22D Lynx v1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 22D Lynx v1

Mounted them up last night, carpet tested, and then took them for a tour this morning. Short version -- sweet. Touring in the Dynafit toes is a dream. They are as smooth as it gets on the way down, may be more stiff than someone who likes HH1-2, or Voile Switchback.

Large weighs in at 525 g (all hardware included).

On the carpet:

There are three slic pin options. As Dostie reported in his beta review, there is no noticeable difference among them, at least I couldn't notice it on the carpet.

For stiffening up the springs, they include spacers which attach easily to the end of the cables (but you have to do that when the flex plates are off to do that, unless perhaps you have superhuman strength, so I don't think it will be an in-the-field adjustment option, at least not in 8 degree weather). For the large, you can add 1 or 2 spacers; for the small, you can add only 1. If you encounter the flaccid claw problem (also shown in Dostie's beta video), they recommend adding a spacer. Two spacers seemed noticeably stiffer than none and it was also harder to get the Main Plate into place with two spacers in there (super easy with one or none) -- Weston D put a video on FB that makes this more understandable. With no spacers, they'd feel more neutral, but it's hard to say how much more on the carpet. It might be useful to actually ski with one spacer in one binding and none in the other for comparison's sake.

It's super easy to engage the claw into ski mode and super easy to step out. There's no way to go from ski mode back to tour mode without exiting the binding.

On the snow:

I put the slick pin in the middle option and used one spacer. Conditions were extra frozen crust, but at least it wasn't breakable. On the up, nothing to add from my dreamy statement above. At 525 grams and paired with 7 lb skis, they are super light and the zero resistance is brilliant. On the down, the springs engage instantly. They are smooth and allow for deep knee bends. With one spacer, it felt equivalent to Outlaw on 4 with regular springs, maybe even a tad stiffer. I also made plenty of alpine turns given the frozen crap we were skiing and the Lynx is as powerful and quick edge to edge as any NTN binding I've tried.

The heels are fantastic, and they come pre-assembled. With a ski pole handle, it's super easy to lift one, then the other, drop one when both are up, etc. 90% of the time, the shorter riser is perfect for climbing.

They seem solid and dependable, but way too early to say.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5186.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	2.15 MB
ID:	90283
    Last edited by dschane; 3 February 2019, 02:37 PM.

Can you twist the heel out if you really try, to test release? Or, can you make it release if you kick the heel with your opposite boot?

Comment

Thanks dschane.
      the fall line is your friend.... resistance is futile

Comment

Looks good dschane, very promising binding here.

I’m curious if you can kick your heel out as xmatt asks.
        Last edited by Allan Fici; 3 February 2019, 06:44 PM.
        Function in disaster, finish in style.

Comment

Originally posted by Allan Fici View Post
          Dostie, It doesn't look like there is a lot of preload adjustment on the ends of these springs/ cables. How much is there? Do you think there might be room to incorporate brakes into the v2? How tall is the new heel assembly?

It sure does look robust unlike the Meidjo. Thanks!
          It may be more robust but my initial characterization would be "more immune" to trouble.

re: Preload. Haven't adjusted them yet. Factory setting seemed fine. The only thing adding pre-load DID with the beta version was make the claw work to latch onto the duckbutt. I did not discern much difference in tightening the compression springs. Perhaps that was because they kept setting smaller and smaller, so the increase in preload never did much more than affect the claw (temporarily - until I had to tighten it again for the claw to work).

re: Brakes? First someone has to come up with a brake that can lift AND retract inside the ski edges from the pressure at the toe, not a boot heel. May also require special alloy materials like unobtanium. Don't let my negativity kill your creativity.

Heel Assy: Rocks. 23mm high.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

the Lynx is as powerful and quick edge to edge as any NTN binding I've tried.

Curious to hear how this setup compares, skiing wise to the Outlaws? Same powerful edging? My other concern is, I will have to go back to my TX Pros. So a softer boot than I ski now, with my Comps. But Comps have no inserts.
            Of course, I could buy Crispis, but I want to wait and see if Scarpa come out with a new NTN tele boot.

Kudos to 22 designs for supporting the tele community, with these innovative bindings.
            Last edited by chamonix; 3 February 2019, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Given the conditions today, I have very little justification for confident commentary, but that's never stopped me before, so yeah, they have the same powerful edging as Outlaws, maybe a tad more. The initial tension/resistance on the deck is impressive.

As for release, my bench testing (i.e., whacks with a mallet), suggests you'll only come out if the toes release. Once one of the pins is free, slight rotation and you're out. The claw is super solid, though, so my guess is that it would have to be a serious fall. I've never released from the Outlaws, and I've never taken a fall where I wish I had released. Whatever that says about my awesome skiing.

No comment on the Comps since I don't have them, other than suck it up.

As for brakes, why wouldn't the ATK toe brakes work? Never fondled them, so I haven't a clue.

Comment

Thank you for the updates. While I love skiing on my Meidjos, the simplicity of this binding really has me intrigued.

Comment

Thanks dschane, I'll suck it up.

Comment

Originally posted by dschane View Post
                    As for brakes, why wouldn't the ATK toe brakes work? Never fondled them, so I haven't a clue.
                    Was thinking the same thing.

Comment

I got a pair of the boot-leash activated ATK stoppers, have not mounted them yet. But cant see why they wouldnt work with the Lynx. I can report when I have tested them on my Kreuz set-up, but it might be a while.

Comment

Thanks Dschane! Anyone tried them with the Crispi WC? I had some issues (and others here have too) with TTS coming out of toes of a stiff boot when the toes aren't locked out, curious if that carries over to the lynx.

Comment

Originally posted by jeff_er_why View Post
                          Thanks Dschane! Anyone tried them with the Crispi WC? I had some issues (and others here have too) with TTS coming out of toes of a stiff boot when the toes aren't locked out, curious if that carries over to the lynx.
                          Do you have the OMG/Wasatch toes?

Comment

I feel like we need a more comprehensive report on these bindings! Something to satiate my hunger until mine arrive.

Comment

Originally posted by jnicol View Post
                              I feel like we need a more comprehensive report on these bindings! Something to satiate my hunger until mine arrive.
                              Ha, I was thinking the opposite because mine still haven't left Driggs yet so it'll be a week or so before I get to form my own impressions. So, can everyone please leave their Lynx quiet in the box for about a week, some of us have only waited three years for this binding, what's the big hurry now?

Comment

Working...
                              X