Mountain Bike Thread - 2019

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mountain Bike Thread - 2019

Time to upgrade to 2019........ Still plenty of Spring ski touring available but right now more interested in bike riding with low elevation single track opening up and tee shirt temps. We have been riding 3x week of singe track rides of around 2hrs. and our ET's are close to our best times of last season. We did ride with SPQR and his wife last week and had a good time showing them Clear Creek as they rode their new HT trail bikes fore the first time. They have Ibis HTs set up with plus tires, droppers, 29er and capable.

Ive been riding my HT too and did some mods to it recently. I dropped tire size from 3.0 to 2.8 and the 2.8's have a stiffer sidewall so the tires are more upright with less bulge to kiss rocks. I also change the rear hub ratchet to a 36 tooth, both mods especially the tires are a huge difference. We also bought a dodge van as we want to range out on overnite trips and wanted a easy way to stay out and sleep at the TH's.

On a more sad note, Lynn had a pedal strike and went OTB and cracked a bone in her wrist. Injury was in the same place she had surgery a long time ago so the site was loaded with arthritis and hard to evaluate. She is in a soft split and will be out for a while. She is also headed for a new hip in Sept too, Obviously going to effect her riding this season especially the Fall. Hopefully the end game will be a plus as lately she can't ski tour but her riding has been doable. Anyway, we play hard at dangerous activities, so it isn't if but when the wreck happens. She thinks she will be riding by 6-1.

Click image for larger version  Name:	008 (1280x934).jpg Views:	6 Size:	1.10 MB ID:	95821Click image for larger version  Name:	010 (1280x948).jpg Views:	6 Size:	1.01 MB ID:	95822
    Last edited by Dostie; 10th May 2019, 12:01 PM.
    "Just say no to groomed snow"

Sorry to hear about Lynn’s wrist. I can commiserate, I’ve been a wreck last few weeks with after affects from the flu and then got sick from a contaminated water bottle, I should know better. Last three days finally feeling better and rode a decent tempo on my road bike three days in a row. Looking forward to returning to Tahoe area for more mtn biking as soon as we can.

Comment

It's that time of year again.

Comment

I just pulled my Ibis Ripley LS out of the basement for the season. Unfortunately, the daily rainfall has kept the trails off limits for now.

Comment

Quadmobile
          Click image for larger version  Name:	009 (1280x937).jpg Views:	0 Size:	912.7 KB ID:	95829

Comment

4wd?

Comment

Front wheel drive, six cylinders, six speed. Van is made by Fiat and a lot of weight over front end so supposed to be grippy. Won't be a primary snow vechicle.

Comment

Quad,

As you know, I was a minivan man for nearly 30 years. Mostly AWD but the last van was only FWD. With a good set of chains (I called 'em one-minute chains) you can judiciously go anywhere an AWD van goes with a chained up FWD van.

FWIW, by comparison, 4WD SUCKS compared to AWD.

Last edited by Dostie; 11th May 2019, 07:13 AM.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

Thanks for the demo on those chains! Brilliant! I hate getting in to get the back side of mine hooked up. That said, I use chains more as a safety item for AWD/4WD. Chains are ok when the roads are bad or you are on FSRs where speeds are slow. But for those times that you want to maintain highway speed, AWD wins. Does open my eyes though to the possibility of Dodge FWD over Sprinter RWD (I want a 4WD, but they are hard to come by used).

Good work getting the thread up and running Quad. I've been mostly building this year. We currently have a contractor, volunteers, and myself coordinating. Trying to get things done before it gets hot.

Comment

Getting out daily on local urban single tracks along nearby river and ravines with such nice weather with and no rain to break up riding routines....Today drove a bit for a nice loop with Tabitha on her new Ghost near Fishtrap Lake on the Columbia Plateau.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0598.jpg Views:	0 Size:	798.4 KB ID:	95846

Click image for larger version  Name:	60340467_10213388671503454_5079383849310355456_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	154.7 KB ID:	95842
                    Last edited by Valdez Telehead; 11th May 2019, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Cruising near Nelson BC over the weekend. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0611 (1).jpg
Views:	106
Size:	395.4 KB
ID:	96015

Comment

I've been neglecting this thread of late. Been spending all my spare time building and man, have we created some awesomeness in the forest!! I don't think pics, or even video can do it justice. But we'll see what I can come up with. One of the gullies we are using has 14 crossings! Like super speed going down, lose the speed and arc on the natural berm and repeat. Some of them don't go as high and we've added jumps instead. A lot of funnin'.

Comment

Originally posted by jnicol View Post
                          I've been neglecting this thread of late. Been spending all my spare time building and man, have we created some awesomeness in the forest!! I don't think pics, or even video can do it justice. But we'll see what I can come up with. One of the gullies we are using has 14 crossings! Like super speed going down, lose the speed and arc on the natural berm and repeat. Some of them don't go as high and we've added jumps instead. A lot of funnin'.
                          well that sounds like fun.....

riding at the moment in the SF bay area is about as good as it gets here.

Comment

Originally posted by Grant View Post
                            I just pulled my Ibis Ripley LS out of the basement for the season. Unfortunately, the daily rainfall has kept the trails off limits for now.
                            Almost 3 weeks later and the trails have only gotten more wet.

Going to look at a gravel bike this afternoon to get me through these shoulder seasons.

Comment

Some of the newer models of gravel/cross bikes have the ability to take 700 C with 40 mm tire width and then you can swap out and run 650 wheels with 2.1 or so tubeless wheels and tire setups. For 25 years or so I was among a very small number of riders riding cross bikes in our local mountain bike park. A few weeks back I bought new Ibis DV9’s for the wife and I and now I see a fair amount of riders riding the newer designed gravel/cross bikes with the 650 wheel setups. I have three cross bikes with different gearing that I used to use/rotate in depending on the trails I planned to ride all the time in the local park, but now I ride my Ibis Hakka MX with a 700C setup (40 mm tires) or my new DV9. I really want to try the Hakka with the 650 wheel setup. The new gravel/cross bikes are really awesome.

Comment

Working...
                              X