New telemark binding maker, First Track

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New telemark binding maker, First Track

Is anyone familiar with the Italian skimaker First Track? According to their website and Instagram feed, they seem to be entering the telemark binding business for next year.

https://firsttrack.it/en/attacchi/

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190627-060538.png
Views:	179
Size:	540.9 KB
ID:	96249

Name:	Screenshot_20190627-060620.png
Views:	171
Size:	425.5 KB
ID:	96250

Their text:

The right premise is that in our life of Telemarker we have tried all the bindings on the market, looking for the ideal harmony. In designing our bindings, the search for this ideal led us to discover the "invisible"! Invisible not to the eye but to the body: neutral in the movement, to support and exalt the wonderful technical gesture of the telemark without polluting it with reactions induced by the tool itself.

FirstTrack telemark bindings are designed:
    • To accompany progressively the natural movement of the telemark turn both in flexion and release, without blinside
    • To keep the skier's heel perfectly in line without this affecting the compression and release movement of the spring; this to guarantee a feeling of total control and fluidity
    • To make the Telemarker perceive the centrality of the ski, thanks to a structure that does not induce deformations to the sole of the boot, avoiding the annoying effect of embarking.
    • For comfort and easy utilization thanks to the "alpine style" fit.
    • For the safety utilization both in powder and on piste thanks to the skistop that avoids the anchor effect in avalanche typical of the traditional leash and avoids that every fall can turn into a danger for others and for our precious skis.

From some more sleuthing, it appears that there is an aluminum heel throw not pictured in the drawings above. Also, in answers to comments, they have said that it uses the 22D mounting pattern. As to compatibility, someone asked "Looks like 75mm.. what’s your goal, better touring or downhill performance?" The response was: "We are thinking of a modular system the first components will be downhill and will be integrated with turing parts ...."

My 2 cents:
    Looks essentially like a Bishop clone. Maybe a bit lighter? But there doesn't appear to be a touring pivot, so skinning in these things as drawn would be quite a bear; not sure there's any reason to try to make them lighter weight. Still, the idea of a fully modular binding is kinda cool. Swap out parts for the day's intended mission. Any telemark binding innovation is good, can't wait to see them in the flesh.

Comment

First I've heard of them. The skis have nice dimensions and weigh 0 grams. The binding looks like a Bishop. What am I missing? Edit... I'm just a few minutes late it seems.

Comment

Definitely a Bishop clone. Can't see the safety that avoids the "anchor effect." Curious what the "annoying effect of embarking" is. Perhaps they're referring to the annoying effect of resistance without a free pivot when embarking on a tour?

Good sleuthing Robert.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

Heel cable binding.... Next...
          the fall line is your friend.... resistance is futile

Comment

There's something going on with the plate under the ball of the foot. It looks hinged at the back, as if maybe the whole thing moves up & down to help actuate the brakes. I could see this being a lot more reliable/durable/icing-resistant than the current paradigm of having a little plastic tab sticking thru a hole. Or maybe there's some other reason for it being an independent piece?

Name:	fttele4.PNG
Views:	178
Size:	263.3 KB
ID:	96259

Also, the inverted heel riser seems kinda pointless without a touring pivot, though I suppose it could be stomached for short traverses out of the ski area or something. Clutching at straws, perhaps that knob on the back allows you do easily switch to a low-tension mode for touring. Still, though, you're lifting all that metal with every stride. I guess that's the price you have to pay for the burliest in downhill performance. But man, if the Meidjo/Lynx aren't burly enough for your needs, you must be skiing some gnarly gnarly s***...

Name:	fttele6.PNG
Views:	175
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	96260

Comment

Originally posted by Dostie View Post
              Can't see the safety that avoids the "anchor effect." Curious what the "annoying effect of embarking" is.
              I think all they mean by "anchor effect" is that it has brakes rather than leashes, so your skis don't act as anchors in a burial.

Google translates that 3rd bullet point as "To let the Telemarker perceive the centrality of the ski, thanks to a structure that does not cause deformations to the sole of the boot thus avoiding the annoying effect of the boat." I'd take this to mean that the design somehow combats rocker launch?

Comment

Originally posted by bobbytooslow View Post
                Google translates that 3rd bullet point as "To let the Telemarker perceive the centrality of the ski, thanks to a structure that does not cause deformations to the sole of the boot thus avoiding the annoying effect of the boat." I'd take this to mean that the design somehow combats rocker launch?
                Googoo? You think Googoo is a relevant, reliable source of insight on telemarking?

P.S. ...although you clearly know how to manipulate the algorithms to Google for gold.
                Last edited by Dostie; 28th June 2019, 05:15 PM.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

This binding would have been somewhat interesting in 2005. Or maybe 2007. <Yawn>

Comment

great that someone else is jumping into the game, but...

agree looks very inspired by Bomber BMF's, but maybe at bit of telebry in the way the brake might function.

and i hate to say it, i am past cable/plate 75mm/NTN bindings. TTS variants are the future with the boots we have and any likely boots we will have. >= performance, <= weight, >= touring. all 75mm/NTN might win on is cost, and even then it is likely artificial. the bindings wouldn't cost less to make, just sell for less.

...so, but I wish they were jumping in with something else.

skis looked nice, but not my favored dimensions. i prefer narrower tails.

still love 3 pin bindings for some things though.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonq View Post
                      and i hate to say it, i am past cable/plate 75mm/NTN bindings. TTS variants are the future with the boots we have and any likely boots we will have. >= performance, <= weight, >= touring. all 75mm/NTN might win on is cost, and even then it is likely artificial. the bindings wouldn't cost less to make, just sell for less.
                      Totally agree here with one exception - Outlaw.

...still love 3 pin bindings for some things though.
                      Meh. I'm waiting for a T4/Excursion boot with 2-pin inserts to take the place of 3-pins.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

1st generation T2s with original Voile Plates and 3-pins on Kazama Cornices for sand skiing.

Comment

Originally posted by Dostie View Post
                          Totally agree here with one exception - Outlaw.

Meh. I'm waiting for a T4/Excursion boot with 2-pin inserts to take the place of 3-pins.
                          Give me a duckbilled F1 Carbon and I will go back to 3-pins...

Comment

TTS variants are the future with the boots we have and any likely boots we will have. >= performance, <= weight, >= touring.
                            This.

If there is to be an increase in telemark numbers, all parties (consumers, boot manufacturers, binding manufacturers, ski shops) need to be full speed ahead with 2-pin/TTS. It's been proven that it can ski well, and that's with boots that weren't even designed for the purpose. Another heavy, downhill-oriented, cable/plate binding is pretty much the last thing we need. I'm surprised to see these Bishop clones coming out of the land of skinny skis and skinnier pants...

Comment

maybe at bit of telebry in the way the brake might function
                              Not to hijack my own thread, but does anyone know about the apparent changes at Telebry? They have a new modern website, they're shipping from Mammoth instead of New Mexico, and they seem to have scrapped that TTS-style binding they were selling. Is it a "they" now? I previously understood it to be one guy, Bryce.

Comment

Working...
                              X