Cleaning Contour Hybrid Skins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Contour Hybrid Skins

A quick search on refreshing the glue on my skins came up with just clean them. The video says use a household detergent cleaner. Unfortunately it doesn't say which type. For $30 you can buy 150 ml of Contour glue cleaner. Being a cheap ass tele guy I'd like to figure a real household cleaner that would do the job. Oxiclean did make the grip somewhat better. Any thoughts on what cleaner would do the job before I spring for the real deal.
    Last edited by -E-; 11 April 2020, 03:05 PM.

Nice video.

But do you actually expect us to believe that you care about such things?

Originally posted by -E- View Post
    Best music vid ever right here.

Last edited by aqua toque; 10 April 2020, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Been snowing here all week and my skin glue went weak so yes I do.

I'll post up something good for you in Something Else.

Comment

I use the old brown paper bag/ iron method. I've done light heating to pull the dirt off the skins and leave behind some glue, and I've also used a hotter iron to heat and pull most of the glue off so I could just start new with glue from a tube of gold label. When the glue is really dirty, sometimes it's hard to get the stickiness back so you might as well just remove the $hitty glue completely.

The trick I've learned to use recently after you've cleaned the glue with the paper bag trick, is to use the thin clear plastic release sheets that come with the skins originally, to run a medium warm iron over that plastic sheet. When you peel the plastic release sheet, the glue surface will be shiny and sticky again. If you still have the release sheets, it doesn't cost anything but time and 2 brown paper bags to see if you can freshen them up without adding new glue.

WTBS, I just did a pair last week with the hot iron total glue removal method. Then I added a thin coating of gold label, and ironed over the plastic release sheet to liquefy and smooth the new surface. They came out great. BTW, I picked up the "ironing the release sheet method" off youtube.
        Last edited by tele.skier; 11 April 2020, 09:47 AM.
        the fall line is your friend.... resistance is futile

Comment

Brown bag and iron method is for conventional glue like DB liquid gold. The Contour hybrid glue is different stuff.
          http://www.skintrack.com/gear-tech/c...ue-technology/
          Contour says to clean the glue after about 20 days with detergent. I have at least double that before losing tack. I'm not sure what would happen to my BD skins if I sprayed the glue with Oxiclean and scrubbed with a sponge like I did to my Contours but I bet the outcome would suck. Oxiclean did improve tackiness. Going to try the Oxiclean again with a bit more elbow grease and a touch of Ronsonol to break down residual wax.
          Last edited by -E-; 11 April 2020, 03:15 PM.

Comment

-E- et al,

The Contour hybrid skins are using a silicon adhesive. It acts like suction cups, only thing of the cup as several furough along the length of the skin. The low part fills with gunk and needs to get cleaned out with soap and water, just like the vid shows. For better cleaning, I recommend a soft toothbrush, scrubbed lengthwise. Rinse and drip dry. They'll work much better after cleaning, but without having to dislocate your shoulder to rip the hide.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

Craig - My question is which soap works best excluding the cleaner sold by Contour. I will purchase the Contour juice but I would like to figure what is the best alternative. My first pass was with Dawn dish soap. It didn't make much of an improvement. Next was the Oxiclean which did a much better job but there is still room for improvement. Somewhere I read that this glue will pickup ski wax if you don't brush your bases well. I don't so a soap that will break down the wax is needed. There are a couple how to videos that show using a stiff sponge. One guy was using a blue scotch brite sponge, which is what I have been using. I'm going to pass on the toothbrush suggestion for my lack of patience with a the small tool. BTW I'm never going back to conventional glue skins.

Comment

Originally posted by -E- View Post
                Craig - My question is which soap works best excluding the cleaner sold by Contour. I will purchase the Contour juice but I would like to figure what is the best alternative. My first pass was with Dawn dish soap. It didn't make much of an improvement. Next was the Oxiclean which did a much better job but there is still room for improvement. Somewhere I read that this glue will pickup ski wax if you don't brush your bases well. I don't so a soap that will break down the wax is needed. There are a couple how to videos that show using a stiff sponge. One guy was using a blue scotch brite sponge, which is what I have been using. I'm going to pass on the toothbrush suggestion for my lack of patience with a the small tool. BTW I'm never going back to conventional glue skins.
                Hear me now, believe me later. The toothbrush is what provides the right size 'scraper' (the brushes) to clean out the grooves. The soap barely matters. The heat of the water is more important. If you're trying to get rid of wax, hot water will melt it and it will run off. Theoretically.

As for never going back to conventional glue? Better stock up now while you can. All the skin makers are abandoning glueless glue 'cuz the average BC skier doesn't know how to use them properly. They do require a modification of technique for applying them so they stick reliably. Few are willing or able to modify their behavior. Typical humans.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

Having read the contour website link you posted, I see it's a totally different glue than most other skins . Interesting concept...

Turpentine is the solvent used to dissolve wax in my trade. Perhaps a few drops in your cleaning solution could help break down the wax on your skins. Of course, you have to chance that the turp's won't damage the skin glue.

I am a typical human BTW... I suppose that's kind of obvious...
                  the fall line is your friend.... resistance is futile

Comment

Second pass with Oxiclean did the trick. I will not wait as long to clean them in the future. No visible groves in the glue on these so I will believe the tooth brush another days.

I apply these skins the same way I always have. Stick them on and go. What is the different technique?

Is anyone besides Contour using the silicone glue? I see BCA is selling a version of the Contour Hybrid skins. I assumed Contour has a patient on the glue.
                    Last edited by -E-; 12 April 2020, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Hi, hope it's ok to drop in here as the manufacturer...
                      To clean relatively fresh dirt and dust off the hybrid glue, it is perfectly ok to use detergent like GooGone. Tack will always be much better afterwards. But please remember that sometimes wax residues cause the skins to be not tacky and these won't go away by washing the skins. Here the hybrid cleaning wipe or spray solves the problem. Alternatively wax remover e.g. from holmenkol or swix work well, too. Just don't let the remover stay on the glue but wipe off immediately. After cleaning, the hybrid glue should always be tacky enough to lift the skin with a finger tip. Any other question should be answered in our FAQ section on www.contourskins.com
                      Stay safe, Werner Koch

Comment

Thanks for the link WK. I'm super happy with your skins.

Comment

Working...
                        X