Lynx V2 Claw issues and Too Stiff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lynx V2 Claw issues and Too Stiff

Just got my first NTN setup and I went for a tour today. The transition from 75mm to NTN was really unnoticable for me. I was able to ski low knee to the ski like my 75mm Axls and noticed a bit of improvement on my turns and engagement. However my first outing was one I hope to forget even though we had over 12 inches of fresh powder.

Within the first 5 minutes of the tour my big smile turned upside down and was extremely frustrating. The claw kept on engaging when in tour mode. I would clear snow out then few minutes later it would engage again and again! Then I took my boots off, cleared the snow out, then had problems with getting the tech toe to hold into pins. One ski kept falling off. After clearing all the snow out, my pins finnaly set and I decided to put my climbing bails up and not deal with the claw.

Any feed back on preventing premature claw engagement?

Lastly, the binding is way too stiff when in ski mode. Maybe im just not use to the way NTN engages but the binding is more stiff then my Axl in postion 2 with new springs. My Axl, I ski it in Positon 1 and after a month or so the springs are just right stiffness. Will the Lynx eventually soften and be more forgiving? Im running in Position 1 now. With the springs getting softer over time I can see the claw having more problems engaging when in tour mode. It would be nice to have some spring and flex plate options.

Are you using a spacer? That helps with the claw issue, though it makes the springs stiffer. And V2 is noticeably stiffer than V1. It probably will soften in time, but Lynx in particular feels stiffer, at least to me. Outlaw can be made softer and I suspect 22D figures a way for the Lynx to replicate the Outlaw's range.

Comment

Nope my first tour was with no spacers. I'm gonna try a spacer today and see if the claw still grabs in deep snow.

Comment

Well I did another tour with 1 spacer on each spring. The claw did grab but only once and I ended up failing sideways in the snow and cusing up a storm to get the binding off my feet. After that I then cleared snow out for the tech binding to finally set which took about 5 or 10 minutes. Seems kinda dangerous with the way the claw behaves. If im going up and the claw grabs its such a pain to put the claw back down because I havent gotten the technique down with hitting it with a pole. Too early to tell but so far I can't stand this binding! Transitions are so much easier on my Axls. I need a good solid month before I come to the conclusion if I hate this binding or not.

Comment

telenerd,

Great to hear there were no transition issues between AXL (75mm) and Lynx (NTN) - at least as far as the turns go. You get the balance award from the technique critics on this site.

dschane was correct to advise spacers. I was going to ask, but sounds like that's covered.

As for learning how to release the toes with a pole, that's just something you will figure it out. Most who have migrated to 2-pin bindings agree it's worth it for the earning efficiency.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Dostie. Yeah I think I just need more time on them. Ive never had tech toe so not use to the pins. As for the claw issues it seems the springs are not quite long enough to tension the claw. Adding spacers seems like a bandaid to the claw problem. Longer and slightly softer springs may be the golden ticket or an additional soft small spring added to each cable to bridge gap and put more tension on claw without making the binding even stiffer.

Hopefully the Lynx will soften up as time goes on.

Comment

One spacer on each spring makes those puppies super stiff. I didn't like the way they skied. You might try just one spacer on each binding.

I am amazed (not being an engineer by a longshot) at how much of a difference the wafer-thin change in thickness of the plates has made in stiffness/feel between 2019 version and the 2020 version. Makes me realize that there are 1/2 dozen ways 22D might offer a greater range in stiffness/activity in the future.

Comment

the stiffness of a rectangular cross section bending beam scales with the cube of the thickness. that's why wafer thin differences made such a big difference.

i don't have lynx, but i suggested this in another thread and it might work, wave washers instead of spacers might tension the claw enough to keep it in tour mode, but then collapse under skiing so they don't amp up the activity as much as solid spacers.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonq View Post
                  the stiffness of a rectangular cross section bending beam scales with the cube of the thickness. that's why wafer thin differences made such a big difference.

i don't have lynx, but i suggested this in another thread and it might work, wave washers instead of spacers might tension the claw enough to keep it in tour mode, but then collapse under skiing so they don't amp up the activity as much as solid spacers.
                  I'll investigate and try that option.

Comment

Well I heard from 22 Designs. There was a batch of bindings that were sold to dealers in 2019 that the cable guide that keeps the claw assembly together is too long by 2mm or so. If you remove all the power spacers and put the lynx back together, then click the claw in tour mode, there should be no gap between cam stop and flex plate. Mine has about 2 or 3mm gap. Contact 22 designs and they will send new cable guide.

When the springs are well broken in im not sure a slightly shorter cable will fix claw grab issues? It seems the Lynx needs slightly longer springs. It would also be nice if the claw had a tab or hole sticking out that fits a ski pole to unlatch it from ski mode. With the shorter cable or more tension on claw it may be more difficult to get it out of ski mode.

Comment

Installed the shorter cable from 22 designs. Only had 1 claw grab today while in touring mode. The temps were in the 40s and the snow was kinda sticky. So the shorter cable seems to be the fix.

One thing I'm not use to is the dam tech toes. If I want to rest at the top of a run and remove my skis, you really have to watch out for snow packing under the springs that engage the tech pins. Using a voile strap and clearing out the fittings and under springs seems to work but it's kinda a pain compared to my 75mm setups where I just put my foot in and engage the heel throw and go.

I also had problems with snow packing under the main plate that turns to ice and causes the binding not to set flat on ski.

I'm trying pretty hard to like this binding. Need some more time on it.
                      Last edited by telenerd; 22nd February 2020, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X