Suggestion for light ski helmet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion for light ski helmet?

Looking for suggestions for a lightweight helmet to strap on a pack for the skin track, (or stuff in a pack) yet offering some protection on the way down.
    Must be small, easy to carry.
    I have a big RED Mutiny for the resort now. Tired of lugging it everywhere. I ski mainly in the East, in the trees, so I really need to ski down with a helmet on.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Glade turns.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	89342skiing terrain like this..but steeper.
    Thanks, pictures will help.

I just went thru this. The Bern Brentwood and Giro Edit are very light. I imagine there are a few others but it is hard to trust the specs and I got tired of looking To be honest none of the new helmets are as light my older Giro 9 that I have had for around 10 years. I ended up with a discontinued Bern on sale because the old Giro was getting pretty gross.

Brentwoood

Name:	brentwood_black_3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	81384

Edit

Name:	MATBKFAD.jpg
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	81385

This is what i have but I don't think you will find it anymore. Bern Watts. It was supposed to be super light and it is light but more expensive retail and heavier then the Brentwood.

Name:	SARDFIKN.jpg
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	81386

If you want super light and packable just get one of the newer climbing helmets. BD has some crazy light ones but they are not ski rated. Camp has a light climbing helmet called the Pulse that is also rated for skiing.
    Last edited by James; 18 March 2014, 10:09 PM.

Comment

The Bern Fatties is big in Colorado and Washington these daze...

Comment

Smith Maze, too lazy to post a pic: http://www.smithoptics.com/Root/Men%...G/sizeVariants Lightest certified helmet when I bought mine. Simple, vents better than my Giro 9 did even though there are fewer vents, and lighter. No holes on top to let snow and errant branches in.

Comment

personally, i've always been curious about some of the paddling helmets for skiing. searching about it a few months ago, i found that there are some difference in the CE standards between the two (floation and impact at colder temps), but I have also read that some helmets are marketed to both markets and meet both CE standards. I prefer the lower profile of the paddling helmets.

Comment

I just ordered one of these for tree skiing and rocky gullies.
            Light and certified for climbing and skiing.
            http://www.backcountrygear.com/snows...e-rider-x.html
            It should arrive next week for this coming southern winter ---- hopefully it'll be well used and goodly on the noggin.

Comment

The Salewa Zenon helmet mentioned above is EN certified for Rock, Bicycle, Mountaineering, Skiing, Skating and…. sledding. At 320 grams is comparable in weight to many of the standard helmets in each of those sports.

The Kong Scarab helmet is very light at 245 grams and is also EN and UIAA certified for Rock, Bicycle, Mountaineering, Skiing, Skating, with the addition of equestrian, and white water sports.

Either of these options are lighter than my current ski helmet, a Giro 9.9.

Damn, where were all these options when most of us began collecing helmets for all these sports we've gotten involved with?

"There's a whole lot of reward on the other side of risk."

Comment

K2 has a really lite BC helmet for next year...search out 2015 K2 ski show info.

Comment

I just went through this as well. I was down to the Smith Maze and Giro Montane as they are the two lightest helmets. The Montane has many more features and a more adjustable fit. The Maze is basic and light. I bought the Montane since it was 40% off at the local EMS when I went in 2 weeks ago. It's rather large looking but light and very comfortable. Nicer fit than my old Nine.9. It also has a lot more venting (good on warm days, not as good when really cold).

Comment

Lot of good helmets out there, but I desire a few characteristics. #1 Clean round dome with no sun visor. #2 Small as possible.

This I do cause I stash my helmet in my pack when skinning. It just slides in and out easier without the visor.

The other thing I do is get rid of the ear muffs. They are worthless and just get all bend out of shape trying to stash it along with other things into your pack. Besides a good thin hat, or in my case, my Ibex Indie Hoodie flips up fine to keep my bald head warm under a helmet.

My Helmet

Comment

K2 Route helmetClick image for larger version

Name:	K2_RouteHelmet.jpg
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	81389

Comment

Thanks everyone! I will look over all the suggestions..

Gary-at-Tahoe, that K2 helmet looks really light..that's the one for next year?
                        Last edited by chamonix; 19 March 2014, 04:21 PM.

Comment

I've been really happy with 2 generations of the Smith Maze. Venting looks nominal, but works great. Very light. Don't even know it's there. Clean looking ski helmet without tons of holes for snow ingress.

Comment

Thanks WH. I just ordered a Smith Maze from EVO. Hope the large will fit..

Comment

Sorry I maybe a little late bit I use a Poc Trabec Race for MTB and BC tree skiing. It's not cheap, if I remember correctly I paid $120 online for mine. It can be dual duty MTB/ BC ski, it's light and strong with an Aramid reinforced grid molded in the helmet. http://www.pocsports.com/en/product/...abec-race-mips

Comment

Working...
                              X