Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WernerKoch
    replied
    New on the market and a great solution between simple microspikes and real crampons are the snowline chainsen pro XT. The toe spikes grip on direct ascents, on hard snow and frozen ground when you need to carry skis. Great to add extra safety for youngster... Of course really steep and icy terrain requires real crampons...
    Werner
    You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 2 photos.

Leave a comment:

• Grant
    replied
    Thanks for the replies. I suspected that the spikes would be not long enough as t.s states, but figured I would ask.

Leave a comment:

• tele.skier
    replied
    Microspikes are good for preventing you from breaking your neck in a fall walking down your icey driveway. If you are on rock hard snow on a slope, they just don't have any penetration to be secure. I have the Haute route crampons which are steel front points and aluminum heel points. They are automatic style, so they capture your ski boot toe and heel with have a simple instep strap to hold them secure. I've used them a few times and they are indispensible when needed.

When I first got them we had a freezing rain event in the alpental valley. The snow was horrible for skiing, so I put them on and walked out the source lake trail that SO many snowshoe groups travel. There's a lot of variable terrain and groups of snow showers were wiping out everywhere as I passed them both coming and going. Even the small crampons attached to the better quality snowshoes were losing grip on the sidehill parts of the trail and people were wiping out on the hard slippery crust. It was like a demolition derby out there. Here I come down the trail with my new crampons just walking along on the hard candy coating, making a crunch sound as tynes punched holes in the crust as I walked. Flounderers laying on the ground saw me walking normally, then they looked at my feet and watched me walk on by. Lesson learned...

If you're not going to use them on rock, you can get away with aluminum crampons. Mine are only steel fronts because the store was out of the crampons I wanted and the haute route crampons were on sale... I hardly ever use them, but I have them just in case, just like ski mounted crampons. You rarely use them, but when you need them there's no substitute...
    Last edited by tele.skier; 6 March 2019, 12:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dewam
    replied
    The Kahtoola Microspikes have become a regular early season tool along with rock skis. Once I can ski to/from the road, they are not used for any ski activity. Den

Leave a comment:

• bobbytooslow
    replied
    While I love to support my brothers and sisters at Kahtoola, and find their Nanospikes indispensable for winter running, I haven't found much use for Microspikes on ski boots. When you're going up something icy, and it's too steep to ascend with ski crampons and skins, you're probably going to want/need to frontpoint (i.e., use real crampons). I suppose there could be a situation where it's a combination of low-angle ice and rock, so both real crampons and ski crampons are impractical, but I've never been on a tour and said "I wish I had my 'spikes." Perhaps this is a good case for those Skeats crampons that Dostie reviewed last year; if you can't travel with skis on, you could strap the Skeats right onto your boots.

Leave a comment:

• Dostie
    replied
    Do you mean these?

Leave a comment:

• Grant
    started a topic Microspikes

Microspikes

Is anyone using Microspikes on their ski boots for climbing coolers, slides, steeps?
Working...
X