Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mid April Sierra Trip will the snow conditions be worth it?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mid April Sierra Trip will the snow conditions be worth it?

    A few friends and I from the NY area are planning a spring touring trip to the Sierra around Mammoth or farther north. I went with them last year and we bailed and headed north to Shasta and Lassen as the approaches to get to skiable snow were getting very long in the Sierra. How does the snowpack of this year compare to last? Earlier in Jan. I saw a photo of the Sierra with about 20% of the snowpack of last year, and last year was a low snow year. Has the snowpack picked up enough new snow in the few storms that came in Feb. to have enough for some good spring skiing in mid April?

  • #2
    It's feeling like late April up there right now. Mid-April this season I think should be nice for the usual Memorial Day weekend stuff: going towards the high country passes and doing peaks'n'gullies. Snowpack is roughly 50% right now in the high country (and patchy to zilch below 7000'), and it's heating up for the next week.

    Comparing to this time last year (now, a year ago), it's a lot less, and much less at Lassen/Shasta too.

    Obligatory optimism: It's supposed to cool in a week or so, and there will probably be a decent storm or two by mid-April.
    Last edited by bobs; 11 March 2014, 01:29 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Been watching the snow storm totals and Lassen is consistently getting more than the Tahoe area, Shasta, or the High Sierra. It may still melt out sooner than we all want but Lassen should be good into late April IMO.

      ain't no turn like tele!

      Comment


      • #4
        The Sierra snowpack as it stands now isn't enough to justify a trip in April; it needs help between now and then. If I were you, I would make no commitments yet and wait to see what the rest of March brings. Lassen and/or Shasta may be better; I don't know.

        As February turned into March, there were (modest-sized) storms, but the snow level rose--according to reports, up to 9000 feet at times.

        Comment


        • #5
          Shlassen:
          http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...=1#post4206880

          Comment


          • #6
            I think the eastside will depend on access; the high country should be decent but that is pretty early for major roads to be open (eg VA Lakes, Tioga). Lassen and Shasta will also have early seasons and may be prime then. Keep us posted, I'm planning some sort of excursion in mid April and all the above are wonderful destinations. Maybe we should plan the first ever backcountrytalk Sierra spring fling, even if we have to hold it in the Cascades.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Baaahb View Post
              Maybe we should plan the first ever backcountrytalk Sierra spring fling, even if we have to hold it in the Cascades.
              That would be cool!
              Tell me where you are skiing and what the conditions are: http://mountainhub.com/
              Ski with me: https://www.meetup.com/Sierra-Club-Hiking-Reno/
              Stalk me: https://www.facebook.com/danomike

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks for the replies, you all pretty much reinforced what I was already thinking. Turns out the people I would be going with had, at about the same time, decided to change the trip destination to the San Juan area of Co. It will be the first time in 12 years that the people I would have gone to the Sierra with aren't going there.

                Comment

                Working...
                X