Cracked Lynx v2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cracked Lynx v2

Anyone else on the new 2020 Lynx? Have you noticed this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0445.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	98829

For the record, I noticed this after a single 1000' tour with maybe 30 turns total. However, that wasn't the full extent of bending the composite plates. To exit the slope I broke trail in turn mode on a flat downhill for about a mile. So, plenty of full tension flexing.

Followed that up with a day of turns at A-Basin with half an expectation the whole thing would break. It did not. Am thinking the cracking will only occur on the edges of the main plate. Maybe. Hopefully.

ain't no turn like tele!

My 2020 V2s are waiting at the post office for me to pick them up, but I have had similar experience with 2019 V1s. I noticed it pretty early on and have been watching it and a) the cracking doesn't seem to be getting worse and b) it seems limited to the area just near the edges. i.e. it is not spreading across the plates.

Name:	IMG_8823.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	98835

Name:	IMG_8824.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	98836

Comment

I'll be taking a close look at mine tonight. Went out Monday and broke trail up about 900' bottomless powder, felt like I was climbing out of a hole on each stride. Did have trouble getting into ski mode, one binding would not catch the duckbutt, might add 1 spacer to each spring and see if that helps.

Comment

Just thoroughly inspected my 2020 Lynx amd found no signs of cracking. I have 9 touring days on them, at least 1600ft of vert each tour but up to 4k on one. I am skiing them with f1s and bolt-on duckbutts. The first few tours I was dialing in the shape of the duckbutt and cutting rubber sole material out of the way so didn't make a ton of tele turns (the one boot was pulling out of the claw after a few turns, I think it is pretty much good now). I am skiing them in position 1 which in theory should have the most leverage on the flex plates. I find the bindings to be pretty active even in position 1 so I ski them with a taller stance like I prefer. I ski outlaws with the stiff springs and the lynx is up there in terms of activity imo, even without the spacers. Maybe the difference is that I ski outlaws with a crispi evo world cup so I have more leverage than I do with my f1s on the lynx. I will be keeping an eye on my flex plates from now on.

Comment

Whoa, where do you guys get your electron microscopes?

Comment

One of em has a shrimp sticking to the side... I know snow would do that, but shrimp? I hope 22D will adress that problem too...

Comment

That is a bummer because the 2020 Lynx was redesigned to accommodate different flex plates which are thicker (I think thicker or definitely different in some dimension than the 2019 ones) or at least were supposed to be stronger. I learned this by calling 22D to see if I could also get the new plates with the 2019 Lynx upgrade (new toe/baseplate) and was told the new plates are not backwards compatible with the 2019 claw assembly.

Comment

On my pre Lynx DIY flex plate binding, the carbon flex plates cracked after little use. On the suggestion of a member, I installed a aluminium plate above, like the Lynx, though with a much bigger radius and angle. No problems since.

Comment

Just checked and I am in the same boat.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Nothing on mine (2019) after about 20 days of touring so far averaging 4-5000 feet every day for the last ten days of that. The only problem I've had is the pin that holds the tech toe together migrating back that interfered with my ski crampon, bending it so I almost could not get it off high on Mt Yotei where I definitely did not want to walk down. Got it off eventually and now it won't go back on.

Comment

Originally posted by cesare View Post
                      Nothing on mine (2019) after about 20 days of touring so far averaging 4-5000 feet every day for the last ten days of that. The only problem I've had is the pin that holds the tech toe together migrating back that interfered with my ski crampon, bending it so I almost could not get it off high on Mt Yotei where I definitely did not want to walk down. Got it off eventually and now it won't go back on.
                      Picture please?

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

One run on the 2020s today (no spacers, most forward slic pin hole). They are stiffer than the 2019s. The snow was super deep today - like waist and chest in places. I found the stiffer binding was pushing my skis down too much. Only did that for one run then changed skis to my skis with the 2019 Lynx - no problem. Will ski them more when the snow isn't so deep. I recall my 2019s 'breaking in' and softening up and I expect these will as well. I think that would be my one and only complaint with the Lynx - that the softest they go isn't that soft. I'd like to get my wife on these but can't see her liking them.

Comment

Checked my 2019 Lynx no cracks. I ski them on position 3 and use one spacer. Set them up this way after benefiting from earlier posts from CD and dschane.

Comment

Originally posted by jnicol View Post
                            One run on the 2020s today (no spacers, most forward slic pin hole). They are stiffer than the 2019s.
                            The new, thicker composite plates made a significant difference. I really like the 2020 version and thought the 2019 version was just a bit too soft (with two spacers and rear position). It might require a small adjustment. 22D might consider offering different plates.

I sent 22D the picture of my crack (well, you know) last night and, in impressive 22D fashion, they put a replacement in the mail today.

Comment

Originally posted by Dostie View Post
                              Picture please?
                              I have a free day coming up before my next group arrives. I'll take some pictures then and also send them to 22 Designs. In the meantime, here is a picture of a bunny with a pancake on its head in a little south facing sun crust.

Name:	8R2nQuaJSlKYySP+1Xu8DQ.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	3.61 MB
ID:	98938

Comment

Working...
                              X