19-20 Sierra Nevada Conditions, Reports,TR's and Hooking Up With Others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SPQR View Post
    Hey Tahoe BC - how’s the rehab going? Are you able to ride a bike on a trainer yet?
    Rehab is going well! At 5 weeks post op I got the clearance do no resistance spinning on the stationary bike. Worked up pretty quickly to 11/2 hours a day. At that point I figured I could do safe routes on my ebike and have been doing 30 mile rides daily on it with my good leg and the assist doing all the work. Next week I hope to be cleared to start bearing weight on my leg, then I’ll be stoked to get back on a real bike and start building strength back in that leg.

Comment

• As active as you are getting after it being laid up is a drag. I suffered a season ending injury due to a Lynx binding failure. Will never use Lynx again, total pos IMHO. Spent two weeks where I couldn’t even put a shoe on my swollen foot/ankle. Totally frustrated by no sports/working out I hooked up a bike to Wahoo Kickr last weekend and discovered I could spin easily as long as my ankle was positioned properly. So now riding trainer and rowing on Concept 2 rowing Erg. Still limping around but looking forward to getting on road and mountain bikes. Clipping out of pedals a bit of a problem still but getting better, but was going cuckoo without being able to ride. Not nearly as bad your your injury though, glad to see you are starting to get after it again.

Comment

• Sorry to hear about your injury, downtime is never fun, but since I’m retired I devote around 10 hours a day to rehab which fills my day pretty well.

Yea I can’t put my bad leg foot in a shoe yet, mostly less due to swelling and more of a nasty pressure sore that developed on my heal. On both the trainer and my ebike I have set up with a clipped in pedal so my good leg can do all the work and a flat pedal on my bad leg. Got a slipper boot 2 sizes bigger on the bad foot I can tolerate to wear, sure I look ridiculous ridding my ebike around outside with that thing on!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by tahoebc; 14 April 2021, 01:26 PM.

Comment

• Those slippers definitely a new spin on mountain biking footwear, but probably nice and warm!

Comment

• Back in the saddle again riding a real bike, been a long 11 weeks non weight bearing, but riding dirt again and looking forward to skiing again next season.

hope you all have a great summer, cheers 🍻
            Click image for larger version  Name:	D45C0ACC-D5CC-45AB-AFC6-0320883A516C.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.40 MB ID:	109955
            Last edited by tahoebc; 2 May 2021, 03:24 PM.

Comment

• Wow good for you. I bet those 11 weeks felt like double that! Nice bike!

Comment

• What’s up with you Tahoe folks? Wife and I rode mtn bikes up there a couple of weeks ago, geez it was hot!!! My wife always likes riding trail between Ward Valley and Alpine Meadows, we access from Chamonix off Ward Valley. I think we saw more people on that one ride in total than we’ve seen in 30 years of riding it! It was crazy amount of people riding from Alpine side. Later we rode South Lake trails, cruised to Cold Creek on Powerlines and then up to TRT, heat was a bitch. Quad how’s the foiling?

Comment

• I rode down to that trail from the top of Lakeview on Saturday afternoon -- the day we were setting heat records. Didn't see a single biker or hiker. Then rode over Juniper Mountain to Squaw and didn't see anybody until I got down to the Truckee river.

It's hot, yeah... but not that hot. I did see a ton of people on the weekend of the 4th, but that's par for the course.

Comment

• Originally posted by SPQR View Post
                    Quad how’s the foiling?
                    Even with the heat over 100 here at 5,000 we have had good wind in the late afternoon everyday for weeks. Winging in rash guards and light 2mm bottoms is great way to beat heat. Lot of kiting and winging going on too, yesterday counted 22 Wings out and similar kiters too. Two distinct groups and social. We are drifting toward the Wing group and meeting new people. As far as our progression, Lynn is killing it both Winging and kiting too. She only kites when the wind is over 25 which only is a maybe once a week thing and most days the wind is 15-low 20's and Wings mainly on a 5.4 and sometimes a 4.4. With the heat and onshore wind the wind is lumpy and tough close in as the heat off the sand creates a lifting of the wind and hard to get out where the steadier wind is. For me, I am getting Wing days, but have a hard time getting out so a lot of flailing, Lynn is good at going upwind in all conditions and gets out where the wind is. Yesterday, the wind was 12-25 and she was a half a mile out on a 4.4 and foiling, surfing chop and making turns. Anyway, this is a sport of attitude and we are working at it.

We are also riding bikes, but have cut back as stupid to double of activities. Have just rebuilt our Ebike brakes, pads, rotors and bleed. This took a long time as Shimano parts are difficult to get. But, finally done and ready to go.

So, our update..........
                    "Just say no to groomed snow"

Comment

• Some of you old telemark tip folks might remember Fogey, he went missing this weekend, he is no newbie to being in the outdoors, hopefully he finds his way out

https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...gXYm6v5oHGZ1oc

Comment

• I had seen the article about the missing hiker but didn’t know him to make that connection. Dang that sucks.

Comment

• I remember Fogey from the old TTips. He's still missing as of today, and the latest article said the search was being scaled back. Come on Fogey, we're all pulling for you!
                          the fall line is your friend.... resistance is futile

Comment

• Incredible Smoke here in Northern Nevada, haven't biked in a long time. We have been going Winging at Washoe Lake in the afternoons as the wind gives us a slight movement of the smoke but as the wind drops in the evening, smoke comes back. Plus temps above 100 too. So.....

Winging today, Lynn is getting pretty good and making some foil to foil turns.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010185 (1280x1057).jpg
Views:	68
Size:	694.9 KB
ID:	110388
                            "Just say no to groomed snow"

Comment

• That's so insane... The whole transformation from windsurfing, which was essentially a small "stand up" sailboat configuration to "Foil winging" was completely unimaginable to me back when I sailed. There was that group of guys who had a modified wing that still was attached to a pivoting mast back in the early days of windsurfing but it never caught on. The foil part looks incredible, but I'm surprised there's no footstraps on the board...
                              the fall line is your friend.... resistance is futile

Comment

• Most boards have the option to use foot straps but most people I know don’t use them for wing foiling. Some use the front strap but no back strap. I like foot straps for windsurf foiling but for wing foiling I go strapless.

Comment

Working...
                                X