The Chaplin thread: boiling my T1...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Chaplin thread: boiling my T1...

Al dente! Seriously, I want to soften my T1 Bumble bee bellows... Can't ski well with these. With my T2, I can make some beautifull (well, I think) carved turns. With the BB, I can't finish a turn without catching an edge (when I am standing, before the initiation of a new turn). I think it has something to do with the pressure on the rear ski (not enough, inequal...). So here I am. What is the recepe? I guess you can't put them directly in a pot filled with water on a burner—the sole being in direct contact with the bottom of the pot which is in direct contact with burner. That's silly but, is there a trick?

What binding and setting? A bit of help from a more active setting helps me over come stiffer bellows.
    Lift served and proud of it.

Comment

If you just got the boots, give them some time. Stiffer boots take some getting used to. You may have to "squat" more to telemark versus bending at the waist old school.

Boiling will not help, cause eventually the material returns to room temp and stiffens again, plus I think you need really hot temps to flex plastic in boots.

Hard to beat t2's.

Comment

I cannot speak for all situations or much - but one factor is as boots "rocker up" they will appear to soften.

The rocker allows leg and shin to pressure the boot and break the bellow (that little initial free rotation.)

I wish I had before and after pictures - all my 75 mm boots have rockered up, especially T2, just ridiculous.

Some T1 had/have intentional "flat soles", don't know how much, if at all they develop rocker.

BTW, on the old telemarktips, complaints about the difficulty of going from T2s to T1s were common,
        but usually folks grew into them (I suspect they rockered up a little.)

-r

Comment

I 2nd what !ski said. Rocker is a huge factor in how a boot feels. When you are used to it, and boot without it just feels plain wrong, and vice versa for exactly the reasons stated, that little bit a free rotation lets you get your knee over the ball of the foot (or closer to it) and makes it much easier to break the bellow. I can ski 3pins no problem at all on nicely rockered T2X's, and very, very well used pair of 2nd hand BB T1's. I tried on a fresh pair of T1's, and it was a complete blood bath. I felt like i didn't know how to ski.

and yes, T2 series boots seem to develop more rocker. might have to do with starting with more rocker, or that people ski them lower, or the plastic blend used. No first hand experience with the current Eco version, but every other version build a lot of rocker.

Time is likely your friend. If you decide it is rocker, you might try putting the boot in the binding, and strapping it into a tele position, and leaving it that way for a few days. pull the liner, and stuff junk up in the toe box and make sure the bellows looks like it is in a "normal" position, and not kinked or buckled or anything.

Comment

What kind of bindings are you using? T1's need a strong active binding even the older ones like yours. If you don't have a stout binding, you are wasting your time trying to boil the boots into a softer mode. Man up and get some beef bindings.
            "Just say no to groomed snow"

Comment

I imagine those bumble bees have had a fair amount of days on them, I bet they're as soft as they're gonna get. Is the T2 you're referring to the old blue T2? I skied those and they developed big rocker and were especially soft compared to a new pair of black/grey T1's.

Comment

Originally posted by repete View Post
                I imagine those bumble bees have had a fair amount of days on them, I bet they're as soft as they're gonna get. Is the T2 you're referring to the old blue T2? I skied those and they developed big rocker and were especially soft compared to a new pair of black/grey T1's.
                Mine are fairly new (BB), no rocker... My T2, the version with the thermo liner & 3 buckles (just before the T2 eco) are fairly new too... It's called new old stock...

When we heat metal, it sometimes looses it's strenght... it is true for alu and brass and... What about plastics?

Comment

Back in the day (when I was a young'n) Mitch interviewed the CEO (?) of Scarpa ... and in the video ... (about NTN boot cracking)
                  the CEO said a) the plastics don't soften over time b) all boots develop rocker to some degree. I think ... but I dare anyone to prove
                  me wrong by posting a link to said video! Ha!

Wind! Snow! and then more Wind! gads ...

-r

Comment

Remove the liners, tilt the boot at 45 degrees onto the toe, pour in boiling water until it covers the bellows, let it sit for a minute, pour water out and dry, put liners back in the boot, put the boots into bindings and flex it. It might be a sugar pill, but then rocker is real so perhaps bellows do soften. I prefer stiff bellows myself. You probably need more binding...

Comment

Originally posted by Quadzilla View Post
                      What kind of bindings are you using? ... Man up and get some beef bindings.
                      Axl, HH, Vice will all do the job. So might Enzo.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

Originally posted by Dostie View Post
                        Axl, HH, Vice will all do the job. So might Enzo.
                        I am using a voile release plate... I am limited to 3 holes pattern: the most active I use is the Cobra. I also use the Voile 3 pin Hardwire. I would need to change the release plate for a telebry prior to move up the activity scale...

Thnaks NBen for the recepe...

Comment

Originally posted by Rodbelan View Post
                          I am using a voile release plate... I am limited to 3 holes pattern: the most active I use is the Cobra. I also use the Voile 3 pin Hardwire. I would need to change the release plate for a telebry prior to move up the activity scale...

Thnaks NBen for the recepe...
                          This is the main reason why you can't bend your boots. Beware of boiling teleboots, the glue joint between the Vibram sole and the plastic can delam and the soles start coming off.
                          "Just say no to groomed snow"

Comment

First it's not the bellows that are stiff, it's the sole. The bellows just allow flex in a plastic boot. Nothing but time and flexing will break the sole in.

Comment

When I went to 4 buckle T1s the initial stiffness bugged me (previous was 3 buckle T1)....I actually dremelled some grooves/gouges/lines into the back of the tongues to soften the flex, which helped....toe bending was never a problem.....they have softened up enough that I got new tongues (I think about 35$ from Scarpa in Boulder through the mail) this year for more stiffness.....Chet

Comment

Working...
                              X