No announcement yet.

Idea for Meidjo tour mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The main problem is, because it's sitting on the round U-bolt, there's not really a good way of preventing it from rotating and sliding forward, and when it does, it interferes with the flex plate (which has the skier's weight on it). I removed as much material as I could, but it still interfered, and the material is thin enough that durability is a problem. If the material were stronger, then I'd worry about the flex plate. I agree that, if it works, the next step is to add a little lever, but I just don't have confidence in this design.

I actually think the best solution is something that attaches to the spring box and hinges in/out from the side. That would make it easy to access with gloves on, and keep it out of the way of the moving binding parts. I'm trying to figure out how to do that without modifying the spring box.

Comment

Since I have other projects on more proximal burners, here's my thought. The other issue with the Meidjo -- perhaps the last that needs addressing -- is snow packing in the claw when you're in tour mode. Why not kill two birds with one stone?

M​​aybe there could be a bail that pivoted on the heel pad, and flipped forward to cover the cavity in the claw, and, when latched, also pulled the whole thing backwards.

Or maybe (with an eye toward the day duckbutted tele boots have a good rearward ROM) a block could slide into the claw and also take the place of the heel riser by giving the duckbutt a higher place to land. Sure for some tours it's critical that the boot go all the way down, but something like this would work fine for 98% of the time I have skins on.

However it's accomplished, I think it should be combined with a solution for keeping snow out of the claw. If both of these problems get solved, the Meidjo would be pretty close to perfect. Yay for summertime ski projects.

Comment

Another idea, might be silly but here goes. Screw a loop of bungy cord onto the ski just behind the claw so the loop can be slipped onto one or both of the rear spring protusions behind the claw to hold them down close to the ski. This should do what the little wire loop on the red stick of death does. To go into tele mode, stretch it towards the back of the ski (maybe to behind the heel risers) to get it out of the way then step in. I haven't had the chance to use my Meidjo v2.1 yet because we all have to stay home Melbourne due to the pandemic so this idea may be impractical but I'd like to know what the brains trust thinks.

Comment

Goski Sorry to hear you're experiencing the lockdown. It's super cool to have Australians on the forum. Now you're like us northern hemisphere folks, if you can't ski you at least can talk about skiing.

I'm all for simple, but the red stick & wire clip perform another function that's critical to switching modes: they push and hold the springbox backward 8mm or so, so that the boot's duckbutt can come all the way down and not hit the front edge of the claw.

Apologies if I caused any confusion. My point was that moving the springbox back *may* not be necessary if the user's boots have lots of rearward ROM (no stock boots do), but you'd still want something for the duckbutt to land on to protect the front edge of the claw.

Comment

Thanks bobbytooslow for the explanation. I'd hoped the red stick was redundant as it seems to be a weak point. So it seems it is either find an alternate way to move the claw back enough like jtb is working on or a way to keep the duckbutt a little bit above the front edge of the claw. Think I'll be waiting to see what experienced Meidjo users come up with.

Comment

I found a viable solution. Here's a video:

Rather than having the tour mode lever pivot, I just made it rotate on the U-bolt. The challenge was modeling it to snap into place on the spring box in both ski and tour mode, and to clear all the binding parts when pushed forward. I made it snap into place against the spring box so it's easy to put it in the right orientation by feel, without needing to see it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	710x528_32156039_17014755_1595405300.png
Views:	48
Size:	294.8 KB
ID:	103036

By simplifying how it engages, I was able to make it sturdy enough to work repeatedly, even when printed in brittle PLA. I'm pretty confident this will work reliably in the field when made with nylon. The main drawback with the current design is that it is possible to over-rotate it (though easily avoidable), which causes interference with binding parts. That problem could be solved with some very minor modifications to the spring box.

I spent way too much time on this and printed about 30 different versions, but I'm pretty happy with the result. I'm thinking about modifying the spring box to make the tour mode lever 100% reliable.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by jtb; 22 July 2020, 02:11 AM.

Comment

I love it! No red stick is such a beautiful thing. Do you have the 3.0 springbox, with the ramps on top of the claw? At the beginning of the video, how are you stepping in? Did you chamfer the rear lower edge of the duckbutt?

Comment

Yeah, I have the ramped spring box. It's advertised as a change in the 3.0 version, but my late 2.1 binding came with it. I used to use the red stick until I realized I could step in just fine without it.

Comment

Beautiful. Plus it allows switching ski mode to tour mode without removing skis! If that works in the field, that really improves the Meidjo. Remove the red lever, get rid of cavities on the bottom of the springbox. Did you show it to Pierre?

Comment

I haven't reached out to Pierre. Honestly, my design is a compromise that I wouldn't sell to customers. I think a much better design would either have the lever flip up from under the spring box, or rotate on a plastic bearing that slides in between the U bolt and the spring box. Both of these would require minor modifications to the spring box.

But maybe it's worth showing to him, only as a way of inspiring a better design that modifies the spring box.

Having said that, I've posted my design on Shapeways for anyone else to try. I've only carpet-tested, but I'm pretty confident that it will work in the field, with some minor fiddling.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/XZHBD9CTA

Comment

Originally posted by jtb View Post
                        I haven't reached out to Pierre. Honestly, my design is a compromise that I wouldn't sell to customers. I think a much better design would either have the lever flip up from under the spring box, or rotate on a plastic bearing that slides in between the U bolt and the spring box. Both of these would require minor modifications to the spring box.

But maybe it's worth showing to him, only as a way of inspiring a better design that modifies the spring box.

Having said that, I've posted my design on Shapeways for anyone else to try. I've only carpet-tested, but I'm pretty confident that it will work in the field, with some minor fiddling.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/XZHBD9CTA
                        Any higher up snow left near you for a field test? Yesterday Melbourne went to a more restrictive stage 4 lockdown until mid-September so no chance I can ski until at least then. Also we are having the worst season for snowfall since 2006 so there may not be much Spring snow left in September. Sigh.

Comment

The snow's all down by you, mate!

We're having a warm summer where I am. Lots of great mountain biking and hiking now. I don't expect to be able to field test these until December.

Comment

Anybody want to guess what this is?

Name:	wL5GngsrxOllQv_F5dZcr1GQRmc_FuPg8-Hz4VVhnN7GXf3KUh0SvW57vljofzZDNFOHgLN_AtfYxsY41r-rjUi8cKPMbI2QBMvgSkRVQJepFfDApyqMW_x6teT2G3-7NcUK3JF4cYk=w800.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	103120

Comment

The back deck of a man who should probably look into Trex?

Some kinda Meidjo springbox holder-backer??

Comment

You're half right 🤣

Name:	NMpL6XLqR79piOmM8FuvQlh23u1SEFuD_C4dndw6UwqBsCWtiMvyLWhYhP_zsFNsJ2GOyxDZ_vfmZJ2rTfXne3OBvI1Bi5bJPk-YC6f-HYveSk8BuDW6zWaTZos4lgDSSiZh698xvz4=w800.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	103127

Name:	3oPdj-Pq6oBpqXN2lJBnaBcNiquIw1kNQKpdYdSclr05ddek5gyZNWZ1nyZ1_AjiF-3-Vhu1cCUCrzeohoJ59S17gzvwMrKHn7zDK11iPZw2vAXnlGLcRG3WIUCAqaDKeMeneWIW3Xg=w800.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	103128

Comment

Working...
                                X