Homemade skin rip tip solutions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade skin rip tip solutions?

Have anyone tried to make rippable tip fixations for skins?

The Dynafit Speedskin attacher is a nice solution but I hesitate to drill and grind top slots in all my skis...

I tried making a simple cord fixation with a simple locker (see attached photo), although it worked perfect in a groomed piste, I doubt that it will hold the skin when tracking in soft snow. Any ideas, or experience?

Best regards
    Attached Files

Why not just get an STS tail kit and a big tip loop. It works.

G3 makes some cool tail kits too, but none of the new cool ones can be installed, they're only available with new G3 skins.

Tips N Tails for Climbing Skins

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

Rather than cutting into the ski, I built up a bumper out of marine epoxy on the tips of my Bomb Squads to keep the G3 tail clips on and then speedy stitchered the tails to a strip of 1" flat webbing and stitchered that onto the tip of the skin. I tapered everything so there is no skin covering the rockered section of the ski tips and tails, reducing weight and drag when breaking trail with no reduction in grip.

Comment

I went full tip-notch & bungee 3 years ago, and I haven't looked back. I ain't got time for no tail-clips! (It hasn't come back to bite me yet, though I'm not saying it won't. On one occasion only, I had to use a Voile strap. I always carry a backup pair of skins anyway -- they're small and light when you have skinny skis and you lop off the back 15cm and tailhook. Maybe on a hut trip or something, where starting everyday with dry clean skins isn't guaranteed, I'd want the security of tailhooks.)

I've found the Dynafit rubber tip nubs are a little small to grab and pull hard with mittened fingers, and I've had a few break at inopportune times. I replaced them with a girth-hitched 1/4" bungee and washer, and they work great. I've also modded Black Diamond and K2 (Pomoca) skins this way. I folded and riveted some G3 High Traction skins for icy days, and that works too. Pulling all these at the top of the climb is quick and easy and requires no acrobatics.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190308_061335.jpg Views:	4 Size:	772.0 KB ID:	94541Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190308_061359.jpg Views:	4 Size:	1.33 MB ID:	94542Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190308_061556.jpg Views:	4 Size:	3.48 MB ID:	94543

Also, it's funny you should ask about tip notches! Simple Machine Telemark is about to put, on the Shapeways store, some tip-notch covers. Drill a 7/16" hole, cut in with a jigsaw, slather on some epoxy, slide the cover on, then drill & screw. No more worries about delamination, water seepage, sharp edges, or questions on the chairlit "Ooh, what happened to your skis?"

Click image for larger version  Name:	NotchCover.PNG Views:	5 Size:	29.8 KB ID:	94540

Last edited by bobbytooslow; 8 March 2019, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Here is the nub I built up out of marine epoxy--when I repaired the topsheet damage from smacking my tips together due to my sloppy technique--to hold the G3 tail clip in place on my Bomb Squads. Also, the attachment that leaves the rockered section of the ski bare. I find that this saves some significant weight and reduces drag when breaking trail. At my age I need all the help I can get.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1452.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	2.30 MB
ID:	94578Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1453.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	2.51 MB
ID:	94579Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1454.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	2.91 MB
ID:	94580

Comment

Are the rubber euro tip attachment coming back into vogue?

Name:	climbing-skins-direct.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	94628

If not, you can buy the Dynafit bits and pieces from skimo.co

Name:	skin-tip.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	233.5 KB
ID:	94629

Comment

The Dynafit tips are slick looking, but the rubber gets cut surprisingly easily. I've broken 3, all at times when I really wished I hadn't. There's a reason skimo racers still use the tried & true bungee rope + washer: it works really well. Even on wider skins, if you combine it with some sort of sewn-on plate, there's no issue with snow getting underneath. I've started putting a little shrink tube over the bungee, seems to be holding up really well.

Name:	IMG_20190311_082114.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	94638

Comment

A few years since I started this thread, all my skis nowadays have race slots at the tip - either factory or homemade. And all my skins have bungee cord and washers. Ripping the skins race-style with skis on in just seconds is nice, but it may be noted that it works best with skinnier skis and helps if the glue is not too strong on the skins.

Comment

Originally posted by iBjorn View Post
                  ...it works best with skinnier skis and helps if the glue is not too strong on the skins.
                  Yup. Pomoca glue seems to break in real nicely for this after 3-5 uses. My G3 glue never really did, even after 60-70 uses.

Originally posted by iBjorn View Post
                  ...all my skis nowadays have race slots at the tip - either factory or homemade. And all my skins have bungee cord and washers. Ripping the skins race-style with skis on in just seconds is nice
                  Serious question to the commentariat: Why haven't all skis/skins gone this way? Is there a disadvantage to the notched tip & bungee cord system?

Comment

Originally posted by bobbytooslow View Post
                    Serious question to the commentariat: Why haven't all skis/skins gone this way? Is there a disadvantage to the notched tip & bungee cord system?
                    Yeah - 'cuz some of us have zero issues with the tail bungee. I find it easier to lift the tail of my ski to grab the bungee than lean forward to grab a tip fob. Everyone I know that prefers the Dynafiddle way - release at the tip - is an A.T. skier. The majority of those prefering the tail method are tele.

Why isn't it standardized? Patents and pride.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

Originally posted by Dostie View Post
                      I find it easier to lift the tail of my ski to grab the bungee than lean forward to grab a tip fob.
                      I was in this camp too, but had to find a quicker way to transition for races and training with skimo folks. And, once it became habit, I swear it's WAY easier -- especially being very not-limber. At the top of the climb, I put my right knee (almost) to ski, flip the lock lever as I reach down, drop my heel lifter, flip on my cable, then grab the left skin tip (which is like 2 feet from my face) and rip it as I stand up. Fold it, stuff it, then do the opposite side. Given a flat place to stand and not-howling wind, the whole thing takes 45 seconds.

Originally posted by Dostie View Post
                      Everyone I know that prefers the Dynafiddle way - release at the tip - is an A.T. skier.
                      Hey, that's an insult!! Haha, glad to buck the trend.

Comment

Working...
                      X