Burnt Mountain Spike Tour and NT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burnt Mountain Spike Tour and NT

hey, I'm looking for some thoughts and user reports of how these bindings feel, function and proform.

I've read the EYT review and a few forum posts on here but I'd be interested to hear more on longer term use.

do they hold NTN boots well, any "slop" in the binding/boot interface? how is boot sole wear with the pins? torn up vibram soles would make me *armscross*

has anyone gotten an unwanted release? really gotta have faith in the heel which is my main concern.

and how does the tour model tour, and ski?? basically the same I imagine but I want to know. this is a weird binding, and I'm admittedly drawn to it coz Vermont, and a cheaper way to get on NTN gear. but it looks a little...unsophisticated. which is ok by me, but vein it's nothing like any other NTN binding I'm quite curious about the real world performance.

light weight, free touring, cheap, releaseable, step in, 'merican made bindings??? count me in...probably.
    Last edited by teledorth; 5 December 2015, 01:51 PM.

teledorth,
    Well it's not really a "releasable" binding. As far as chewing up your boot sole, the NTN version now doesn't have any pins, unless you want them. I have only used this binding with NTN boots, Scarpa TX , Prophets and Scarpa TX Pros. It's super easy to step in and then step out too. If you also have the Brakes, and Tour mode, then switching from ski to tour mode can be a bit fiddly.
    I skied this binding for years, and never had a release, until I depress the toe button to step out. . If you have the toe pins in the toecage, and get an ice buildup under the toe, (very rare) your boot can move a little bit in the toe cage. But the heel throw still holds you tightly in the binding..When the toe piece clamps down, it really gives a tight lock in the toe cage.
    Tour mode is very good, I skied mine up into Rogers Pass last year (2014) on an Avy 1 class. The heel lift is great too, easy to flick up or down with a ski pole. With parts available, it's easy to make repairs, everything is user replaceable.

The new, "Spike" Bulldog has a six hole mount now, very solid. Here are some pictures.
    (in the interest of full disclosure, a friend of mine, and ski partner developed the binding. I was one of his crash-test dummies)

[IMG]
    NT Bulldogs on my Zenoxides. Note this setup has the pins in the toecage

[IMG]
    NT Spike bulldog without the ski brakes. Makes it lighter and easier to switch to tour mode and back. Toe release under red arrow. Tour/ski selector under the yellow arrow.
    Note this setup has no toe box pins. Two empty threaded holes for the flat head screws are visible under toe bar.

[IMG]

Spike bulldog viewed from side. No ski brake.This shows the ROM for touring.

[IMG]

My Tonics, and Prophets on the skin track. NT Bulldog with ski brakes (retracted) Note heel lift is down.
    Last edited by chamonix; 8 December 2015, 07:26 AM.

Comment

thanks for the clarification. your images of the brakeless spike nt are actually what piqued my curiosity for this thread.

have you skiied any other NTN bindings to compare it to? did you feel the TX boot was a good match?

Comment

I have and do ski other NTN bindings. Mainly for the release, if I need it. At the resort I skied the NTN Freerides. The Freeride is heavy and clunky; i had toe crunch wth the binding with my TX boots on steep terrain out West when I get low. But you do get great edge control for carving with the Freeride and stiffer boots, like my Prophets. I think for really wide skis, (the BD Amps I own are 115 underfoot) the Freeride or Freedom offer a bit more edge control, than the NT Bulldogs. But I won't tour on Freeride or Freedom binding; too heavy, ROM for touring isn't as good.

The Freedom NTN binding has a better "ski feel" IMHO than the Freerides, so I now ski with the Freedoms a lot at the resort; for the release too. But for a light, lively ski/binding setup, and something you can put skins on and climb with it's hard to beat the NT Spike Bulldog.
        Louis skis on his DPS Wailers 112 Pure 3s with the Spike Bulldogs, and he likes this setup for touring with his Prophet boots. He even took them to Japan for JaPow . No ski brake.

The TX would be fine as a boot IMHO for skis up to say 100 waist on hardpack with the NT Bulldog. On powder you could drive an even wider ski. One point with the NT Bulldog, you can really drop a knee, and get low when you want to . See below. On the other NTN bindings, if I drop this low I get toe crunch, especially with the TX boots.

[IMG] LOUIS
        Last edited by chamonix; 8 December 2015, 07:32 AM.

Comment

vey cool. thanks for all the info. especially to hear about the ROM in ski mode and your feelings vs freedom and freeride. most helpful!

In regards to the Spike NT with pins, you say the new models no longer come equipped with them. does this version rely on just the clamping force of the bindings toe cage? or do they use the domed machine screws as nice seen in a few photos and read about on the bmd site? should probably just contact them to ask...

youve been very helpful, thanks again.

great photos too, such a good angles to capture the tele turn
          Last edited by teledorth; 7 December 2015, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Thanks for this discussion. For whatever reason (probably absence of release) I overlooked these in my previous search. I am gonna get a pair (provided the heel works with my TX Pro's tech heel).

I have Freedom (Blue/Green springs), Meidjo, and have ordered OMG TTS. I'm already wet, may as well jump in the deep end. And at the reasonable price, why not?

Comment

I think you could get them with either the domed machine screws or the pins. The domed screws work really well to hold the toe in, and for more grip, back the screws out a bit. Or remove the domed machine screws completely if you want.

Originally posted by teledorth View Post
              vey cool. thanks for all the info. especially to hear about the ROM in ski mode and your feelings vs freedom and freeride. most helpful!

In regards to the Spike NT with pins, you say the new models no longer come equipped with them. does this version rely on just the clamping force of the bindings toe cage? or do they use the domed machine screws as nice seen in a few photos and read about on the bmd site? should probably just contact them to ask...

youve been very helpful, thanks again.

great photos too, such a good angles to capture the tele turn

Comment

jnicol
                I ski the NT Spike bulldogs, with my TX Pros. No problem. Those were the only boots I took out to Rogers Pass in 2014

Comment

I have a couple generations of these on some niche skis in my quiver and I feel like they are a good option but they have a few little issues that can cause frustration. I'm skiing TX comps and have both freerides and freedoms on other skis.

1) On my pair at least, even without brakes, getting into tour mode can be difficult, when they haven't been in tour mode in a few days. As in, early morning, getting going "arggg, why is this so hard", subsequent transitions in the tour, have no problems.

2) My touring pair has a single-tube in the rear and once in a while the heel piece will rotate on the tube just slightly, which leads to the heel risers not staying up well because they aren't sitting flat on the ski. Doesn't happen often but is annoying to notice when you are halfway up a steep skin track and your heel riser starts falling down.

3) I have had snow stick around the latch mechanism, which can lead to not getting the toebox fully locked down and inadvertently popping back in to ski mode. The good part is that it is one very easy to reach spot, so once you know to where to look it is easy to ensure it is clear.

They ski nice, they're light, lots of range-of-motion compared to the Rotte options. Mine are not set up as active as my Rottefella options though, so I'm typically a bit less agressive on them.

I also really appreciate the step in function, which to me is a wonderfully smooth process compared to freerides or freedoms when you are standing precariously on some weird slope.

Comment

My touring pair has a single-tube in the rear
                    I have tried the twin tube setup too. While I find they give the smoothest progressive tele flex ever, the weight of the twin tubes means the toe cage doesn't tilt up high enough at the rear for an easy step in. Also, they weigh a lot more.

[IMG]

Twin tube heel NT Bulldogs on my Rapid Transits. Prophet NTN boots
                    Last edited by chamonix; 7 December 2015, 09:20 PM.

Comment

I've got a pair of the NT spikes sitting in the basement. Skied them last season on BD Currents and enjoyed them for skinning and powder. They weren't nearly as satisfying as the freedom/freeride on the hardpack, but that isn't quite what I bought them for. They have a nice flex however and give a great tele turn.

For the negative, I found the step in to be pretty fiddly. If you have TX comps, cutting into the heel to make a pocket for the binding is a pain in the ass. They look like they work great with garmont prophets however. On one tour, the epoxy holding the pivot bar for skinning failed, leaving me with a lost screw and a non-functioning binding with a few miles to skin out. Last complaint is that the brakes weren't very effective, making leashes mandatory.

I'll be retiring my pair once I receive a pair of outlaws (new-new-new ship date from 22d is mid to late dec now), but we've had a good time together. Louis had top notch customer service when I had questions or needed new screws.

Comment

Originally posted by jnicol View Post
                        I have Freedom (Blue/Green springs), Meidjo, and have ordered OMG TTS. I'm already wet, may as well jump in the deep end. And at the reasonable price, why not?
                        Thanking you in advance for your future comparison of OMG TTS to the Meidjo...and for your deep pocketed support of the telemark industry!

Comment

gofor 311 wrote
                          On one tour, the epoxy holding the pivot bar for skinning failed, leaving me with a lost screw and a non-functioning binding with a few miles to skin out.
                          We had that happen to a friends binding on a tour last season. You can unscrew (with a blade screwdriver) one of the dome shaped screws in the face of the toe cage, under the bar. Thread size (M5?) is the same. We put his binding back together, instant fix!
                          Last edited by chamonix; 9 December 2015, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by djhutch View Post
                            Thanking you in advance for your future comparison of OMG TTS to the Meidjo...and for your deep pocketed support of the telemark industry!
                            Happy to oblige. Although OPEC isn't making it easy for us Canadian's to buy anything in a foreign currency!

The Spike tours are in the mail. I have three sets of the same skis which helps isolate the binding differences. Will have Meidjo and TTS on same skis (type, not pair), but I think the Spike tours will have to go on a different set, at least for now as I am keeping the Freedoms on the third set for now.

Comment

Cham,

Sounds like you have a few set ups. What's your go to/ daily driver?

Comment

Working...
                              X