Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NTN Boot Compatible Crampons

Hey All,

I switched to NTN this year and, while there've been plenty of gear shakeouts already, I'm now finding out that none of my tried and true spring ski gear works either. I hadn't given that much thought till now. Which brings me to my question of the day: What light boot crampons work well with NTN boots like a TX Pro? I'm replacing my Camp XLC 390s, so I guess I'd like to stay with aluminum for the time being. The only ones I've gotten a chance to try so far is the Grivel Air Tech Light narrow semi-autos. They were a no-go. Anyone out there have a recommendation? Will the Camp 490s work?

Thanks!

cheers,
    john

I like the Techpon 250 by Proski. It should attach to any boot with tech fittings, NTN or AT. I've used it with TX's and I plan to use it with TXP Pro. It is just the front half of a crampon, so it's no good for going on flats or going downhill. But you're a skier, you'll be on skis in that case. The plus is that it's light and packs small, so it's easy to throw in the pack even if you don't think you'll need it.

Comment

5-Point Crampons. Super lightweight. Adequate for most situations. Not so good if you want heel grip on a descent.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

Why not just use the Camp 390's on your NTN boots?

Personally, I like automatic crampons (ones with a toe bail, not a webbing toe) You stick your toe in the bail and fix the ankle strap and you're on your way. I have grivel haute route crampons. They weren't my first choice, but they work "OK" and I got them when Marmot had their going out of business sale. I always liked the black diamond Neve pro's which are aluminum and work on ski boots. If you want the steel crampons like the Serac Pro's for ski boots you have to buy the wide toe bails for them to fit the wider ski boot toe, but they are also a nice design. Most BC skiers only need aluminum crampons, but you really have to know what terrain choices you need crampons for to make a good choice...
        the fall line is your friend.... resistance is futile

Comment

Camp 390s worked on my black/yellow TX Pros.

Comment

My black/yellow TX Pros got ruined by a ski shop tech when I was getting them blown out to accommodate my ankle bones, so I never checked the Camp 390s on them. Luckily, I was able to score a pair of old pre-production Terminator X's off of ebay and, while they look to me exactly like my Pros, there's no way that the front bail of those Camps works with them; they're way, way too narrow. Does Camp produce more than one front bail for those things?!

Gotta say, those tech-fitting only crampons look super cool. I may need a pair of those regardless.

Thanks!

cheers,
            john

Comment

Working...
            X