Garmont?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garmont?

The final Garmont AT boots seemed to be the topic of much discussion, mostly due to questions about the tech inserts, not so much about them being the last of the brand. My question is what is the consensus on these inserts? Are they sub-standard or safe? The two models I am looking at are the Delirium and Mystic. Thanks! MS

Caveat emptor! They may be okay, but such a determination is beyond the scope of true testing of tech bindings. The problem is there is no standard for testing tech bindings like there is for alpine bindings. What I learned in my conversations with anonymous persons who might know was that the modified dimensions of the inserts might make the release different, perhaps even more reliable, but it wasn't something that could be consistently tested due to the lack of a testing standard for tech/Dynafit style bindings. IOW - they will not release the same as a boot with genuine Dynafit inserts in a boot.

Underlining this issue is the fact that the first 2-pin tech binding to allow lateral release at the toe has an adjustment to modify the gap of the pins in the closed position because the corresponding distance between inserts in the toe can vary by up to 1.2mm. This millimeter variance can cause inconsistent release results for the toe unit on the Vipec.

Bottom line...do ya feel lucky? Well, do you?

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

Thanks Craig, I value your opinion, and you didn't even call me "punk", Eastwood style! MS

Comment

One way to tell if a pair of recent boots have the genuine Dynafit inserts is see if the inserts have this alignment slot, below the "cups". This is an improvement to the original Dynafit insert which (I believe) is still under patent, so only genuine Dynafit inserts can have this slot. This picture on the left is of my Scarpa Rush boots. Picture on the right, my older Garmont Radium boots.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050616.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	81584 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050617.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	81585
        Last edited by chamonix; 15 April 2014, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Thanks cham! My primary boots are Dynafit with the winged inserts, the Garmonts would be backups. Another question, wasn't the new design more for ease of entry and de-icing than a safety improvement? MS

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Sitz View Post
            Thanks cham! My primary boots are Dynafit with the winged inserts, the Garmonts would be backups. Another question, wasn't the new design more for ease of entry and de-icing than a safety improvement? MS
            Well it's not really a safety improvement. Dynafit marketed the change as a way to step into a Dynafit toe piece more easily. I think they also did it to try and add an exclusive feature they could patent.. The Dynafit toe inserts have a very rigid bar between the two toe "cups". There are online pictures of a Dynafit metal insert, removed from a ski boot, but I can't find it.
            As Craig said,
            IOW - they will not release the same as a boot with genuine Dynafit inserts in a boot.
            Last edited by chamonix; 15 April 2014, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X