Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I tore out two binding freedom insert. Hints and tips?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I tore out two binding freedom insert. Hints and tips?

    Hi I mounted my TTS bindings on lightweight touring skis using the complete toolset from Binding freedom and 24 hour expoxy. I was very careful to make nice threads in the most forward holes and used ample amounts of expoxy hardening insdie in a warm room.

    twisting the threading tool to hard might ruin threads, and the wood core is not very strong I believe. Yet the mount seemed to be strong and nice

    then fast forward, a lot of mounting, and perhaps too much torque. I twist out two of the inserts, skiing might have affected them too

    what do I do now? Steel wool and epoxy and new threads in the steel wool?

  • #2
    I think I found the reason, the locktite i foolishly used to tighten things down have poured down and killed the epoxy. Loosening all affected inserts, while dry inserts are intact

    Comment


    • #3
      That might be anyway. One ski has 4 loose inserts, the other is absolutely tight

      Comment


      • #4
        I would nix using loctite in all cases. Vibratite is much better and more appropriate for inserts.

        In the past, I have simply filled holes with epoxy and just re-drilled and re-tapped. Then, add epoxy (be generous with that -- better to have it overflow than not have enough -- and reinstall the insert. If that doesn't work, the solution may be rescue inserts (but that requires even bigger holes):

        https://quiverkiller.com/products/qk-rescue-insert-kit

        So, there's no harm in first trying to salvage the existing holes.

        Comment


        • #5
          Thank you!

          It looked like the threads were intact, the new inserts were difficult to screw in correctly.

          I used some alcohol wipes, vacum and ample amount of epoxy and fitted 4 new inserts

          Comment


          • #6
            hafskolt,

            I concur with dschane, Vibratite is the way to go, not Loctite. I've had a few inserts come loose too. Concluded the epoxy I used wasn't strong enough. Replaced the inserts with new ones and used JBWeld for the epoxy. Those inserts are solid now.

            ain't no turn like tele!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Dostie View Post
              hafskolt,

              I concur with dschane, Vibratite is the way to go, not Loctite. I've had a few inserts come loose too. Concluded the epoxy I used wasn't strong enough. Replaced the inserts with new ones and used JBWeld for the epoxy. Those inserts are solid now.
              If you do a lot of inserts, West's G Flex is worth it. It's expensive, but you can get large bottles of it. And it's probably cheaper than buying those single use packets of Hardman's Double Bubble.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by dschane View Post

                If you do a lot of inserts, West's G Flex is worth it. It's expensive, but you can get large bottles of it. And it's probably cheaper than buying those single use packets of Hardman's Double Bubble.
                Thank you! If you say so I am definitely getting that

                I used something called Casco Strong Professional Epoxy as I gathered 24hour epoxy really was the way to go.

                Next time I am giving the inserts a very generous cleaning too.

                I worry that inserts that are not exactly perpendicular (even using the Binding Freedom drilling guide) might strip and that can cause the screws to strip the threads and cause issues, yet I am not overly happy with the insert threads, they do not interact very well with the screws I might think, and I am no authority on the subject.

                The ski is OK now and the Moonlight TTS with elevated Skitrab Vario Toes ski great! There was not much point to using the Skitrab vario over ordinary Plum/Moonlight tech toes, but hey, The ones I had were broken and needed replacement anyway and they if anything are very light

                Comment

                Working...
                X