X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt J
    replied
    Dynafit is using torx.

A lot of folks don't realize that the screw head is supposed to strip. It's an engineer's way of keeping you from over-torquing until the post and head separate. I think pozi has been preferred for mounts to keep folks from ripping through wood and foam and ending up with a "spinner."

Really any of these fasteners should be adequate. If you're struggling with the loctite bond then maybe using a solder iron to warm the screw up and expand the post to break the seal will help.

Leave a comment:

• djhutch
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt J View Post
    Jon over at Binding Freedom has had pozi screws manufactured because that's what's available at most ski shop benches and you can have one screwdriver in your repair kit for conventional mounts and inserts.
    I just picked up my first bunch of pozi screws from Binding Freedom and welcome the switch from the the 3mm hex headed screws that have been the standard for both Binding Freedom and Quiver Killer up until now. Hated how little purchase and torque you could get with a 3mm allen wrench especially when I used the wrong loctite and screw and insert became bonded. There are better screw heads than pozis and I have been surprised how long they have been the standard for bindings (I think Dynafit just moved away from pozidrive last year) but they are still much better than 3mm hex.

Leave a comment:

• B__
    replied
    Thanks for checking.

Leave a comment:

• Dostie
    replied
    B,

Correction. I'm using M5 pan-head screws with a 3mm Allen driver. Thread depth is only 8mm, not 12.

Leave a comment:

• Dostie
    replied
    Don't have my skis handy to double check, but I think MattJ is correct - 12mm long, M5 threads. I'm using old Voile screws from the era when they were providing machine threaded screws with the bindings for K2 inserts. Will confirm later today on length, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Matt J
    replied
    Well, the insert size is standardized so you have to use an M5 screw. I think the thread pitch is standardized as .80 mm right-handed on most M5's so that much work is done for you. For most insert users the two big questions are: how long? and what head?

How long is simply long enough to engage the insert and not too long to bottom out. It's best to use a caliper to determine the depth and stack height. Trial and error with a bunch of screws and a grinder or dremmel is how I've done this in the past and would certainly encourage you to err on short over long. The worst mistake folks make is to confuse the screw bottoming out in the insert for torque from the threads tightening down on the materials.

Jon over at Binding Freedom has had pozi screws manufactured because that's what's available at most ski shop benches and you can have one screwdriver in your repair kit for conventional mounts and inserts. I for one like a metric socket cap probably due to being a cyclist and that they're readily available. I have used simple phillips #2's flat heads because you can get them at a hardware store. Opt for zinc plated or stainless steel as they will get wet. I don't use thread locker but also check the thread frequently especially if I feel any vibration or "play." As far as if anyone has already checked the stack height and can simply say 12 mm M5 .80 mm threads etc. I don't know...
    Last edited by Matt J; 11 February 2014, 02:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• B__
    started a topic Inserts for TTS, Fastener Sizing

Inserts for TTS, Fastener Sizing

I am looking to install inserts (Quiver Killer, Binding Freedom, ...) in a few pairs of skis for TTS bindings. I am specifically looking to size the bolts for the "Mounting Support Blocks." The blocks are the gold bits pictured below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-TTS-mounted.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	89309

Does anyone know which bolts will work best?
Working...
X