Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*** Season Pass Situation is Insane

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • *** Season Pass Situation is Insane

    Christ, I'm even considering buying both. IMO skiing has never been cheaper...as in skiing a LOT has never been cheaper.

    Does the conglomeration spell doom for the industry? I'm not sure, but going to play my fiddle while it burns.
    Last edited by Baaahb; 7th March 2019, 03:27 PM.

  • #2
    And for those who are unable to ski very often, it makes skiing under the lifts even LESS affordable. Thought I might spring for an Ikon next season, but the price went UP. Guess I'll be searching for some old F1s and adding some MichaelBoltOn duckbutts.

    ain't no turn like tele!

    Comment


    • #3
      lawyers shouldn't complain about the price of a season pass.... seriously dude what rate do you bill out at??

      My co-worker passed away and I'm teaching his 18 year old son to ski. A daily lift ticket and rental cost me $141. I thought, "Wow, insane!", then the guy behind me bought 3 adult daily passes and 4 kids passes and it cost him $455. for the DAY. I didn't feel so bad when I heard his total.... lol

      Wait, you're saying the season passes are cheap? wow, you do make too much money...
      the fall line is your friend.... resistance is futile

      Comment


      • #4
        Prices always go up. But Baaahb's point stands. Skiing a moderate or more number of days has never been cheaper.

        This season I have 9 days in Utah, maybe 5 days in Colorado (Copper/WP) and for Spring Break planning on 4 days in Steamboat then 4 days in Aspen/Snowmass. All for $599.

        Next season I'm already scheming to do Jackson/Big Sky trip as well as possibly doing Spring Break in Alberta/British Columbia. And maybe Taos. Or Utah again.

        I really hope I'm able to retire before all this bounty goes to Hell in a handbasket.

        Comment


        • #5
          Indeed. The price of day tickets is crazy. If it's not on your pass, the thought of skiing a few days somewhere else for variety is a non-starter. On the other hand, there's so much more on your pass. I'll probably "sell up" this year. Not as in getting both passes, but sticking with the Evail Empire. For an additional $90 (half the price of a day ticket), I can add to a value pass five nights each at a half dozen more destinations just a road trip away. Hey, who here lives near Park City?

          Seriously, dude, I'm retired. But, yeah, if you want to sell your soul, you can easily bill out the cost of a season pass in an hour or two. And not just lawyers.
          Last edited by Baaahb; 6th March 2019, 06:48 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            The IKON pass, brining you the 34 busiest resorts. Good news the holiday crowds are down because most will that the blackout dates pass.

            Comment


            • #7
              Well the saving grace is, when you get really old and decrepit like 76 years old, you buy a Super Senior Seasons Pass for Whistler/Blackcomb for C$179, which is is about the same price as an adult day ticket at the window. Mind you, geriatric knees lead to a shorter ski days but it's still as much fun.
              Last edited by Nick D; 6th March 2019, 10:20 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by tele.skier View Post
                lawyers shouldn't complain about the price of a season pass.... seriously dude what rate do you bill out at??
                This kind of argument rubs me the wrong way. Just because someone earns a lot of money doesn't mean they should and will necessarily spend it with reckless abandon. You make more money therefore you must spend more should not be a paradigm.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by jnicol View Post
                  You make more money therefore you must spend more should not be a paradigm.
                  But if you do make more moola you probably will.

                  ain't no turn like tele!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by jnicol View Post

                    This kind of argument rubs me the wrong way. Just because someone earns a lot of money doesn't mean they should and will necessarily spend it with reckless abandon. You make more money therefore you must spend more should not be a paradigm.
                    How's the 'trickle down' economy supposed to work, if the rich don't spend it recklessly?

                    Back to the OP - this is "Backcountry Talk". It's the place to complain about how expensive climbing skins have gotten, not ski passes.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by jnicol View Post

                      This kind of argument rubs me the wrong way. Just because someone earns a lot of money doesn't mean they should and will necessarily spend it with reckless abandon. You make more money therefore you must spend more should not be a paradigm.
                      That's not the point at all. The point is that someone who makes 6 or 7 figures a year, doesn't have the same contraints on their spending that a much poorer person does. Hence, you see a lot of new Audi's in the parking lots of ski resorts and not so many "landscaper's pickup trucks". Most of the 4wd pickup trucks you do see have rarely been used to do any "earning a living". They're more used to get a family's $10,000 worth of mountain bikes to the trailhead, skis to the resort, or else it's someplace for their Burneese Mt dog to ride where he won't destroy the vehicle's interior...

                      The point being that skiing is expensive, and certainly the cost is less burdensome if a person is wealthy, but there's a whole range of people who are dedicated skiers who are not very wealthy. We're called "dirtbags", and we pay the same as everyone else for our season pass, or daily lift ticket, but it's a larger percentage of the money we have to use for doing fun stuff. You may not like the way it sounds or like that there's "income inequality" in the world, but the guy who cuts your lawn can't bill you at the same rate as your lawyer. Nor can your carpenter, nor any other blue collar dudes...

                      Someone who bills out at more than $250. per hour.... shouldn't complain about the cost of a lift ticket (Bahhhb pretty much agreed with me... but that wasn't really his point initially) I think his point was actually that a season pass is the best use of anyone's funds, and skiing a variety of places while buying daily lift tickets is insane by comparison... and it is!

                      the fall line is your friend.... resistance is futile

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Well, I got my season pass this year, for $500 (with tax) at Jay Peak. No blackouts..
                        Incidentally, I am organizing a ski trip to Val Thorens, France end of March. We suddenly got invited to join some Brit friends. Why not? Add on to our hotel room charge, for 6 days skiing (Trois Vallee pass for all resorts) will be about 400 Euros. That's 200 Euros each.

                        PS. To buy the Trois Vallees pass, each for 6 days skiing, is 275.40 Euros, from the resort company. Not sure about the discount I mentioned above.
                        https://www.valthorens.com/en/prepare--ski/skipass

                        That works out to 308 US dollars, or roughly 50 US a day.
                        Last edited by chamonix; 7th March 2019, 03:13 PM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by tele.skier View Post
                          The point being that skiing is expensive,...(Bahhhb pretty much agreed with me... but that wasn't really his point initially) I think his point was actually that a season pass is the best use of anyone's funds, and skiing a variety of places while buying daily lift tickets is insane by comparison... and it is!
                          Well, yeah, skiing is expensive. But you used to be able to buy a nice ski set up for about $600 and the season pass was $1,500. Now the pricing is reversed...converting to NTN will set me back the cost of two season passes (though I'm sure with some effort I can do better than end of season retail.)

                          My point is, and has always been, that if you do a lot of this expensive sport and like exploring a few resorts as well your home mountain, it is has become quite cheap....compared to prior years. It is still a very expensive sport compared to, say, hiking.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Well Baaahb, since the production of the tx was ended, there's only 2 choices in scarpa NTN boots. I wouldn't even consider garmont/scott boots, and Crispi's 4 buckle boots are "OK" but are on the more powerful/resort style side of boot design. From this situation you either buy either the txcomp or crispi evo for a powerful resort boot, OR you buy the scarpa txpro which is a little softer but still a 4 buckle boot. The only other alternative to them is to wait and see if scarpa release a new boot similar to the old tx with is a lighter touring boot. (I wouldn't hold my breath there) What mondo size are you? Lots of people buy NTN and don't like it and sell their barely used boots on craigslist and ebay. Maybe even josh madsen has used boots in your size... ya gotta look or pay retail.

                            As far as bindings go, you should be able to find a pair of rottefella freerides cheap, now that there's a few more powerful NTN bindings being produced. You mount them on your lift area skis and spend some time taking laps and getting used to the feel of NTN. You'll still have your old gear to split time on if you feel you're not getting it right away. Once you have a feel for it, you can just buy base plates to switch over more skis to NTN. Again, I'd call Josh Madsen and see if he can set you up...

                            You should be able to get boots and bindings for around $500. if you buy used... or $1000 if you're into new and retail...
                            the fall line is your friend.... resistance is futile

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by tele.skier View Post

                              That's not the point at all. The point is that someone who makes 6 or 7 figures a year, doesn't have the same contraints on their spending that a much poorer person does. Hence, you see a lot of new Audi's in the parking lots of ski resorts and not so many "landscaper's pickup trucks". Most of the 4wd pickup trucks you do see have rarely been used to do any "earning a living". They're more used to get a family's $10,000 worth of mountain bikes to the trailhead, skis to the resort, or else it's someplace for their Burneese Mt dog to ride where he won't destroy the vehicle's interior...

                              The point being that skiing is expensive, and certainly the cost is less burdensome if a person is wealthy, but there's a whole range of people who are dedicated skiers who are not very wealthy. We're called "dirtbags", and we pay the same as everyone else for our season pass, or daily lift ticket, but it's a larger percentage of the money we have to use for doing fun stuff. You may not like the way it sounds or like that there's "income inequality" in the world, but the guy who cuts your lawn can't bill you at the same rate as your lawyer. Nor can your carpenter, nor any other blue collar dudes...

                              Someone who bills out at more than $250. per hour.... shouldn't complain about the cost of a lift ticket (Bahhhb pretty much agreed with me... but that wasn't really his point initially) I think his point was actually that a season pass is the best use of anyone's funds, and skiing a variety of places while buying daily lift tickets is insane by comparison... and it is!
                              I don't know a single lawyer who makes 7 figures. Also don't know any that make even $300k. Some make in the 200s, some make in the 100s, and and many I know make 5 figures. So just assuming that "lawyer" means wealthy is absurd. And focusing on hourly billing rate is damn absurd. You also need to know how much they were able to bill (as billable hours is significantly different than hours worked, how much they actually collect on what is billed (as much is often written off), what the overhead is, etc. I know carpenters here who make more money than the lawyers (since you use carpenter as an example of a poor dirtbag blue collar worker); figuring out income is way more complicated than simply looking at hourly billing rate.

                              Not to mention that a lawyer making 100k in my town is actually probably scraping by, and can't afford to buy a single family home here. And if they have a family to support? Fuhgettaboutit. Now I'm not crying "woe is me", but it is annoying that you peg me as a wealthy person with money to burn as compared to poor old you, when I am barely getting by, and skiing is expensive as hell to me and only gets funded because, well, it's skiing and I have priorities. And for the record I drive a 13 year old vehicle with 180,000 miles on it and my mountain bike is 11 years old (skis are 5 years old, boots 8 years old, bindings 4 years old).

                              So yeah, maybe lay off the blanket statements about what other people can and can't afford, simply because of the title of their job.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X