Binding quandary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Binding quandary

I've got a screaming deal on some Prior Husumes, but am in a little quandary about what binding to put on there. These would be sort of an all around set up, in bounds and out. (Although I also have an in-bounds alpine rig, and some Vector BCs for mixed terrain). Was thinking some Switchback x2, as I have on my old Chargers skis; I like this rig. But maybe want some Enzo bindings - more active for lift skiing, maybe less rocker launch?

Main question - are Enzos really only 3.9 lbs. all up? I have 3.4 lbs. on my Switchback x2, although they are advertised as less (screws vs. no screws maybe). 3.9 lbs. isn't that much more weight for skinning up! Axls are heavier - don't need that much burl I think. I have demo'ed Hammerheads, Enzos, and O1, and liked the first two.

Let's see - 6'1", 165#, using T2x boots.

Other more expensive options: NTN freedom, new TX boots. That's maybe no more weight, but an additional circa $800, for releasable basically. Not so sure those things work well, though. OR, tech bindings with brakes and Maestrale boots, save about 1.5 lbs. over the Switchbacks options, but again an extra $800.

I know, just have to decide already, but maybe someone has some perspective.

Well, that ski is big and powerful, do you think trying to ski them with mid level tele boots and bindings is the best choice? If it were me I would go AT tech bindings and four buckle tech fitted boots. Then end up with a ski that will be fun and easy both BC and resort skiing on all conditions. I ski X2's and I ski T2x's. Great setup for BC and maybe resort with a 95 waisted ski. But IMO, not enough power for a 110w heavier ski ripping up resort snow.
    "Just say no to groomed snow"

Comment

As an aside, the X2's are supposed to be 3.125 lb (and that should include all the hardware).

As for rocker launch, the boots you have are probably more responsible for that than the bindings.

As for getting new bindings, I'd put first inserts in the Husumes and start with the X2's since you already own them. If you want to add the Enzos into the mix, it looks like you'd only have to add another two holes since, as far as I can tell (and you would want to verify this), the other four holes match the traditional telemark mount.

As for going NTN or TTS, since I'm staying on the sidelines a few more years while the tinkerers innovate, I got nothing to offer there.

Comment

Doug G,

Enzo's will weigh a bit more on the scale than Switchback X2. Where Enzo has the advantage is the ability to shed snow and not ice up. SW X2 has a pretty low ice quotient, but I've noticed it packs under the toe more than the original Switchback, and Enzo doesn't pack at all.

As for the other options - depends on when you're ready to embrace the future.

75mm tele is mature, solid, reliable, functional. If you love your boots, hang in there.

If you need new boots, then NTN is a good road to hoe. The Freedom has a smooth flex for turning and tours good but not as good as a free pivot. TTS gives superb touring, and great skiing, but the jury is out on torsional rigidity compared to NTN. Don't forget Spike.

There is a lot of improvement possible with TTS, but most of that will be with regard to conveniences for preventing ice build up, changing the cable pivot point, crampons, climbing bars, etcetera. The basic performance is solid, even if it looks like a homebrew binding. I was leaving some alpine skiers in the dust on the groomers yesterday. Half that was the boot/binding (TX w/TTS), half was having a ski that could carve on hard snow, even in tele mode (K2 Wayback). That ski was like a rocket yesterday.

There's more to the equation than weight, but if weight is a concern, TTS is 1 lb. per foot. NTN boots aren't as light or flexible in the cuff as AT boots, but AT boots don't tele for squat, or walk as well as a boot with a bellows.
        Last edited by Dostie; 6 February 2014, 12:40 PM.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

I'm a big fan of my Enzos, but I have not skied x2 or Axls (came from BD o1s). They are on the beefy side. Very active/powerful and tour beautifully. The only issue I've had is that they require a very tight tolerance for placement of the heel piece. Puzzling at first, but once you figure it out it's really a non-issue.

I'm almost 50/50 resort/touring. What works very well for me is a T2x touring and a T1 in area. You may overpower the boot with a T2x/Enzo combo if you ski aggressively in area.

Comment

I have a pair of the 181 cm. Prior Husumes in the normal glass lay up. I've had them mounted for tech bindings since I got them but the first owner mounted them tele first. She complained that with the fairly aggressive tip rocker that the sweet spot is pretty small. I've experienced the same thing with other rocker skis. I love them heels locked. They turn very easily and have a lot of float. I'd prefer they were a bit stiffer, but the little heft gives them just enough to ski confidently with a little charge in your step. I'm on Maestrales. I toured on AXL/T1's for a season, but just couldn't keep validating the extra weight. I'd say the Switchback X2 would be my binding on these boards if I was going T2.

Comment

Thanks all. These are the XTC version in 181cm, almost the same length, weight, and width as my old Chargers, so I think T2x and SW x2 couldn't be bad! I'm hoping the Husume will be a little more versatile at the resort, as according to Off Piste mag reviews.

Dynafits and Maestrales are tempting, but would be no benefit over just using my alpine rig for resort skiing. But I like the release and light weight ideas. Otherwise, just an all around tele rig, should be fun.

Comment

Switchback X2
                or
                (if You have those additional money)
                TTS / NTN.
                Both will release (w/o guarantees).
                Both will require technique adaptation time.

I do not see the need to lock the heel anymore.
                I like all kinds of snow. The only poor snow I know of is ice. That better be climbed.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug G View Post
                  These are the XTC version in 181cm,
                  That's a nice looking ski. Pls. provide us with a review or some feedback after you get some time on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Dostie View Post
                    but AT boots don't . . . walk as well as a boot with a bellows.
                    Nah. My TLT5, TLT6 and (to a lesser extent) Maestrale RS walk and scramble way better than my F3s, T2s and T3s. TLT5/6 huge fore-aft ROM in walk mode trumps bellows. Are there any plans for a bellowed boot with tech binding toe inserts (i.e., TTS compatible) with Maestrale-esque walk mode ROM? That'd be sweet. (ETA: F1 fits that description)
                    Last edited by Big Steve; 7 February 2014, 02:42 PM.

Comment

The Husume is a great design. It was exactly what I was looking for when I bought it. Square tail and generous shovel, tip rocker, and a lot of acreage make it a great soft snow ski in the smaller than "dedicated powder ski" category. I would call the flex soft, but mine had been skied and drilled a couple of times by the time I rode them. I tooled around the resort a couple of days on them out of curiosity but there certainly not a hard snow ski. The tip rocker mimics a short turn radius and I would say they are the easiest ski to turn that I've ever owned. My wife uses them in the BC as a recent convert from snowboarding and it amazes me how easily she turns them. I wouldn't buy it simply because it is a "boutique" ski but the top sheets are easy on the eyes and the Canadian workmanship is noticeable. Locked into Speed Radicals and Maestrales this is my most confidence inspiring kit although it's a mid-range weapon as I opt for lighter gear if I'm out for a long day.

Comment

Working...
                      X