Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chamonix
    replied
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Les 3 Vallees map.jpg Views:	0 Size:	707.6 KB ID:	95499Click image for larger version  Name:	Les 3 Vallees map.jpg Views:	0 Size:	707.6 KB ID:	95498
    My experience in 3 Vallees was that most of the tourists, British package tour skiers (aka "Punters") didn't venture off the groomers at all, except for those stronger skiers, skiing with a guide. There were some locals and Snowboarders, who we saw on some of the lines we skied, off piste. But there is an amazing amount of terrain, in the 3 Vallees, so stuff didn't get tracked out fast. See map above.

link here, you can click on this lower map to see full screen view. Orelle, is a whole area, off the map, to the right of this view, where we also skied.

https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resor...vel/trail-map/
    Last edited by chamonix; 13th April 2019, 06:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Baaahb
    replied
    Dewam my experience is the powder lasts much longer. First, there is so much "off piste" i.e. ungroomed. Second, they don't seem to have the same powder fever. When I was skiing Cortina, there was about 4 inches of fresh...not a "powder day" but it beat the groomers, though was bit tricky as it was on top of a corn snow base that had ski ruts. I was skiing the side of some slopes and only dealing with my own tracks....until some other Americans showed up. : )

Leave a comment:

• chamonix
    replied
    Originally posted by dewam View Post

Nice job supporting your friends. Nice to hear the trip worked.
    The lunch picture looks like lots of folks, but you have lots of shots of untracked snow. Around here, we call it "powder hour", no clean lines after the first hour most of the time. Having never been across the pond, could you (or others) tell me about skiing powder days? Around here it used to be you could farm lines for a day or two, but the instillation of high speed quads changed that.
    We had a group of maybe 3 strong skiers, plus one telemarker , who broke away from the larger group, until a meet at lunch . Those are the skiers in the Vimeo clip..
    Then our sub-group of skiers went to higher lifts, with red and black runs. Because all the skiing is above tree line, and nothing is marked, ie cliffs, etc you are on your own to traverse out, and look for lines that no one else has skied yet.
    If you can safely pick your way down through rock bands, one can find untracked lines until noon or later (with the occasional rock scratch on your base). . With a guide, who knows the area, even better than our skiers, we could have done even more. But we did pretty well. Later in the day, the hot April sun started to "cook" some of the South facing runs, as in the last video clip. So we tried to find North facing slopes as much as possible. That is why my shadow is visible in the ski videos; sun is behind me.
    Here, early in day, you can see where skiers have traversed farther out from a lift for untracked lines..
    Click on the image for a larger view. Look at top of this pic, to see where skiers traversed out (probably with a guide, or locals)
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Untracked pow lines.jpg Views:	2 Size:	1.83 MB ID:	95478

I am sure, with a guide, (and skins, which I bought along, maybe with a short boot track) we could have found lines for days after this storm.
    I put together a Flickr album, with the best pics from the trip here,

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmCmULxa
    Last edited by chamonix; 15th April 2019, 05:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dewam
    replied
    Originally posted by chamonix View Post

Thanks. I always bring the snow..
    Nice job supporting your friends. Nice to hear the trip worked.
    The lunch picture looks like lots of folks, but you have lots of shots of untracked snow. Around here, we call it "powder hour", no clean lines after the first hour most of the time. Having never been across the pond, could you (or others) tell me about skiing powder days? Around here it used to be you could farm lines for a day or two, but the instillation of high speed quads changed that.

Leave a comment:

• telemarkmark
    replied
    Amazing, what great skiing.....I really hate posts like this one!!!

Leave a comment:

• chamonix
    replied
    Originally posted by Baaahb View Post
    Sweet. I assume that's the same big storm we encountered a week ago on the eastern side of the alps; some areas getting over 4 feet. TR brewing.....
    Yes Baaahb. Give us another Euro TR . This storm hit the 3Vallees Wednesday night. Woke up to a winter wonderland of snow, and it snowed all day Thursday.
    I am editing some of my video (just GoPro ) now. If Louis had come along, we would have set up a Hi-Def camcorder for better video; leapfrog down the runs..

Here is the Vimeo video edit. I would ski ahead, then stop, to film the others coming towards me, one at a time. At least that was the plan.. Looks like the camera, on my helmet, was pointed a bit low. Snow looks great, anyway..

On the last video clip, we were skiing down to Orelle, and this sunbaked section worried me a bit. I was seeing pinwheels, and some small sluffs in steep places. I told Freddie (red helmet) to get in a safe spot behind this big rock, while I skied the lower section. Lower down we had to work our way through a cliff band..So that was our last Off-Piste run..
    Last edited by chamonix; 11th April 2019, 06:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tele.skier
    replied
    Just going is great, Going and getting the goods when you're there is awesome!

Leave a comment:

• Baaahb
    replied
    Sweet. I assume that's the same big storm we encountered a week ago on the eastern side of the alps; some areas getting over 4 feet. TR brewing.....

Leave a comment:

• chamonix
    replied
    Originally posted by RobRoyMeans View Post
    Nice TR, great timing.
    I was surprised to see a storm with that much deep, dry snow, in April. The day before as the ridges started to cloud over, and high winds picked up, there were signs at the base of each lift warning skiers to return to their valley of "residence".
    We headed back to our base; Val Thorens, from Les Menuires in the lowest valley. But when we got to the upper lift, Mont de la Chambre to return to VT, it was shutdown for wind. So we had to ski back down to the base of Les Menuires, and take a bus back to Val. The next day, the snow had come, bigly.

Still a great finish to our week in VT.
    Last edited by chamonix; 1st May 2019, 07:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RobRoyMeans
    replied
    Nice TR, great timing.

Leave a comment:

• chamonix
    replied
    A few more pictures, as before click on image for full screen.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	hats at lunch.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.41 MB ID:	95405 hats at lunch ! Click image for larger version  Name:	K it was that deep.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.35 MB ID:	95406Click image for larger version  Name:	K tele tracks.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.30 MB ID:	95408It was deep. Click image for larger version

Name:	Robbie waist deep.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	95413Click image for larger version  Name:	Robbie untracked.jpg Views:	0 Size:	895.0 KB ID:	95409Click image for larger version  Name:	Lunch at La Sittelle.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.63 MB ID:	95407 Lunch at La Sittelle Click image for larger version  Name:	Freddie ski to village.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.39 MB ID:	95410
    Last edited by chamonix; 9th April 2019, 07:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• aqua toque
    replied
    Well, we texted a lot...
    Ha! Good idea.

Leave a comment:

• Allan Fici
    replied
    I spy a tele skier in your mix of friends.

Leave a comment:

• chamonix
    replied
    Originally posted by aqua toque View Post

Must be kind of weird to ski with people who talk funny like they do.
    Well, we texted a lot...
    Last edited by chamonix; 8th April 2019, 06:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• aqua toque
    replied
    What a great trip. Nice light in those shots.

Then spent a week with British friends ....
    Must be kind of weird to ski with people who talk funny like they do.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X