V-6 vs. Vector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-6 vs. Vector

The writeup on the new V-6 is great but leaves some nagging questions, since it and the Vector seem to be competing in the same space. So:

•Is the Vector eventually to be replaced by the V-6, or are they different enough to coexist in Voile's lineup for more than a season or two?

•How different are they, and which would be a better choice for some various usages?

Anyone have input on this?

Here's what a Voile tech guy emailed me on the same general questions with a little "V6 v Buster" angle thrown in (because I'm familiar with that ski):

The V6 is going to ski similar to the buster but obviously 100 under foot. The Vector is a more traditional ski with a low rise tail and a longer turner. The V6 is going to be more versatile over more terrain than the vector.

And a bit more :

I think the rocker profile is similar in the nose but has more rocker in the tail than the buster. The main difference obviously is the width but the buster skis a little more traditional than the V6. the V6 is more playful slightly more turny ski. The buster is a bit more hefty and beefy ski. It's bomber enough to ski in bounds but light enough to venture out into the backcountry. If your looking for a quiver of one I would go with the V6.

Did not address the phasing out of Vector question.

Comment

Good writeup! I too am curious as to what the differences are between the Vector and the V6. I've spent a few seasons on the Vector/Vector BC and am surprised to hear that Voile is making the V6 with dimensions so similar to the Vector. In my experience, the Vector is a super-versatile ski that, as far as I can tell, only feels out of place at very high speeds on groomed snow: Voile hit the nail on the head. So to me, it seems strange that Voile wants to sell a ski that's even more versatile than the Vector, but that's not to say I wouldn't want to give the V6 a try...so what are the differences between them?

Comment

My guess is if the Vectors are selling, they'll keep both. I also doubt they'd get rid of it completely b/c the BC version seems to be doing well, so well they added scales to a splitboard.

And some thread hijack: ts01, thoughts on the Buster, esp. Buster v Charger? I love the Charger and saw a sweet deal on a used pair of Busters.

Comment

Have only skied the Buster, not Charger, so I can't really compare. But I LOVED the Buster, it's just wider than I wanted hence the interest in the V6. I'm primarily an east coast skier and already have skins trimmed for +/- 95mm touring duty, so the V6 looks like a better fit for my purposes.

The Buster has tons of float and is probably the fattest ski I've been on, but it's also one of the nimblest and was great for tight turns in eastern trees as well as just charging wide open spaces. Compared to BD Justice a few years ago with similar dimensions on paper it was way more playful. Really liked how the tail released instantly to pivot or pop out of an unexpectedly tight spot, far better (and safer feeling) than the more traditionally cambered ski I was on earlier the same day. Good enough to very good grip for a fatty; though I didn't have it glare ice, there were plenty of scraped off spots.
          Last edited by ts01; 14 October 2014, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the input, helpful thoughts there.

Comment

The biggest difference between the Vector and V6 is the tighter turning radius on the V6. The Vector has great edge hold, but does not like to be pressed into carved tight turns.

Comment

Voille markets the V6 as a slimmed down V8. Excellent V8 review here.
                I loved my Vectors, and love my BCs.
                I checked out the V6 in a shop, and it looks great as an eastern all conditions ski, also suitable for long tours, similar to the Vector.
                I ended up going with the Carbon Convert, but the V6 was a close second, just based on reviews, flexing, fondling, etc.

Comment

Sort of off topic, but I love my V8's. The tighter turning radius makes tele turns in the trees super fun (Mt Bohemia, as a patroller). Great in powder (more days last year in the Midwest, than I can remember), good on hard pack/ice too. Last season spent a week on what was essentially ice tree skiing Bohemia free-heel, not so many tele turns, but still fun all day long. I'd bet the V6 would be even better on hard pack/ice. Personally, I'd be first in line for a BC version of the V6, since I'm sure I could go anywhere around here on that setup.

Comment

Originally posted by hhtele View Post
                    Voille markets the V6 as a slimmed down V8. Excellent V8 review here.
                    I loved my Vectors, and love my BCs.
                    I checked out the V6 in a shop, and it looks great as an eastern all conditions ski, also suitable for long tours, similar to the Vector.
                    I ended up going with the Carbon Convert, but the V6 was a close second, just based on reviews, flexing, fondling, etc.
                    And there's an excellent V6 review here, which somehow hasn't made it into this thread yet: http://www.earnyourturns.com/26073/b...iew-voiles-v6/

Dostie does have a site outside of the forums here, dudes.

Comment

Originally posted by zak View Post
                      Sort of off topic, but I love my V8's. The tighter turning radius makes tele turns in the trees super fun (Mt Bohemia, as a patroller). Great in powder (more days last year in the Midwest, than I can remember), good on hard pack/ice too. Last season spent a week on what was essentially ice tree skiing Bohemia free-heel, not so many tele turns, but still fun all day long. I'd bet the V6 would be even better on hard pack/ice. Personally, I'd be first in line for a BC version of the V6, since I'm sure I could go anywhere around here on that setup.
                      Have you skied the Vector BCs? I've been using a pair of 180s for charging around the UP backcountry for a couple years and really like them. When I first started hearing about the V6, I thought they might be perfect for Bohemia and would work well for the odd trip out west.

Comment

Working...
                      X