No announcement yet.

19-20 Sierra Nevada Conditions, Reports,TR's and Hooking Up With Others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where's a good place to tour on the rim trail? I've only hiked/biked it. Start from Tahoe Meadows and head south?

Comment

• Originally posted by jtb View Post
      Where's a good place to tour on the rim trail? I've only hiked/biked it. Start from Tahoe Meadows and head south?
      Well the TRT is a long route with a lot to it. Since I live in Washoe Valley which is at the foot of the Carson Range and the TRT runs along the crest of the Carson Range for a ways, I am familiar with touring that area which is East of Tahoe. the Carson Range gets a lot of snow as the prevailing storms roll across Tahoe from the West and dumps lake effect snow on the Carson Range. A good place to start the tour is the Tahoe Meadows and tour South and East on the flank of the Carson Range that faces Lake Tahoe.

As far as my tour today, I had low expectations but the area over produced and there was a legitimate 2+ feet of one day old high density snow with a moderate wind pack to it. The interesting feature was that everywhere we went it was the same 2+ and that pretty much covered up smaller obstacles and sharks. The snow was actually pretty easy to ski as the snow was unconsolidated but no facets to drop in or hollows, so easy to stay on top and turn. However, not powder. We did three laps on tele gear fishscales, never hit a obstacle and never got tangled up in the snow and fall. Today was just a very good day and remarkable for early season. Weather wise, kinda warm no wind. A few others out touring too and all the TH's looked full. Weekday too. Anyway, I expect the snow to deteriorate as no new storms for a while and a warming.

A few pics showing today's snow
      Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00076 (936x719).jpg
Views:	12
Size:	531.6 KB
ID:	105091 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00072 (1280x701).jpg
Views:	12
Size:	725.5 KB
ID:	105092
      Last edited by Quadzilla; Today, 10:50 AM.
      "Just say no to groomed snow"

Comment

• Test of relive app
        View my skiing tour: Chick a dees

Comment

• https://www.relive.cc/view/vrqoMpVEdKO

Last test
          Last edited by Quadzilla; 21 November 2020, 08:46 AM.

Comment

• OK, a nice tool for those who have a good vid camera, maybe drone and a creative mind. I would love to see TahoeBC do this as he has content. Me? My content not worth the effort
            Last edited by Quadzilla; 21 November 2020, 08:58 AM.

Comment

• Hey Quad, I played around with relive a bit when it used to be linked to strava, before strava gave them the boot over claimed privacy concerns. The novelty wore off pretty quick for me, tried it once again this summer and a feature “hack” that I used to do to save the video to my computer was disabled so I lost interest.

In other new’s I’ve been surprised at how well things got pasted up higher, have 4 days of skiing now including today
              Click image for larger version  Name:	EBA0B59E-61E5-4D91-A873-463D35FF5189.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	703.8 KB ID:	105048
              Last edited by tahoebc; 21 November 2020, 05:09 PM.

Comment

• Yeah, that's how I feel. I think for logging MTB trips and routes, probably road too it is worthy. For ski touring number one rule at least around here is don't share beta or routes and Relive is all about that. Think I will move on and keep my touring simple.

The front last week sure over produced here on the East side and I think with the shorter days and sun angle it will hold up a while, but a lot of people are out and everything is tracked. Another front would really open options up. Rose looks to be open with pretty good coverage and a plan. For us, not going to resort ski for a while and waiting till the next front to tour. Meantime afternoon temps here are afternoons in mid 40's and we can ride comfortably in mid 30's so as long as it stays this way no complaints from us.............
                Last edited by Quadzilla; Today, 09:36 AM.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	411C1A54-C3FE-43F3-8853-92977FBA731D.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	1,003.7 KB
ID:	105079 Good skiing still holding in my stash, got my girlfriend out for her first turns of the year today.

looks like the ice on some of the lakes is or will soon be ready for skating (fat biking for me) gonna give it a couple more cold nights

Comment

• Today was more about the up than the down for me. Followed a snowshoe track up a trail and kept going after the tracks ended. The weather was perfect. When I got to a ridge and turned down, the snow was alternately good and then crusty with tons of obstacles. I was only able to link a couple of turns at a time before picking my way through small trees and brush. The skiing wasn't great, but what a beautiful day.

Name:	USCOM0IeQ949zZbroa7arTOTNaviRA-uru_zIv0SaKb0Y_UXrCDg0OuHSuAMUDVlV1XSzrCryDCCNb0NtpaCbqSoXwahggdgQqZPws4_AQTKJqfIw_r85PoW0reEQd0Gb9SmsubxuQw=w800.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	370.9 KB
ID:	105081

Name:	kmIshw_ql3IzO9x5h00n6X4X3R6VEIBGpv3xlHm5B-sbmX-BuodimksZPBE5u3HXIs-Rv63dG_h8UGeiSr187f7kySXb2dOqib9V2uVz3lXFs5xu6EVhm2q-eMcLVa12ys5MkywyE1g=w800.jpg
Size:	374.3 KB
ID:	105082

Name:	8N_VMbj4T0VYyvoRuvMoqCHrpe4uhzmTwuZNDZAc5MEoI8eiNvrn4u1OXDfoUEK8rXfrjsM2RjkCSfYuvFH6d6GAqa5vMlKmIMeFF9dLgRvHN_JomA3rMnd__9Adc3F7SeYzc1n6LrM=w800.jpg
Size:	265.9 KB
ID:	105083

Comment

• Quad as friend of mine posted this relive yesterday
                      https://www.relive.cc/view/vQvyD8GWQ4q

to bad we don’t have any big systems on the horizon to keep building the base and refresh what we have.

know several folks in south lake now that have Covid seems to be spreading fast now, time to step up the cautionary measures and hopefully they can keep the lifts running for the sake of the BC

one from today

Name:	CAE52332-4997-46CF-A283-B626F0CB3247.jpeg
Views:	3
Size:	946.2 KB
ID:	105105

Comment

Working...
                      X