Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jr. high school dance...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Jr. high school dance...

    I was wondering when some of you people went to your first Jr. high school dance, if you were brave and got up to dance, or did you wait to see if those who danced first got a good reaction from the crowd?....

    I was a dancer. It was 1971. I had longish hair. I was wearing Zebra striped, hip hugger bell bottoms with my belt buckle off to the side. I had on a floral shirt with puffy sleeves with some sort of pointy shoes.... but I got up and danced with the girls without any drugs in my system at the age of 13.

    Many years later, I asked my mom why she let me dress like a mini Jimi Hendrix. She said, "All you kids dressed like that. You didn't look any worse than any of your friends"

    Anyway,.... feel free to recall your Jr. high bravery as a response to my very meaningful thread, or start your own ski related thread if you weren't a dancer..
    the fall line is your friend.... resistance is futile

  • #2
    Now this needs a picture:
    Originally posted by tele.skier View Post
    I was wearing Zebra striped, hip hugger bell bottoms with my belt buckle off to the side. I had on a floral shirt with puffy sleeves with some sort of pointy shoes....
    And
    Originally posted by tele.skier View Post
    I got up and danced with the girls.
    that probably happened only because youtube had not yet been invented. In any event, to bring this thread into the present, I'd guess 7th grade bravado is directly correlated to willingness to ski the steeps.

    Comment


    • #3
      Not Junior High, but at the first mixer in the college dorm all the guys stood together and all the girls (chicks?) stood together. I walk over and started a conversation. Immediately, one of the girls asked me "How come you came over and the other guys are just standing there." To which I replied, "Because I have guts."

      Damn, that was STOOPID. File it away in the long list of STOOPID things I have said or done. It's a tall cabinet. So many missed opportunities. Ah, to be 18 again............

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Baaahb View Post
        Not Junior High, but at the first mixer in the college dorm all the guys stood together and all the girls (chicks?) stood together. I walk over and started a conversation. Immediately, one of the girls asked me "How come you came over and the other guys are just standing there." To which I replied, "Because I have guts."

        Damn, that was STOOPID. File it away in the long list of STOOPID things I have said or done. It's a tall cabinet. So many missed opportunities. Ah, to be 18 again............
        Well Baaahb, please dig up that pic of you on some sort of snowboard back in your youth and have the masses here determine wither you were a "chick magnet" OR NOT.
        "Just say no to groomed snow"

        Comment


        • #5
          I know the pic of which you speak but not sure where that is right now. This, however, is readily accessible and much closer to the time concerned.

          Click image for larger version

Name:	1978 05 22.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	79971

          I have put on a few pounds since then.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Baaahb View Post
            Not Junior High, but at the first mixer in the college dorm all the guys stood together and all the girls (chicks?) stood together. I walk over and started a conversation. Immediately, one of the girls asked me "How come you came over and the other guys are just standing there." To which I replied, "Because I have guts."

            Damn, that was STOOPID. File it away in the long list of STOOPID things I have said or done. It's a tall cabinet. So many missed opportunities. Ah, to be 18 again............
            Baaahb, do NOT despair!
            You learned quite well, IMHO..
            As an adult, in this time, standing (or sitting) so very awkwardly around
            doing basically nothing (posting to ski forums on the web), unsure of the next "move"
            and yet being fully rewarded (think pay check!) proves you have done so very well!
            Keep on dancing , bro! Move them feets !

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Baaahb View Post
              I know the pic of which you speak but not sure where that is right now. This, however, is readily accessible and much closer to the time concerned.

              [ATTACH=CONFIG]202[/ATTACH]

              I have put on a few pounds since then.
              No Baaahb, that pic was after the surgery, I am talking about the one of the pasty kid with the horn rimmed glasses.
              "Just say no to groomed snow"

              Comment


              • #8
                7th grade. 1983? All I remember was Come on Feel The Noise by Quiet Riot. And I went nowhere NEAR the f**king dance floor.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Bel Biv Devoe. My friend requested "Do Me" and it played for about 40 seconds and the principal had the DJ turn it off.
                  I think there was lots of bad slow dancing at the beginning of power ballads that morphed into even more awkward slow dancing to a very un-dancable power ballad solos. Think November Rain.
                  I was certainly in the midst of that awkwardness.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I distinctly remember Chumbawumba's "Tubthumping" being played. Entertaining.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I went to the dances, but showed no bravery, the boys huddled along one wall and the girls huddled along the other.

                      The best of middle school started in 7th grade when I met a friend's cousin and discoverd weed, ah yes, the glory days

                      Now I work with middle schoolers and I feel so much sympathy for their pains, but I wouldn't trade places with them for money or love!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I specifically remember talking to a bunch of other 12 year old friends during a jr high dance and we then asked the DJ to play 'Shout'. During the song, I yelled 'Gator!!!' and 5-6 of just dove to the dance floor (gym floor) and started wrigling about just like the guys from Animal House. Had 'Honey Badger' been around in 1981, that would have been my nick-name!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          7th Grade Dance: Ended up in the ER with an overdose of quaaludes and Scotch....dead on the table but they revived me. Gives "Stairway to Heaven" a whole new significance. I'm OK now....sort of.

                          I was like Mikey in the old Life Cereal commercials..."Let Mikey try it...he'll try anything"
                          Last edited by BillyFromTheHills; 27 September 2013, 02:11 PM.
                          Yay!...(Drool)


                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Add Puka shells and make it 74' and you had me. We were a school full of dancers. Not bad for a bunch of middle class white kids.
                            Originally posted by tele.skier View Post
                            I was wondering when some of you people went to your first Jr. high school dance, if you were brave and got up to dance, or did you wait to see if those who danced first got a good reaction from the crowd?....

                            I was a dancer. It was 1971. I had longish hair. I was wearing Zebra striped, hip hugger bell bottoms with my belt buckle off to the side. I had on a floral shirt with puffy sleeves with some sort of pointy shoes.... but I got up and danced with the girls without any drugs in my system at the age of 13.

                            Many years later, I asked my mom why she let me dress like a mini Jimi Hendrix. She said, "All you kids dressed like that. You didn't look any worse than any of your friends"

                            Anyway,.... feel free to recall your Jr. high bravery as a response to my very meaningful thread, or start your own ski related thread if you weren't a dancer..
                            Lift served and proud of it.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by BillyFromTheHills View Post
                              7th Grade Dance: Ended up in the ER with an overdose of quaaludes and Scotch....dead on the table but they revived me.


                              did not see that coming . . .

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X