Zipfit Liners + NTN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zipfit Liners + NTN

Has anyone used a zipfit liner in their tele (NTN) boot?

I have low volume feet, and no NTN boot has ever fit me well. I’m currently on a pair of TX Comp’s and the local bootfitter just suggested a zipfit.

I’ve never heard of them. Mostly great reviews other than cost/weight/touring. On the last point, Google tells me that they’re not the greatest for (AT) touring due to local of range of motion. I can deal with the extra weight but I’m worried that the lack of ROM could be an issue for in bounds tele’ing (my tele tours are short enough I can suffer with the weight and lack of ROM, especially if I regain better edge control).

But my intuition liners aren’t actually tele specific so I’m not sure they have much ROM either so what do I know.

thanks.
    Last edited by TheElk; 5 June 2021, 10:50 PM.

I'm a little confused on why you're concerned about limited ROM for in-bounds skiing, assuming you are locking your tour block i.e. not skiing in tour mode. I don't have zip-fit liners, but I do use Intuition FX race liner https://intuitionliners.com/shop/race-fx/ which is very stiff in the uppers, which may limit the ROM. I've never noticed any issues, however, even on Spring hikes.

..... or are you perhaps thinking of bellows flex instead of ROM??

Comment

The Elk,

Agree with PL, what do you mean by ROM? Also, what do you mean by low volume foot? A low volume foot can be wide or narrow, but the key factor is the height of your foot - how high is your instep, the point where the lower leg transitions to the foot - the top side of your arch, the navicular zone. If it is low, you can easily take up volume by adding pads to your liner in that transition zone (under the instep strap on Scarpas). No need to change liners, just modify what you have a little.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

Thank you both for the replies.

The TL/DR version is that the underlying issue is that my foot does not take up enough space in a liner after it gets packed out even a little bit. I'm concerned that a zipfit would be too stiff/uncomfortable/something to flex the boot as much as I'd like.

the longer version: When I say that I'm concerned with ROM, I mean that I'm worried that the liner is too stiff/something that when I apply pressure on the shin/front part of it, I can't flex the boot in the way that I want. I had that happen in the past when I tried an Intuition aftermarket liner to remedy my problem. I don't know anything about Zipfit's other than what google tells me, but my take on their "problem with touring" is that they are too stiff/something that when you apply forward pressure, they don't move much (which obviously makes them great for pure downhill skiing but a PITA to tour in).

What I mean by low-volume foot is that my foot doesn't take up enough space in the liner. The problem for me with the pads/etc. adjustments is that they never last. I've gone to what are widely regarded as some of the best boot fitters in the world -- e.g. Earl at Sports Loft SLC, Boot Ninja in Hakuba -- and although they can remedy the problem in the short term, the liner packs out again quickly enough (and my foot is "small" enough) and there's only so much padding you can add to the ankle/relevant areas to remedy it. And then my foot is swimming in the liner again (and another layer of padding gets added).

After 25+ years of teleing, I switched to AT a couple of years ago for most of my tours because Dynafit AT boots fit me like a glove, and I had forgotten what a difference that makes.

But I missed tele-ing, and I promised a mate that I'd ski with him this year, which will mostly be in bounds. so i bought a pair of TX Comp's and even though they fit me now after a proper fitting, I know they'll pack out soon.

My local bootfitter (who is one of the best in NZ) recommended zipfits, and the key difference appears to be that they have a cork composite lining that (1) packs out more slowly than foam; and (2) can simply be refilled when it packs out.

My concern based on the google-found "zipfits aren't great for touring due to ROM" is that they'd end up being like the intuitions that I didn't like (too stiff to properly flex the boot).

Which led to the post.

Thx.

Originally posted by Dostie View Post
        The Elk,

Agree with PL, what do you mean by ROM? Also, what do you mean by low volume foot? A low volume foot can be wide or narrow, but the key factor is the height of your foot - how high is your instep, the point where the lower leg transitions to the foot - the top side of your arch, the navicular zone. If it is low, you can easily take up volume by adding pads to your liner in that transition zone (under the instep strap on Scarpas). No need to change liners, just modify what you have a little.

Originally posted by Paul Lutes View Post
        I'm a little confused on why you're concerned about limited ROM for in-bounds skiing, assuming you are locking your tour block i.e. not skiing in tour mode. I don't have zip-fit liners, but I do use Intuition FX race liner https://intuitionliners.com/shop/race-fx/ which is very stiff in the uppers, which may limit the ROM. I've never noticed any issues, however, even on Spring hikes.

..... or are you perhaps thinking of bellows flex instead of ROM??

Comment

Late to the party but maybe can add something - I'm a huge Zipfit fan.

I too have a low volume foot - my foot is very tiny any way you measure it and have a very low instep. I got my first Zipfit liners 10 years ago and finally got a fresh pair this year. But still using the old ones mostly. Probably about 400 days alpine on the OGs first, about as many days telemarking as well after making the switch 6 seasons back. I shift them to all my boots and don't use any factory liners. So Dalbello Krypton to start, then T-Race, then shared with EVO WC now.

I think they are fantastic liners and can last a very long time. I think for telemark they get better with age - that is also a detriment - they are very stiff at first. There will be pains breaking them in, I've had toe smash issue on the new pair. Touring and skiing.

I'd say go for it and break them in on the alpine setup then throw them in your tele boots
          Last edited by JackO; 15 June 2021, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Exactly what I was hoping to hear. Appreciate the advice on breaking them in. Thanks, mate.

Originally posted by JackO View Post
            Late to the party but maybe can add something - I'm a huge Zipfit fan.

I too have a low volume foot - my foot is very tiny any way you measure it and have a very low instep. I got my first Zipfit liners 10 years ago and finally got a fresh pair this year. But still using the old ones mostly. Probably about 400 days alpine on the OGs first, about as many days telemarking as well after making the switch 6 seasons back. I shift them to all my boots and don't use any factory liners. So Dalbello Krypton to start, then T-Race, then shared with EVO WC now.

I think they are fantastic liners and can last a very long time. I think for telemark they get better with age - that is also a detriment - they are very stiff at first. There will be pains breaking them in, I've had toe smash issue on the new pair. Touring and skiing.

I'd say go for it and break them in on the alpine setup then throw them in your tele boots
            Last edited by TheElk; 18 June 2021, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X