Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boots - check and tighten fittings.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Boots - check and tighten fittings.

    I am using my Garmont Energy's for the third season. The screw/nut plate that secures the strap backed out and came apart. Noticed it was loose on the other boot too. Then looking over the boots there are 4 screws that hold the ski/walk mode mech in place. Already missing a screw on one boot and 3 screws have backed out. Going over the boots thoroughly tonight.

  • #2
    Get out the loctite.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by lowangle al View Post
      Get out the loctite.
      That would be a horrible idea on plastic boots.

      Comment


      • #4
        Scarpa uses some type of loctite on the screws on all their plastic boots. I would be careful but on the bolts he mentions it should be pretty easy to keep it off the plastic.

        Comment


        • #5
          If loctite eats plastic that would be good to know. Thanks.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by lowangle al View Post
            If loctite eats plastic that would be good to know. Thanks.
            Regardless, why choose chemicals or compounds over personal screw diligence?
            Last edited by aqua toque; 20 January 2014, 11:49 AM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by James View Post
              Scarpa uses some type of loctite on the screws on all their plastic boots. I would be careful but on the bolts he mentions it should be pretty easy to keep it off the plastic.
              The stuff they put on screws is more like Vibratite, it's an aerobic thread sealer and needs to cure before application. Loctite is anaerobic and cures after assembly and is very unfriendly to plastics.

              Even a little rubber cement or Elmer's glue applied to screws and left to dry before assembly works well.

              Comment


              • #8
                SlideWright has some thread locker that is friendly to plastic for use with inserts. I agree with the toque, check em in the fall and you should be good.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by airinwrite View Post
                  The stuff they put on screws is more like Vibratite, it's an aerobic thread sealer and needs to cure before application. Loctite is anaerobic and cures after assembly and is very unfriendly to plastics.
                  I thought it was with regard to certain plastics, such as the kind 22Designs uses. Voile once told me it has no effect on the plastic it uses in their bindings, but other than that chatter, I know zilch about the stuff.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by dschane View Post
                    I thought it was with regard to certain plastics, such as the kind 22Designs uses. Voile once told me it has no effect on the plastic it uses in their bindings, but other than that chatter, I know zilch about the stuff.
                    Maybe so, but you don't really need a Loctite type thread locker just something to prevent vibration induced loosening, why bother with Loctite and take the chance?

                    Beeswax or candlewax will work fine.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thanks for the reminder!

                      For a safe threadlocking alternative, Vibra-Tite VC-3 Threadmate is probably the most popular "soft locking" option for applications where you want to avoid the anaerobic types that degrade some plastics.

                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Group-VC-3_01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	81036

                      I've used it on binding inserts with good success, but never thought to use it on boot fittings. Haven't tightened my boot fittings in a couple seasons, so it's probably over-due. Might add some VC-3 too while I'm in there.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        So sad ...

                        http://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=70

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by !ski View Post
                          I am spreading the love around.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Everything is the same. Except the dog is on the right. Weird.

                            Click image for larger version

Name:	xray-glasses.gif
Views:	1
Size:	5.5 KB
ID:	81044

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X