BD O1 bindings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BD O1 bindings

I have have an old BD O1 - Havoc rig - 2006 vintage. I noticed the now bindings seem to wobble a little on the ski as if the screws are loosening. The bindings were mounted by BD - most likely glued in - and I cannot simply re-tighten the screws. I am worried these binding are in the process of pulling out of the skis. Can these be re-tightened somehow?

Tighten the binding mounting screws and then tighten the axle screws. You might pull the bindings and put some new glue in the holes.

Comment

Used the existing holes to install inserts - at least on the rear mounting holes.

Use heat to break screws loose from the glue.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

I agree with these guys ^^^^^

at the very least unscrew the screws, dribble more glue (I like gorilla wood glue cause it expands), and reinsert them.

If the skis are fairly new and you foresee using them much longer then inserts are the way to go.

A last option would be to move the mount a bit fore or aft and plug the old holes - cheaper than inserts with the efficacy of a new mount.

IIRC the 01's were infamous for pulling out with their strong underfoot springs and a 4 hole pattern. Good you caught it before it became catastrophic.

Comment

The pivot points of BD01's are known to wear, get sloppy, and develop noticeable play in them... I don't know if that is your issue, but it bares looking at also.
          the fall line is your friend.... resistance is futile

Comment

Originally posted by Dostie View Post
            Used the existing holes to install inserts - at least on the rear mounting holes.

Use heat to break screws loose from the glue.
            I think a heli-coil for the rear screws would be better than inserts. The threads are coarser and expand when you drive the screw in.

Comment

If you have the newer version with the green heel throws, they are more durable but eventually they do loosen. There is no way to tighten something and fix it. I got about 80 or so days before the older versions(blue heel throws) wore out. Most the wobble is noticeable by grabbing the toe piece and wiggling it left to right to left etc…, then you notice the play in the pivot part. There is some tolerance so you can still ski it fine for a while longer.

Comment

I was able to tighten the screws on the pivot hinge pin and it tightened them back to normal. You do have to use an allen wrench on both sides. I don't use O1s anymore but never had the problems other folks seem to lament.

Comment

Thanks for the input - especially the links for doing this. It is definitely the 4 mounting screws that are loosening - I can wiggle the whole binding a little, it is not the pivot. Inserts seem to be the way to go. I really like these old skis (8 yrs old now) and it would be great to get a couple more seasons out of them before shelling out for new skis.

Comment

A certain vintage of old O1s were known to have screws that were just a little bit short. If you can remount with a little longer screw, they will hold tighter. Ask your local shop if they have any binding screws they can spare and measure to be sure they aren't too long because you don't want to dimple your base trying to correct this binding.

Comment

Just took the skis to my local shop - they were able to tighten the screws ~1/4 turn with their posidrive that seemed to make them nice and snug. They recommended not to go through the whole insert thing at this point as they felt that the holes are not stripped. I do think there is a little wiggle in the pivot but probably nothing to worry about. I have one more day tour planned - we will see how these guys hold up.

Below are a couple pics of me enjoying these old skis a couple weeks ago in the Little Yoho Valley (sporting an Albertan sun hat):

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1150003.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	81530Click image for larger version

Name:	P1150011.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	81531

Comment

Working...
                      X