me

Originally posted by Matt J View Post
        Nice TR Robrox!

Chez, the answer to your question would be anything with mohair

I now have powder skins and everything else skins.
        George (Concordia2) stayed up in GOS for another run, he reported that conditions held firm above 4000 feet. The real winners on Saturday would be the three gents with sleds/huge packs going up around 1PM.

They were planning to stay for skiing Sunday, which has since been reported as "stellar", and today. They will have a tough drag out due to the many snow discontinuities they will find later today, but they will have finished breakfast and already started up by now (8:45AM). I hope they get many hours of skiing pleasure before their ordeal descending the trail...

George got one of me at about 4800 feet:
        Last edited by RobRoyMeans; 21 April 2014, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Pretty neat Rob. I did some skinning yesterday too but nothing as cool as the GoS.

Comment

Originally posted by freeheelwilly View Post
            Pretty neat Rob. I did some skinning yesterday too but nothing as cool as the GoS.
            It's all cooler than not getting out at all! From today there will be a lot of walking to and from the snow on the Eastside.

Comment

Hi Rob, I did not know this was you. Welcome, I am very glad to see you posting here. Nice TR and thanks.
              Last edited by James; 21 April 2014, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Thanks for sharing.

Moreover, thank you for opening our eyes to the exciting possibilities of TRs with GIFs!

Comment

Originally posted by aqua toque View Post
                  Thanks for sharing.

Moreover, thank you for opening our eyes to the exciting possibilities of TRs with GIFs!
                  Especially useful now that grilling season is upon us

Comment

Working...
                  X