Synchro Skiing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synchro Skiing

On our recent trip (the TR is still in the works) we saw the Green Team doing its synchro ski down the mountain. Just like this (scroll to the middle to get to the dramatic action):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e0qUL5lnrc

I made a rude remark and was chastised by Mrs. B. Then I supported my remark by the unsubstantiated claim that any six truly world-class skiers could do just as well with a day's training.

What's the verdict? True sport or ______?

I know a few people who compete at that. I have exactly zero interest but can tell you it is a lot harder to do at a high level then you think. No one is gong to be able to compete with a days practice.

There are a lot of things people do that I consider goofy. There are even more goofy people doing them then you would expect and some of these goofy people are obsessed with doing it really well. I have even heard that some people spend decades trying to telemark ski at the same level as an alpine skier.
    Last edited by James; 3 April 2014, 04:36 PM.

Comment

It does seem a little silly. Surely harder than it looks.
      But the real question is, what's better this or freestyle canoeing?

Comment

For the win.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SBKG512RnU

By win I mean the most lame. Owning a tux and a wood canoe has some merit.
        Last edited by James; 3 April 2014, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MattB View Post
          Well... my vote is for the freestyle canoe-ist on sartorial points.
          Love the Mountains. Ride the Snow. Reduce your Carbon Footprint. www.SnowCode.org

Comment

Whether or not it is a sport is debatable, but what can't be denied that it is fun!

The Canadian Association of Nordic Ski Instructors (CANSI) had the National Seminar in the Gatineau area in February. There is some switch tele synchro footage.

Comment

And more tele synchro fun at InterTele at Snowbird last year. We were assembled into "teams" by binding brand, ski brand, boot brand, and given one practice run to come up with a demo synchro run. Some are more synchronized than others!

Comment

Originally posted by MattB View Post
                I tried. I could. not. watch. that.

Comment

Careful there, James, you're coming close to dissing Wayne Wong. Ski the Wong way!

Time for some extreme underwater ironing posts?

Comment

Originally posted by Ski Telemark View Post
                    And more tele synchro fun at InterTele at Snowbird last year. We were assembled into "teams" by binding brand, ski brand, boot brand, and given one practice run to come up with a demo synchro run. Some are more synchronized than others!
                    I think those videos kind of prove my point; some look pretty good, with very little practice.

Six guys doing hockey stops in unison just doesn't impress me. But yeah, maybe we can do this coming down Lassen. On leathers.
                    Last edited by Baaahb; 4 April 2014, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
                      For the win.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SBKG512RnU

By win I mean the most lame. Owning a tux and a wood canoe has some merit.
                      Tough call, but I think I need a tape of that song to listen to on my Walkman while I ski.

But Wayne Wong was (is?) the man! He probably had to do some ballet routines but his bump/freestyle/hotdog skiing was fun to watch IMO.

Comment

There is some agonizing video in this thread! FTW.

The switch skiing at 0.25 is shocking. The goggles flapping about keeps it real.

Good times at work.

There is a video out there on the internets of some Euro-dude doing remarkable high speed switch tele. A true tutorial in skiing on groomers.

Comment

Q: What's the worst thing about learning to synchro-ski?
                          A: Having to tell your parents that you're gay!

Comment

Loren, how can you be so misanthropic?

You could at least call it "girly".

BTW, what are your thoughts on camping opportunities at Lassen? See Lassen thread. And, aren't you going?
                            Last edited by Baaahb; 6 April 2014, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X