No announcement yet.

ScottyBob Headrush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thread bump for fun. I have 2 pairs of headrush's both now over a decade and a half old, 1 pair longer and stiffer than the other. About 20 years ago as a relative beginner Tele skiier I demo's the original BobTail at A-Basin and was blown away. I went immediately from a beginner ability to an advanced intermediate. Those old skis I learned on must have been crap. As an engineer, the design features have always made sense. Anyways I saved for a pair and got a deal on some factory 2nds through the Mines ski club. They were awesome in soft snow, tight trees, and when critical turns had to be cranked or you'd fall off a cliff. Did a lot of hut trips, Berthoud days, cranking turns at Loveland under the chair with my first 2 kids in a backpack (not at the same time), and a few days at Silverton on those. But they eventually got too soft for going fast on groomed runs. They'd chatter and lose grip all over the place. I moved away from the mtns and also ended up buying a longer pair on craiglist on a trip back to Denver. Turns out they were also stiffer and significantly more stable on groomed CA snow. Those are what I ski now. I've always hoped that when I move back to the mtns, I can buy myself a fresh pair with custom topsheets, or that someone picks up the patent and pushes the design development further. I still think they makes perfect sense for the dynamics of the telemark turn. I can't imagine old Scotty will be around much longer. I visited the "factory" in Silverton about 10 years ago and it was a shanty and Scotty was looking worse for wear and a few beers dee in the middle of the morning. It's a shame when you have a good idea and can't get any respect from the entrenched industry and/or you just don't have the skills or resources to market and sell your idea to gain acceptance of a wider audience. In summary I don't think they're gimmicky but also can't compare them to a modern ski. I love the conversations they start in the lift line, especially when my wife is next to me on my old softer pair.

Comment

Aside from my opinion that designing and marketing a ski specifically for a market niche as small as telemark is never going to be a winning proposition, I think the ScottyBobs suffer from taking a good idea too far. For the record I owned a pair of Fat Bastards for several years and skied all the other models enough to form an opinion based on the way I like to ride. I think they are soft, low performance boards that are effective in one thing, making the telemark turn easier. The bobtail is too long and it sinks in soft snow. I told Mazz this when he was still working with ScottyBob and he understood where I was coming from. If it were just a pintail or even a bobtail of a third of the length that it is, that would be a very different ski. But that sharp corner at the tail end of the offset edge gets hung up in any kind of crust or upside down snow condition and the ski doesn't want to release the turn. If you only ski soft powder you would never notice it. But I didn't like that characteristic. As far as firm snow performance, it has one thing going for it and that is the ease of engaging the edge of the trailing ski. But they are too soft, both longitudinally and torsionally to hold an edge at any kind of speed. Back in the teletips days I said as much and was chided for skiing the FBs in T2s. I got T1s, which improved things a lot. But when I went from the FBs to any number of even wider, more conventional skis, the performance shot through the roof. They are good for what they are designed for, making telemark turns easier. But at a considerable cost in terms of edge hold, crud performance, and speed limits.

Comment

I have the jr high idea version of scottybob's design. I have G3 tickets which were just different radius edged skis to try to create the same effect. As Chez said, the unique design does impart quicker reaction when you initiate turns, but in some ways it's a one trick pony. I use mine as bump skis where the more maneuverable ski design fit the terrain choice pretty well. The Ticket was also 82 underfoot and stiff, so those features also contributed to the quicker handling of the asymmetry.

Overall, a ski has to have features that work together to make it a better niche ski, or it will give up that niche performance for versatility. I never skied the Scottybobs, but oogled them in wonder before I got the Tickets. It was always fun to trade skis with someone for my tickets because the asymmetry would initially screw with the person's feel on his first run because there was an effect going on with their design.
        Last edited by tele.skier; 4 March 2021, 08:18 AM.
        the fall line is your friend.... resistance is futile

Comment

"I have G3 ski tickets which are asymetrical skis without the scottybob offset." "Owned the Tickets as well and they were pretty fun. I found the G3 Rapid Transits to be a much more versatile ski"
          I skied the asymmetrical G3 Rapid Transit skis for years, first with 7TM Powers and Ener-Gs, then with NTN Spike Bulldogs. Click image for larger version  Name:	Rapid Transit and Tele Bulldog.jpg Views:	0 Size:	441.8 KB ID:	108945 I thought they were a great, carving ski, but some of that was probably my transition to NTN boots and bindings.
          Some of the time I skied them with with early yellow Scarpa TX, and later with Garmont Prophets. On terrain, that wasn't too steep, I preferred the Prophets. But the Prophet liners packed out really quickly. On steeper terrain, like Fernie, my toes would slide down into the front of the Prophets, and painful toe bang..

Later , I went back on the Rapid Transits with my new TX Pros, and the edge hold just wasn't there, compared to later skis I had, like Volkl Mantras with Freerides.
          Last edited by chamonix; 7 March 2021, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Hi! So here is where the Telemarktips gang ended up 😏? Telemarktalk.com seems to have rescued the cross-contry part only.. Did I take too long to figure out?...
            About the Headrush: I think the Scottybob desing is great, the only thing wrong with that ski is that it's better suited for powder -by that time standards-, where the bobtail desing is not as relevant. For hardpack they are a bit too soft and don't hold the edge strong enough. A more powerful reincarnation would certainly be worth to try.
            I still keep mine with 75mm bindings and boots. NTN on the newer stuff.
            Last edited by Andinista; 15 March 2021, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X