GlideLite Mohair Mix STS skins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GlideLite Mohair Mix STS skins?

I am looking to pick up some new skins for some 106 waist skis. I have always been a fan of the Ascension Nylon STS skins. I was wondering about saving a little effort and looking in to the glideLite mohair skins. I know they are only a little lighter and are more compact but the real question is how much better do they glide and how much traction would I give up. It would be nice to save a little effort on long days but if I am constantly floundering on short sections steeper then 15 degree skin tracks that effort might be waisted.
    Last edited by James; 13 January 2014, 08:33 PM.

I use them on a similar size ski. They climb well over 15 degrees although not as well as nylon on the steepest tracks. They do glide better than nylon although on a ski that big I wouldn't say it's a deal maker. I like that they're more supple when folding and handling them, but that comes at the cost of durability. They're more easily damaged. I got an awesome deal on mine through GearX so I have no regrets, but I wouldn't pay more than nylon for them.

http://gearx.com/snow-sports/climbing-skins.html

Comment

James,

I've never had a problem with any mohair plush holding well up to 20+ degrees, usually no problemo until the 25 degree mark and then only if I'm following an existing skin track that is polished and icy. But then, why subject yourself to that? I don't, and usually won't. In reality I almost never experience an icy skin track 'cuz I'd just make my own and enjoy freshies on the way up too. Thus YMMV for how steeply mohair holds.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

Size skins for the tip, not the waist.

Mohair are nice, but even more than nylon or mix, they need to be waxed for best performance. Glopstopper, ironed in (thanks Steve Romeo RIP) increases both grip and glide at the same time it prevents snow and ice buildup when traveling between sunny wet surface snow and shady dry col snow. Rubbing glop stopper in after you have got the ice buildup is a waste of time. You want to prepare your skins before you take them out. Just rub the glopstopper into the plush while the skin is mounted on your ski. Then run a barely warm iron over it a couple three times and watch the plush absorb the wax as it coats every hair. I then give it a quick nylon brushing to separate the hairs and they are good to go. This lasts up to ten days whereas just rubbing the glopstopper in lasts at best two days. Try it!

Comment

Many thanks everyone. I think I will try these. I hate icy skin tracks but one of the reasons I will be getting these is for a 7 day trip to Selkirk Mountain Experience where I will not be breaking trail and will be following many other people in the same skin track. I have heard the track is likely to be fairly flat but Dostie your comments have me concerned.

Cesare great idea. I use glob stopper but have not ironed it in yet. FWIW I always size for the tip minus 10mm and these are the BD mixed mohair skins.

Comment

I went thru the same decision a few months ago when I decided to get some full coverage skins for my Vector BC's. I chose reg BD nylon STS over the Mohair blend. They both weigh the same but the Mohair have a advantage in folding up and putting into pack. The Mohair probably glides a little better but not a huge factor. WTBS, I chose the nylon as it is a proven product in my personal experience and the bottomline is that I don't want to compromise anything on the up. If I was breaking trail and setting all the skin tracks then the Mohair might make sense but alot of the times I am following a track or in a group with strong steep climbers and slippery skin tracks too. I don't want to be the weak link and not be able to climb the track so I use what everyone uses.
            I would call SME and ask what they think, they may say the Mohair is great or they may say other wise. Cesare's comment about ironing in skin wax is good. Interestingly, I find that hot waxed skins are grippier than non waxed skins on cold snow as the warm wax grabs the track better.
            "Just say no to groomed snow"

Comment

James,

If you're going to SME you need not worry about icy skin tracks, or steep ones either. Ruedi sets a great track, typically in the 15-20 degree range and he never uses the same track twice (except the comeback trail from the gully up to the Chalet).

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

Thanks everyone I am going to try these.

Comment

Good advice on the globstopper. I did experience some freezing on mine last year. Is globstopper simply paraffin? I could swear I heard that some where?

One thing I think you'll appreciate is that when they're in your jacket they take up a lot less space. And weigh less. I need to try the iron trick next time out.

Comment

Working...
                  X