Wet Skins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet Skins

Not those of you who only ski glorious dry powder?
    Back in the real world, how do you cope with damp conditions when your skins won’t stick.
    I had to resort to tying them on with string wrapped around in the binding area, worked ok, but not the best glide!
    Do the vacuum type stick to damp bases?

I doubt it. Even a little snow left on the ski can cause problems getting a vacuum skin to stick.

Comment

I have had bindings fail in very cold weather, not sure about wet. Regardless, Voile straps - about 2-4 per ski will help with a failed skin. Of course, the edges will slowly cut into the straps, but not in a single outing. Duct tape will fail during a single tour.

Comment

When this happens to me, putting the skins in my jacket to warm them up seems to re-activate the glue. That takes time though (I do this with scaled skis where I can still make slower uphill progress while warming the skins).

One idea I had was to sew nylon straps with velcro onto the skins. I did this on one pair but haven't tested it out yet. In theory it should keep the skins laterally secure even if the glue fails, but there can still be fore/aft motion, depending on how tight your clip mechanism is.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Frr0a-VKIr1ErnXSE2daudAEfRlQ3w12c4aA86EOlMPBQ2Sm0j-L25Gh0qypjLmScD6TkISR2FTVGXXP6Sg01Pjq9KyJgQlsRmFavhqmUuMTa2vJsxSWlp_Vf5hGS0AmIjS-yKJcnMQ=w600.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	107427
        Click image for larger version

Name:	FMsnbNL9wJOrQIv94glnULvInwd5U1HGob8fbTVmyFlYP8b6oKkR2fnuvsVsvKfAZ1BZW1nbM2wxTHTSi5KgHL8yKHJzG7oLux1usyIsVcjVMWJmiiumTB-PEsv6RLAazAg_pAkNR_o=w600.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	107428

Comment

Originally posted by telemarkmark View Post
          Definitely not.

Originally posted by telemarkmark View Post
          ...how do you cope with damp conditions when your skins won’t stick.
          Start by squeegee'ing the moisture out of the plush, and then wax the plush. Actually, it is best to wax your skins before the tour in anticipation of wet conditions to minimize absorption by the plush. Secondly, I make sure I have a reliable, elastic tail that I make extra tight to provide longitudinal tension to help the skin stay taught. Wet skins stretch. Between pre-waxing (even just rubbing it on at the trailhead is better than nothing) and adjusting the longitudinal tension I rarely had trouble even in sloppy Sierra cement.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

Working...
          X