• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marker new tech binding, Kingpin"

link here
    http://marker.net/kingpin/

comments?
    It has also been reviewed over on Wild Snow..

looks like you have to remove your boot from the ski to "switch modes" like the Marker Duke/Baron family
    Last edited by chamonix; 7 September 2014, 09:36 AM.

Looks very cool. Price is steep, but I can definitely get behind the resort style heel piece.

If it's proven to be durable, simple, and effective as it sounds, this might replace some of the tele gear.

Comment

Wildsnow didn't seem to have the caveats that it had with the Vipec 1st gen offering, which is encouraging. I held off on Vipecs... Hoping to hear good things about Kingpin. Sounds like they will be in short supply until next season

Comment

Boy, if it holds up to resort and heavy BC use............. a Game changer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdGjZ5bBmPk
        "Just say no to groomed snow"

Comment

Some visuals with the bindings on real conditions.
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5NfDxHa1-0

Nice eye candy for sure. For me I really like the safety aspects as compared to Dynafits, mainly the release values. Looks to me to target the burley end of the Tech systems, ability to drive big skis resort or in the BC. For me, not interested. I don't ride tech at the resort or ski side country so looking to keep everything light for the climb and do the best I can on the decent. Maybe when and if I break my leg on my Dynafits I will change my tune. However, for those who really are strong and rip big lines in the BC and or skiers who want dual purpose, this looks great.

Comment

That looks pretty slick. Wouldn't it be ironic if advancements in tech bindings like the Kingpin not only produced better BC tech bindings but better bindings for Alpine skiers as well. Looking forward to the developement and evolution of these bindings!

Comment

Looks very cool.

Looking at the crampon, it almost looks like they used the same pin diameter as Dynafit--which would be sweet. It'd be nice if the crampons were cross-compatible.

Comment

I'll also be interested to learn ramp angle on these. I'm on speed radicals with tlt6 boots and the balance in steeper conditions isn't as dialed as my alpine setups. Anybody else experience this sensation? I'm gonna try the B&D 6.4mm toe shim this year and see if it makes a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by NOBS View Post
                  I'll also be interested to learn ramp angle on these. I'm on speed radicals with tlt6 boots and the balance in steeper conditions isn't as dialed as my alpine setups. Anybody else experience this sensation? I'm gonna try the B&D 6.4mm toe shim this year and see if it makes a difference.
                  I was talking to a ski tech about this issue, when he was mounting Dynafit Verticals on my new Cham 97HM skis. . That's another reason I like my older Vertical ST bindings. Better ramp angle..

Comment

Originally posted by NOBS View Post
                    I read that the Kingpin bindings have a neutral ramp angle. I also have TLT6's and Speeds. I do ski regular Alpine new generation gear at the resorts with a neutral ramp angle. I do notice a difference and I need to keep my shin angle foreward or go in the back seat but for me the big difference is that the boots are pretty wimpy compared to my Alpine boots. So, just takes a bit more thought when skiing them. Especially when I ski a lot of resort and then go touring with my AT rigs.

One point is that if you put a shim under the toe, you will limit the heel raise when climbing with the heel risers. IMO, the Speeds do not have very steep heel risers so you will lose some steep angle climbing ability. That is why I don't put a shim under my Speeds. As a matter of fact I added a heel riser kit from B&D to gain more angle.........

Comment

I regret posting on this thread.
                      Last edited by Andy M; 3 September 2014, 07:54 PM. Reason: thread has high moron factor

Comment

AndyM, yes I always ski in the more neutral setting with the TLT6 lean angle (15 vs 18 I think). Yet I still experience exactly the sensation that Quadzilla mentioned: feeling like I get in the back seat much more easily than my alpine rig. Also as Quadzilla mentioned, the TLT6p is much softer than my RX130/zipfit boots which are probably 140...so I too feel I need to ski much more "mindfully" when I'm skiing the AT rig aggressively (for me that means fast and maybe somewhat steep, but not hucking cliffs). I am thinking a more neutral ramp angle may help...but I'm also psyched to see if the aggressive lean angle boot position and driving shins forward (mentioned by Quadzilla) will help the AT balance before I shim the toes. I'm less concerned about touring lifters height as I am mostly constrained to short early morning burn sessions where I'm trying to get maximum workout in before I take kids out to ski....time and longer tours will probably change that opinion.

Comment

AndyM- I think Chamonix is saying that older model Dynafit bindings have a more 'neutral' ramp angle than the speeds, which is why he prefers them over the speeds....if you look at Bndskigear.com there is a ramp angle comparison chart which seems to back this up, unless I'm reading it backwards or referencing the wrong models.

Comment

Ramp angle.

You guys are funny.

Comment

Just for interest SkiMo say they will have the G3 ION PinTech binding available in mid September. $499 US

http://skimo.co/g3-ion-bindings
                              Last edited by chamonix; 3 September 2014, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X