Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dschane
    replied
    I have 4 more days, so here are my first impressions re mount location. I've mostly been skiing with boot center at 2cm behind the dimple and that's the spot for me. I also measured the ski and it looks like the dimple is about 98cm from the tip (straight pull), though the binding is on the ski so that's not precise. Anyone else with an actual measurement?

I'm 5'10", 185 lb. and am using Voile Switchbacks with T1's and T2 Ecos. I ski fairly low and, other than on groomers, do not feel comfortable in an upright stance. Both boots, by the way, are enough to drive the ski, but the T1's definitely provide a smoother ride in the mank. The first day I used them, it had dumped 33" of fairly heavy, dense snow over the previous 48 hours. I climbed to about 2500' elevation and skied low angle trees. For that run, I had the boot center on the dimple. It felt a bit awkward, but honestly, in those conditions, I doubt location would have mattered.

Since then, I moved the boot center line to 2cm behind the dimple. Following a period of a god-awful melt-freeze cycle, I climbed again to about 2500', and the first 300' was delicious powder and the rest was an annoying crust. Mount location was perfect. I've also had 3 resort days skiing with my 5-year old on groomers, packed down slopes, and through mank. The skis are every bit of perfection other reviewers have described and I see no reason to mess with the mount location any more. I'll try to put up a review after a couple more weeks.

Leave a comment:

• dschane
    replied
    I have only 1 day on them, so I have only some carpet observations to offer . . . I agree, the dimple seems far forward. I believe it's about 99 cm from the tip (right?). By comparison, the boot center mark on Voile Vectors (180 cm) are about 102 cm from the tip (not the best comparison, but it's all I've got to compare). The difference, however, is in the rocker. The Voile Vector 180's tip splay is 35 cm and tail splay is 18 cm (cambered contact length is 127 cm). The Praxis BC 180's tip splay is 45 cm and tail splay 20 cm (cambered contact length is 115 cm). So, one way to look at it is that when you effectively make the ski shorter (by tip rocker, where the difference between the two skis is more pronounced), aren't you going to make the boot center mark more forward? I'll probably play with mount location (between boot center on the mark and 2 cm behind it) and can offer my own experience in the next couple of weeks.

Leave a comment:

• skidaddle
    replied
    Praxis BC 180 mount

Originally posted by Chip View Post
    I picked up Backcountry 180, Medium flex, during summer sale. Have been out only 4 times this season. I really need more time to give accurate assessment. This is what I found so far. Conditions have been resort hard packed with exception of yesterday. About 8’ fresh. Even a short bump run formed. The Backcountry is a larger ski than what I’m used to. Had been skiing a light 89mm wasted ski, (Movement Freeheal), past 4 seasons. So far, I’m happy with the Medium flex. (I’m about 5’7, 155 lbs.). I had previous Axl’s mounted by ski shop. If I did the math correctly, their about 2.5cm back from indent. First couple of days, I was thinking mount position was too far back. Now I’m thinking perhaps not. This is one of those time will tell things. First couple of day’s had a difficult time transitioning. As Dewan stated above, I found I needed to be a bit more aggressive. However, once you find that sweet spot and get the ski on edge, they will flat out turn. I actually wasn’t expecting to get the short radius turns I’m able to get out of this ski. And for a 106 wasted ski, it holds an edge on boiler plate exceptionally well. I’ve never been a strong bump skier. I did make a couple of short bump runs yesterday and again was impressed. Very quick and easy to transition ski edge to edge. When you let the skis run at high speed, the tips do chatter a bit or move more than I'm accustomed to. I assume this is due to early rise/rocker. True test will be bottomless pow, mank, crud. So… First couple of days on Backcountry were Ruh Roh, what have I done. However, last couple of day’s it’s all come together. They rip. Would I replace my Movements knowing what I know thus far… Yep.

If you’re not in a rush to purchase, I’ll be glad to update as season progresses. Have fun!
    Hi Chip,
    I am ready to mount my 13/14 Praxis BC 180 skis, but noticed the boot center dimple is way forward from other skis I have mounted. Both my current skis are NTN and seem to ski well. They are both mounted at the ski manufacturer's boot center mark, which seems about 4 cm behind the mark on the Praxis skis. I also compared the balance points to boot center mark distance on the Praxis and one the skis that I removed the binding on. That also showed the Praxis boot center mark way forward. So, I decided to research a little before drilling. Do you have any advice, especially since you probably have more time on your skis since your last post?
    Thanks,
    Chris

Leave a comment:

• thornton
    replied
    praxis is having a holiday sale, http://www.praxisskis.com/holiday-sale/

Leave a comment:

• LightRanger
    replied
    I borrowed a buddy's 180 BCs for a short run in March. I'm 6'1" 160. They ski short. Super light, particularly with the Dynafits he had on them. Fun skis.

Leave a comment:

• dschane
    replied
    Good feedback Chip, thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Chip
    replied
    I picked up Backcountry 180, Medium flex, during summer sale. Have been out only 4 times this season. I really need more time to give accurate assessment. This is what I found so far. Conditions have been resort hard packed with exception of yesterday. About 8’ fresh. Even a short bump run formed. The Backcountry is a larger ski than what I’m used to. Had been skiing a light 89mm wasted ski, (Movement Freeheal), past 4 seasons. So far, I’m happy with the Medium flex. (I’m about 5’7, 155 lbs.). I had previous Axl’s mounted by ski shop. If I did the math correctly, their about 2.5cm back from indent. First couple of days, I was thinking mount position was too far back. Now I’m thinking perhaps not. This is one of those time will tell things. First couple of day’s had a difficult time transitioning. As Dewan stated above, I found I needed to be a bit more aggressive. However, once you find that sweet spot and get the ski on edge, they will flat out turn. I actually wasn’t expecting to get the short radius turns I’m able to get out of this ski. And for a 106 wasted ski, it holds an edge on boiler plate exceptionally well. I’ve never been a strong bump skier. I did make a couple of short bump runs yesterday and again was impressed. Very quick and easy to transition ski edge to edge. When you let the skis run at high speed, the tips do chatter a bit or move more than I'm accustomed to. I assume this is due to early rise/rocker. True test will be bottomless pow, mank, crud. So… First couple of days on Backcountry were Ruh Roh, what have I done. However, last couple of day’s it’s all come together. They rip. Would I replace my Movements knowing what I know thus far… Yep.

If you’re not in a rush to purchase, I’ll be glad to update as season progresses. Have fun!

Leave a comment:

• JST
    replied
    Originally posted by dewam View Post
    I have a season on the Backcountry in 180 mounted with Voile Switchbackx2...... if you are looking send me a PM.
    Thanks dewam, but being only 130lbs I am probably looking for a 174 (or 172, whatever the next size down is).

Leave a comment:

• JLB
    replied
    I've wanted to try both Yetis and BCs but haven't found a good price yet. I do have Praxis Concepts and Powderboards and they are both mindblowing skis. Construction and finish are top notch. And Keith is great to deal with, answers questions quickly and in my experience always steers you toward what is going to work for you. Great company.

Leave a comment:

• dewam
    replied
    I have a season on the Backcountry in 180 mounted with Voile Switchbackx2. More ski than I am skier. Came from a Voile Insane with Switchbacks. The Backcountry required me to be more aggressive and on top of my game, and it rewarded it. When things got steep and dangerous they always rewarded the extra effort, jump on them and they worked. I skied a lot of new lines that year. The problem for me is that I am aging and still wanting to put in long days. If I took the Insanes out, it seemed easier to put in another couple thousand vert. That said I only took the Insanes a few times because the Backcountry worked so well in the steep and skinny. I went looking for a ski that combined both skis attributes. I will probably sell my Backcountrys this season, if you are looking send me a PM.

The build and tune quality are outstanding.

Here is something that I posted on TGR: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...12-Mount-Point
    along with others opinions. http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...s-Back-Country

Leave a comment:

• JST
    replied
    Originally posted by dschane View Post
    I have the Backcountry's in 180 cm and will try them as soon as there's enough snow -- it's all rock skis right now. Last season, I tried the Yeti's in 192 cm. Great ski and handled very well, but it was a bit too long -- I'm pushing 5'10" and weigh about 185lb unadorned. We have lots of trees here, so 182 would have been better.....
    Hope you get snow soon- Please report back!

Leave a comment:

• dschane
    replied
    I have the Backcountry's in 180 cm and will try them as soon as there's enough snow -- it's all rock skis right now. Last season, I tried the Yeti's in 192 cm. Great ski and handled very well, but it was a bit too long -- I'm pushing 5'10" and weigh about 185lb unadorned. We have lots of trees here, so 182 would have been better. From my experience and other reviews I've read, quality control and customer service are outstanding. Nice article here:

http://www.powdermag.com/stories/sma...ut-out-praxis/

I personally am second-guessing myself and wondering if I should have gone with the Yeti's in 182 cm instead of the Backcountry's, but time will tell. I fattened it up for no good reason.

Leave a comment:

• James
    replied
    There are all sorts of comments at TGR about the Backcountry. Not sure about the Yeti. I have never skied them but have only heard good things about them.

Leave a comment:

• JST
    started a topic Praxis skis

Praxis skis

Anyone try these? Particularly the Yeti or Backcountry models? Hard to find any extensive reviews on them cuz such a small, internet orders only company. All the skis are handmade, so I am also wondering how good quality control is.
Working...
X