Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTB Voile Wedges

Anyone have any laying around unused?

I don't, but if someone wants to pass along a few measurements, I'll throw some up on Shapeways.

Comment

Thanks for that offer, will get some measurements.

Comment

41mm Front 10mm thick (center of front screw 13mm behind leading edge)
        53mm Rear 0mm thick (center of rear crew hole 13mm in front of trailing edged)
        90.5mm long
        I don't have the most accurate calipers but that's the best I could do.
        It would probably be better to make the width 70mm at both front and back.
        Thanks,
        Ted

Comment

Sure, happy to help. A couple more questions:

- When viewed from the side, is it a right triangle? Or isosceles?
          - If a right triangle, along which face were the hole-location measurements made? Which face are the holes perpendicular to?
          - What diameter holes?

These seem like insignificant details, but having binding parts that don't line up is the worst! And it's super easy to get it right in the drafting software.

Comment

When viewed from the side, is it a right triangle? Or isosceles?

Put a square on, appears to be right triangle.

- If a right triangle, along which face were the hole-location measurements made?

From the top.

Measured from bottom- looks like 12.5mm

Which face are the holes perpendicular to?

Holes are perpendicular to base(ski)

- What diameter holes?

5mm.

Comment

Ok, here you go:

http://shpws.me/Rf08

I can easily change the dimensions if you need. They're not cheap ($16.65 each), so I won't be offended if you opt not to order any. I'll make $0.00 off these, that's Shapeways' price.

Joining two wedges in one print didn't save much money at Shapeways, though it does at iMaterialise. $18 for a pair. However, the minimum order there is $35. If anyone wants to go down this route, I'm happy to email you the .STL file.

Last edited by bobbytooslow; 14th May 2019, 12:51 PM.

Comment

and this is exactly why i think learning CAD/design tools is the new learning to code.

Comment

thanks, that's so awesome.
                  Any suggestions n learning to do this? I took a local class that taught using a trad CADCam(name will come to me) but it didn't seem very user friendly for a novice.

Comment

I use SketchUp, because it's free. There's even a web-based version (though there's more functionality if you install it on your machine). There are things I don't like about SketchUp, but it gets the job done. When the telemark renaissance happens and I become a gazillionaire, I'll get Solidworks.

I think I did one of their YouTube tutorials, drawing a dog house or something, and then it was off to the races. Making some binding wedges is a perfect beginner project, actually.

The other thing that helps a lot in designing stuff is having a good familiarity with the McMaster-Carr website. You want to design things as much as possible around hardware & raw materials that are available off the shelf. You can save yourself a lot of time making revisions if you know what hardware & materials you'll be using.

Happy to help if you have more questions. The more binding tinkerers in the community, the better!

Comment

CAD systems are very much a personal preference. I use PTC Creo elements direct express, which is the free version. I think it is the best free CAD software available, the same as the paid version with a 60 parts at once limit and restrictions on file formats, but its not for everyone. But for me, since i have been using it for going on 30 years back to when it was called ME30, its a no brainer.

a lot for people use Autodesk Fusion360 which i have looked at, and has some nice features, very slick, stable, supported, but doesn't seem like a CAD tool, more of a do a little of a bunch of things tool.

there are two basic types of CAD systems, Parametric (aka History based) and Direct (aka Solid) modelers. Which you prefer seems to be determined on what system you learn on. I learned on a Direct, so that is what i prefer and the way my mind works. A lot of people who started on Pro/E can't stand Direct modelers, and can only use Parametric.

Most free CAD software is Parametric, most, not all.

hit the web, search for "best free 3D CAD", read the articles, and similar watch some tutorials, and try something.

that said, i think most free CAD software sucks, PTC Creo direct being the excemption *for me*.
                      And most paid CAD that is good is $$$ ($1-5k/year).

New stuff seems to be coming out all the time, and i have read about some long term projects to bring 3D design to the masses, but so far i haven't seem anything new that is really for mechanical design vs more of a crafting type use.

Comment

and what Bobby said about McMaster, you can download 3D CAD of almost everything on the sight...

Comment

Working...
                        X