Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AT Binding Poll - what's on your skis?

What Alpine Touring rig do you have on your skis (pick all that apply)?

There's a few missing, like some of the ultralight 2-pin race binders. Add your comments as inspired.
    Dynafit (legacy - 5-hole pattern, std. fiddle entry -- TLT, Comfort, Vertical)
    20.00%
    Dynafit Rotation/Radical (4-hole pattern, toe rotates - including OEM binders)
    20.00%
    G3 Ion, Ion Lite, or Zed
    45.00%
    Fritschi Vipec
    15.00%
    Fritschi Tecton
    5.00%
    Fritschi plate binding (Freeride, Eagle, etc.)
    10.00%
    Marker Kingpin
    10.00%
    Marker plate binding (Duke, Baron, Tour)
    10.00%
    Marker Alpinist
    0%
    Salomon Guardian / Atomic Tracker
    0%
    Salomon MTN / Atomic Backland
    5.00%
    Salomon Shift
    5.00%
    Dynafit Speed Radical (or other ultra-light skimo race binding)
    10.00%
    Plum (Yak, Guide, etc.)
    5.00%
    Ski Trab
    0%
    Generic uber-light AT race binding
    10.00%
    Last edited by Dostie; 24th June 2019, 09:05 AM.

ain't no turn like tele!

...and I still have a pair of Ramer Classics that have been used sporadically in the past five years with newbies that didn't need to know it has been replaced by Dynafiddle.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

/insert training heels joke here

Comment

no one should mistake my vote for the vipec as some wisdom on my part, although after owning them for a while, I see why they are probably one of the best choices in a tech binding.
        the fall line is your friend.... resistance is futile

Comment

Well been using Dynafit Speed Radicals since they came out and contrary to Dostie's "Dynafiddle" snark, the newer generation ones with the anti rotation lock is darn reliable, light and a good choice for someone who is moving on to AT touring. WTBS, not the best choice for a dual resort/touring binding but most certainly good enough for up and down touring on most any slope. Now, what's missing on Dostie's poll is the Salomon Shift binding, probably sold more of these last year that any of the others and will be a huge player in the AT market.

So, going to talk touring bindings and dual purpose bindings really need to talk boots as well..........
          "Just say no to groomed snow"

Comment

Originally posted by Quadzilla View Post
            ...what's missing on Dostie's poll is the Salomon Shift binding
            Point taken. Poll modified.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

"ain't no turn like tele!"

Ugh, like really?

Comment

I refuse to vote in a poll that does not include "Bunny with a pancake on its head" or "G3 Onyx",

Comment

I assume you don't want us to answer if we use these toepieces only, such as in a telemark tech system, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by bobbytooslow View Post
                    I assume you don't want us to answer if we use these toepieces only, such as in a telemark tech system, correct?
                    Correctamundo. Heels must be locked for descent.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

Originally posted by Dostie View Post
                      Point taken. Poll modified.
                      Couldn't vote on Shift bindings as I have a pair but already voted on Speed Radicals. Anyway, IMO, the Salomon Shift binding really raises the level of the AT/ Alpine binding game as you get a full on Alpine step in binding with the hold in and Alpine binding power/release values with a pin binding for touring. You can also use a Alpine boot and a pin AT boot with the same binding and same ski. So very appealing from the resort skier who may occasionally tour to a backcountry skier who wants and needs more power from his/her gear.

For me, I have a pair mounted on some DPS 112 Wailers and they work as advertised and I like them resort skiing on powder as I can use my Alpine boots and like the lack of stack hight on the skis. As far as touring, to be honest only used them a few times as I like my Dynafit Speed Radicals better due to lack of weight and less complicated transitions. But as a quiver of one, I would be satisfied with these.
                      "Just say no to groomed snow"

Comment

Where you say,
                        "Dynafit (legacy - 5-hole pattern, std. fiddle entry)" you might specify that means, 5-Hole Toe piece pattern; ie Dynafit Comfort, Vertical etc.

Same for
                        "Dynafit Rotation/Radical (4-hole pattern, toe rotates - including OEM binders)" which means the later 4-hole toe piece pattern.

ps. looks like I am the only Salomon MTN skier...
                        Last edited by chamonix; 28th June 2019, 07:47 AM.

Comment

So far (01july19) it's a tie between G3 and Dynafit (9-9). Interesting to see how quickly folks have adopted an alternative to the original.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

My other AT binding is a Silvretta 500, with brakes.
                            Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!

Comment

Originally posted by RobRoyMeans View Post
                              My other AT binding is a Silvretta 500, with brakes.
                              Now there's a bumper sticker you don't see every day!

Comment

Working...
                              X