Broken NTN Freeride- can it be fixed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken NTN Freeride- can it be fixed?

It's out of warrantee- can it be fixed and/or is it worth doing? It's the silver metal toepiece:

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	89311
    Attached Files
    Reluctant enthusiast, part-time crusader, half-hearted fanatic

A repair won't work, I guess you could get a donor pair and drill out the rivet and replace the toe bail. I have a pair of June 2010 Orange Freerides, they're yours for $100 plus shipping if you want them.

Comment

Originally posted by airinwrite View Post
      A repair won't work, I guess you could get a donor pair and drill out the rivet and replace the toe bail. I have a pair of June 2010 Orange Freerides, they're yours for $100 plus shipping if you want them.
      I actually have a third binding so I'm ok for now- I was really just wondering if Rotte or anyone could replace the toe piece for not too much. I think I'll just ski my extra binding until something breaks and get new ones. Then I'll have to decide whether to stick with Freerides or go Freedom for my resort skis- I have Freedoms on my BC skis and like them, I wonder if I'd miss any power or durability of the Freerides at the resort?
      Reluctant enthusiast, part-time crusader, half-hearted fanatic

Comment

I know Scarpa keeps odd parts for both boots and bindings and have sent me odd parts for free or at a very low cost. Since it was common for that part to break maybe you would be in luck. I don't know how you would remove that piece but it is sill worth a call or email with pic.

Comment

Mine broke in the exact same place a couple of years ago. I contacted Scarpa, no luck, I was out of warranty. Then I contacted Telemark-Pyrenees, where I bought them. I shipped T-P the bindings, and they shipped me a new pair.

Comment

Call 22 Designs. That's what Rotte would say

Comment

Well, I finally broke a toe cup! I couldn't even see it when I looked down. I put my boot in the binding, rode up to the top of the hill, then fell hard on 4 consecutive left turns. Something didn't seem right about the left binding, but I didn't actually see what was broken until I got down to the bottom of the hill and took the binding off. Sure enough broken toe bail. Of course I resprained the knee I sprained early in the season skiing into ditch before the snowfall filled in the holes. I had the extra parts to fix the binding in 20 minutes. My knee isn't having as much luck this season...
              the fall line is your friend.... resistance is futile

Comment

Originally posted by tele.skier View Post
                Well, I finally broke a toe cup! I couldn't even see it when I looked down. I put my boot in the binding, rode up to the top of the hill, then fell hard on 4 consecutive left turns. Something didn't seem right about the left binding, but I didn't actually see what was broken until I got down to the bottom of the hill and took the binding off. Sure enough broken toe bail. Of course I resprained the knee I sprained early in the season skiing into ditch before the snowfall filled in the holes. I had the extra parts to fix the binding in 20 minutes. My knee isn't having as much luck this season...
                First break after 10 years on the same binding? That's an excellent rate for any kind of ski gear.

Comment

I started experimenting with freerides many years ago. I repair them and modify them so they don't break. I have 5 pair of them, all on various skis so none of them get too hammered repeatedly. I was always as a loss to explain why James broke numerous toe cups and I never broke a single one until now. I still don't know why one person breaks them more than another person, but now that it happened to me too, I'm sure that it's just the weakest point of the binding holding the boot in place and it breaks eventually. Simple as that. I know more than a few people had breakage there, and now #metoo.

The binding that broke was on a hardpack ski, which makes sense to me, since hardpack snow allows a skier to load a lot of force into the ski because hardpack snow isn't easily moved by the ski, like unpacked snow. I just wanted to add my data point to the thread
                  the fall line is your friend.... resistance is futile

Comment

Mine got welded by an iron worker and are holding...

Comment

Originally posted by levieu View Post
                      Mine got welded by an iron worker and are holding...
                      x2 - although mine wasn't an actual iron worker.

Comment

Working...
                      X