TR: A week in the 3 Vallees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TR: A week in the 3 Vallees

Flew over to Geneva, from Montreal. Then spent a week with British friends who had skied Les 3Vallees and knew area pretty well. Thursday, day 5 had a big storm; maybe 14-18 inches new snow. Skied in storm (with beacons). Friday weather cleared, and we went off traversing from lifts for untracked lines. I scouted down through rock bands, with my bright yellow jacket, then the others followed. We had a sub group of 4 strong skiers. Rather than a lot of blah-blah-blah here are the best pictures. First one, steep groomer, before we got the fresh snow. High speed carving, on my Atomics.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	steep groomer.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.20 MB ID:	95382 next pic, Aiguille de Fruit
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Aiguille des Fruit.jpg Views:	4 Size:	1.29 MB ID:	95360Click image for larger version  Name:	Gondola over untracked lines.jpg Views:	4 Size:	1.49 MB ID:	95361Click image for larger version  Name:	open snow field.jpg Views:	4 Size:	1.62 MB ID:	95362Click image for larger version  Name:	Full ski  group best.jpg Views:	5 Size:	1.30 MB ID:	95363 Full ski group. We stayed in adjoining apartments in Val Thorens. Click on images, for full screen.
    Last edited by chamonix; 8th April 2019, 02:35 PM.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Freddie pow enhanced 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.31 MB ID:	95368Click image for larger version  Name:	Freddie skis pow enhanced 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	943.8 KB ID:	95369Click image for larger version  Name:	Freddie deep snow 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.18 MB ID:	95370Freddie, strong skier on his Black Crow Atris
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Kathryn tele deep.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.06 MB ID:	95365Click image for larger version  Name:	Kathryn tele deep 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.52 MB ID:	95366Click image for larger version  Name:	Kathryn tele 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.23 MB ID:	95367 Click image for larger version  Name:	Kathryn tele deep surf.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.52 MB ID:	95380 Our only tele skier. I figured I would do better on AT setup to keep up, and have the possibility of touring one or two days with a guide. Ended up, snow off piste was so good, we just skied this fresh snow.
    Last edited by chamonix; 11th April 2019, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	Robbie ski pow 1.jpg Views:	10 Size:	1.46 MB ID:	95381Click image for larger version  Name:	image_10064.jpg Views:	3 Size:	1.23 MB ID:	95372Click image for larger version  Name:	Robbie ski pow 2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.48 MB ID:	95377And more pictures, Robbie, our strongest skier. He spent winter of 2016/, 2017 in Val d' Isere. I joined him there for a week with my son
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Robbie ski pow enhanced.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.58 MB ID:	95375
      Last edited by chamonix; 8th April 2019, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Looks absolutely fanstastic!!!

what skis did you bring? I thought your ‘atomics’ were the backland 102 mounted with Outlaws.

Comment

Wow, it looks great! Your timing was good. Love skiing the Alps!
          Function in disaster, finish in style.

Comment

Looks absolutely fanstastic!!!

what skis did you bring? I thought your ‘atomics’ were the backland 102 mounted with Outlaws.
            Well I found the Atomic Backlands didn't ski that well tele, so I put my Salomon MTN AT bindings on the ski instead. The skis are 95 underfoot.
            That way I could tour with a light setup, if we decided to do that. I took skins, and ski crampons, but never used them. A light ski/boot combo is nice when you are dragging a ski bag, through airports and bus stations too. Even climbing up stairs, at gondolas, I would flick my boot cuffs into walk mode for a great 60 degree ROM. Here is another powder shot, or two. Click image for larger version  Name:	Fredie deep pow 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.43 MB ID:	95392
            Click image for larger version  Name:	Freddie deep pow 4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.20 MB ID:	95388
            The Atomics, I found are a great carving ski, and perfectly capable of skiing the 12-18 inches of fresh powder we had. Pic of my 182 cm skis on this trip. Boots are the new Maestrale RS. "Fix the heel, fix the problem".
            Click image for larger version  Name:	Backland skis in France.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	155.4 KB ID:	95389
            I still have a lot of Go Pro footage to sort through and post later.
            Last edited by chamonix; 24th April 2019, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Those conditions look fantastic. Well done.

Comment

Originally posted by dschane View Post
                Those conditions look fantastic. Well done.
                Thanks. As my friend in Fernie used to say, I always bring the snow..

Comment

What a great trip. Nice light in those shots.

Originally posted by chamonix View Post
                  Then spent a week with British friends ....
                  Must be kind of weird to ski with people who talk funny like they do.

Comment

Originally posted by aqua toque View Post

Must be kind of weird to ski with people who talk funny like they do.
                    Well, we texted a lot...
                    Last edited by chamonix; 8th April 2019, 06:19 PM.

Comment

I spy a tele skier in your mix of friends.
                      Function in disaster, finish in style.

Comment

Originally posted by chamonix View Post
                        Well, we texted a lot...
                        Ha! Good idea.

Comment

A few more pictures, as before click on image for full screen.
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	hats at lunch.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.41 MB ID:	95405 hats at lunch ! Click image for larger version  Name:	K it was that deep.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.35 MB ID:	95406Click image for larger version  Name:	K tele tracks.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.30 MB ID:	95408It was deep. Click image for larger version

Name:	Robbie waist deep.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	95413Click image for larger version  Name:	Robbie untracked.jpg Views:	0 Size:	895.0 KB ID:	95409Click image for larger version  Name:	Lunch at La Sittelle.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.63 MB ID:	95407 Lunch at La Sittelle Click image for larger version  Name:	Freddie ski to village.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.39 MB ID:	95410
                          Last edited by chamonix; 9th April 2019, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Nice TR, great timing.
                            Go for adventure, take pix, but make certain to bring'em back alive!

Comment

Originally posted by RobRoyMeans View Post
                              Nice TR, great timing.
                              I was surprised to see a storm with that much deep, dry snow, in April. The day before as the ridges started to cloud over, and high winds picked up, there were signs at the base of each lift warning skiers to return to their valley of "residence".
                              We headed back to our base; Val Thorens, from Les Menuires in the lowest valley. But when we got to the upper lift, Mont de la Chambre to return to VT, it was shutdown for wind. So we had to ski back down to the base of Les Menuires, and take a bus back to Val. The next day, the snow had come, bigly.

Still a great finish to our week in VT.
                              Last edited by chamonix; 1st May 2019, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X