Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skins for skinny skis

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Skins for skinny skis

    I know they used to be available but I've been having a heck of a time finding some 50mm wide straight skins.

    Anyone know where these can be found?

    Thanks,

  • #2
    Originally posted by MikeK View Post
    I know they used to be available but I've been having a heck of a time finding some 50mm wide straight skins.

    Anyone know where these can be found?

    Thanks,
    Took me all of 10 seconds on Google: http://www.123mountain.com/expeditio...FeZDMgodQmwARQ

    Comment


    • #3
      You are better than me. Maybe I did see these ones and forgot... at any rate, thanks, I guess...

      Comment


      • #4
        The other option is to simply trim a wider pair down to size. Trimming straight skins is not quite as easy as trim-to-fit, but it isn't rocket science either. Get a 4' metal ruler. The aluminum variety should be good enough. Make marks on the glue side for the width you want. Stick the skins to the ruler with the marks on the edge and then cut with a sharp utility knife.

        I'm in the midst of prepping a few pair of skins for long term review, so maybe I'll shoot a vid and document the details for a ski trimming techniques post. Don't get impatient on me though.

        ain't no turn like tele!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Dostie View Post
          Trimming straight skins is not quite as easy as trim-to-fit,
          Not sure I know the difference, but the G3 trimming tool makes it ridiculously easy. I can trim skins to a pair of skis in 2 mins., maybe 3 if I drank too much.

          Comment


          • #6
            Not even sure if I want skins... or if I might want kickers instead. I haven't drank the AT/Tele koolaid yet. I've been told there are times skins can come in handy for Nordic BC.

            Is the tip loop different on the wider skins? That would be a problem for trimming.

            Those G3 or the BD kickers would work I guess.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by MikeK View Post
              Not even sure if I want skins... or if I might want kickers instead. I haven't drank the AT/Tele koolaid yet. I've been told there are times skins can come in handy for Nordic BC.

              Is the tip loop different on the wider skins?
              Depends. Tips and tails for skins vary.

              Originally posted by dschane View Post
              Not sure I know the difference, but the G3 trimming tool makes it ridiculously easy. I can trim skins to a pair of skis in 2 mins., maybe 3 if I drank too much.
              The difference between trimming straight and trim-to-fit? Do you have a straight, metal template made to the exact width you want and longer than your longest pair of skis? If not, then the trimming operation for straight skins (narrower than 110mm) is more tedious and prone to trouble than trim-to-fit; especially if you're using a G3 trimming tool. Even though I like it, the blades are only clean and sharp for about 2 pair of skins. After that you're better off with a sharp razor and the know-how to do it without the specialized trimming tool.

              Besides that, it doesn't fit with the lemming model of doing it the way everyone else is doing it, so it requires forethought.
              Last edited by Dostie; 15 April 2014, 09:30 AM.

              ain't no turn like tele!

              Comment


              • #8
                I must be eating too much mercury-laden halibut b/c I cannot figure out who would want to cut a pair of straight skins these days, but in that case, yes, a utility knife would work fine. As for the G3 cutter, try soap, citrus, or acetone to breath more life into it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by dschane View Post
                  I must be eating too much mercury-laden halibut b/c I cannot figure out who would want to cut a pair of straight skins these days, but in that case, yes, a utility knife would work fine. As for the G3 cutter, try soap, citrus, or acetone to breath more life into it.
                  Who or Why? The who be me and I've been pretty adamant and public about why.

                  Thanks for the citrus/acetone tip. Hadn't thought of that. Too much forethought, not enough hindsight.

                  ain't no turn like tele!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Dostie View Post
                    Depends. Tips and tails for skins vary.
                    Thanks. Should have known there was an article about this.

                    This is why I joined this forum.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by dschane View Post
                      Not sure I know the difference, but the G3 trimming tool makes it ridiculously easy. I can trim skins to a pair of skis in 2 mins., maybe 3 if I drank too much.
                      I had nothing but problems with the G3 trimmer. It kept getting hung up on the glue and buggering it up. I tried leaving some of the backing on the skin then peeling the edge up after that, neither worked. I finally gave up and went back to the old tried and true BD letter opener. Maybe the room temp was too warm or the glue was too soft, not sure, but definitely wasn't faster for me. Did you use a certain trick to keep it from adhering to the glue on the top side of the trimmer?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        By cleaning the blade and trimmer throat of either the G3 or straight "letter opener" type trimmer between every two or even each cut, I've had no problems. I use some mineral spirits or odorless brush cleaner on a cotton swab. Works great.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by 3PinGrin View Post
                          I had nothing but problems with the G3 trimmer. It kept getting hung up on the glue and buggering it up. I tried leaving some of the backing on the skin then peeling the edge up after that, neither worked. I finally gave up and went back to the old tried and true BD letter opener. Maybe the room temp was too warm or the glue was too soft, not sure, but definitely wasn't faster for me. Did you use a certain trick to keep it from adhering to the glue on the top side of the trimmer?
                          Hmmm, that's weird and annoying. I don't think I do anything differently than you, but here's my description: After removing the backing, I put the skin on the ski (centering up the center strip with the ski (quickly flip the ski right side up and you can see if there are equal amounts of excess skin on each side of the ski to confirm you're centered) and then I run the cutting tool down the ski (tip to tail) with one hand and follow it with the other hand -- that second hand is putting small pressure on the skin to keep the fabric from bulging up too much. The cutter pretty much glides the length of the ski and trims the skin quickly and efficiently.

                          I suck with the BD letter opener -- in my time, I've screwed up the centering and made some weird jagged cuts, so I was using a utility knife before I discovered the G3 cutter. I've always sucked at all things involve any form of artwork (cutting along lines, tracing, etc), so to me, the G3 cutter is insurance against poor handiwork.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by dschane View Post
                            Hmmm, that's weird and annoying. I don't think I do anything differently than you, but here's my description: After removing the backing, I put the skin on the ski (centering up the center strip with the ski (quickly flip the ski right side up and you can see if there are equal amounts of excess skin on each side of the ski to confirm you're centered) and then I run the cutting tool down the ski (tip to tail) with one hand and follow it with the other hand -- that second hand is putting small pressure on the skin to keep the fabric from bulging up too much. The cutter pretty much glides the length of the ski and trims the skin quickly and efficiently.

                            I suck with the BD letter opener -- in my time, I've screwed up the centering and made some weird jagged cuts, so I was using a utility knife before I discovered the G3 cutter. I've always sucked at all things involve any form of artwork (cutting along lines, tracing, etc), so to me, the G3 cutter is insurance against poor handiwork.
                            My first attempted method wasn't really much different than the one you mention. I will give it another try when I get another pair of skins as I still have the trimmer. I think colder temps would likely help but not sure. I definitely like the concept of slapping the skins on, two cuts, and done.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X