Best Eats along Hwy. 395 (East Side)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Eats along Hwy. 395 (East Side)

What are your fave haunts along the Eastern Sierra?

I still like Whoa Nellie Deli in the Mobil Mart at the entrance to Tioga Pass, but the popularity (read: lines) has become a deterent.

My fave is probably The Burger Barn in Bridgeport. Hayes Street Cafe, in Bridgeport too, is a good breakfast spot.

Been awhile since I've hung in Mammoth much. Where are the good eats there?

ain't no turn like tele!

Click image for larger version

Name:	5875976308_8b142d352c_z.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	320.5 KB
ID:	79967
    ^^The burgers here are also good

Click image for larger version

Name:	16306470.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	79968
    ^^Throwback diner grub in Lee Vining

Comment

Walker Burger in Bridgeport.

Comment

I'm going to go with the burger place at Tom's Place. Great ambience and the food was fantastic. Course, coming out after a two night winter overnight could have had something to do with that.

Comment

Restaurant @ Convict Lake Resort
          I dig Mono Cone.
          I haven't been to Mammoth in a while.
          Breakfast at Basecamp in Mammoth isn't bad.
          Didn't Toomey open a new restaurant serving the same Mobil Mart food in Mammoth?
          Discovered that the breakfast burritos from the deli at the General Store in Lee Vining are quite tasty.

There used to be some really really good restaurants in Mammoth. Most of it is meh now.
          Drive the cuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Edgewood View Post
            Walker Burger in Bridgeport.
            Walker Burger is my favorite, but I believe it's in Walker. Jolly Kone is in Bridgeport, right? All of the seating at WB is in that incredible shady outdoor area. Tip: One of my climbing partners told me that you can "sneak" beers into the outdoor eating area at WB which I can see being done pretty easily.
            I used to be pretty committed to the Mobe Mart, but these days I'm holding out for Walker for their burgers and onion rings. The Mobe is consistantly a mob and while those fish tacos are incredible, they are expensive and that doesn't fit my Tahoe dirtbag budget that well. Walker Burger is only open during the summer and in the other months I like Nicely's on the northern end of 395.
            Many times when I come out from a trailhead on the east side I want something sufficient to eat, not something dainty. Jack's, a cafe in Bishop fits that bill. They have homemade hot sauces and they are all delicious. The coffee shop next to Wilson's has good to great coffee and of course there is Schadt's bakery in Bishop. While this place is the definition of a $hit show during the summer months, their sandwiches and baked goods are worth it.

I've never had anything that spectacular in Mammoth but I only eat there if I'm doing something in Mammoth which isn't that often.
            Has ANYONE ever eaten at Topaz? I always see that billboard for cheap breakfasts and wonder if anyone has ever stopped to eat there.

Comment

Topaz breakfast was good but could have been bigger.

Comment

Schat's in Bishop does have great sandwiches and baked goods. I have had also gotten a good sandwich at Raymond's Deli, 1/2 block north of Mountain Light Gallery (a mandatory stop for me) at the intersection of 395 and E Line and W Line St (the road to the North Lake and South Lake trailheads).
                It's turns! Of course it's worth the hike!

Comment

Originally posted by SoMuchBetterThanU View Post
                  Breakfast at Basecamp in Mammoth isn't bad.
                  Agree, but the service I got there a week ago was AWFUL. On a quiet weekday morning. Go figure.
                  It's turns! Of course it's worth the hike!

Comment

The Kettle in Mammoth for breakfast.

Comment

You mean The Stove? It's been there but I've always avoided it for some reason. *shrug*

How could I forget: Good Life Cafe has always been decent for breakfast or lunch. Their burritos are ginormous.
                      Giovanni's Pizza is ok, so is Roberto's. There used to be a swiss place on Old Mammoth that moved or closed down, I forget. That place was decent.

Oh yeah, Skadi is great but $$.
                      Drive the cuff!

Comment

Pizza from the Virginia creek settlement. Jolly Cone over the Burger Barn and a beer at Rhinos!

Comment

Originally posted by SoMuchBetterThanU View Post
                          Giovanni's Pizza is ok, so is Roberto's.
                          Had a not so great experience at Giovanni's in Mammoth several years ago. Six of us headed there after a week long ski tour, hungry, dirty with dreams of tomato sauce, pepperoni, salads and beer. I'd been there many times in the past and always had a good meal. After downing our pizzas, we were still hungry so we asked the waitress if we could order another pizza. She looked a little perplexed at our request. She came back with the manager who gave us an explanation that they weren't able to fulfill our request and that our dinner was over. It didn't make sense to us at the time and I'm still a little puzzled. Yeah, we still had on our week old poly pro and one guy wasn't wearing any shoes, but I thought our request was reasonable.
                          Unfortunately, it left a bad taste in our mouths and I haven't been back since. Since that time, I've found other sources of pizza in Mammoth.
                          Originally posted by riser3
                          I heart filthy, stinky "hippies", although isn't mchin a Doctor or something like that? Hardly qualifies as a "hippie" IMHO...

Comment

as much as we dig the mo-mart, the burriots (both breakfast and chicken/beef/pork) from the general store in lee vining always hit the mark (make sure to grab some salsa out of the fridge next to the grab and go burritos)

Comment

Originally posted by mchin View Post
                              Had a not so great experience at Giovanni's in Mammoth several years ago. Six of us headed there after a week long ski tour, hungry, dirty with dreams of tomato sauce, pepperoni, salads and beer. I'd been there many times in the past and always had a good meal. After downing our pizzas, we were still hungry so we asked the waitress if we could order another pizza. She looked a little perplexed at our request. She came back with the manager who gave us an explanation that they weren't able to fulfill our request and that our dinner was over. It didn't make sense to us at the time and I'm still a little puzzled. Yeah, we still had on our week old poly pro and one guy wasn't wearing any shoes, but I thought our request was reasonable.
                              Unfortunately, it left a bad taste in our mouths and I haven't been back since. Since that time, I've found other sources of pizza in Mammoth.
                              So you ooze into someone's PUBLIC EATERY (!) with a week's worth of stink on you and partially clothed and you wonder why they don't greet with open arms? Jesus! Are people supposed to be impressed that you're BC skiers and give you the key to the city? Nobody friggin' cares! You're stinky and gross. You're lucky they let you in at all. Get the F out! Now you're on the intertubz bad mouthin' the place. What a piece of ****.

Comment

Working...
                              X