Nutrition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nutrition

Proper nutrition is the essential base layer for skiing. We all know bacon stokes the furnace. However, that is contraindicated for my current health status. So. I have been watching what and how much I eat.

The subject of hemp came up in another thread when flax was mentioned. Best seed products to provide nutrients?

Hemp hearts anyone? I bought a Costco sized bag the other week and put a few tablespoonfuls on my morning oatmeal. That is 170 cals! Other than that, I don't notice anything. I did notice today, some two weeks later, that it says "refrigerate after opening". Crap. Do they spoil? Mold? Or just go stale?
    "Nobody ever got my name right." - Me

Quit eating like a hippy.

All things in moderation. Including bacon.

Comment

Originally posted by SkaredShtles View Post
      Quit eating like a hippy.

All things in moderation. Including bacon.
      There is no moderation with bacon.

Q: How much bacon do you eat?

A: All of it.

Comment

Originally posted by riser3 View Post
        There is no moderation with bacon.

Q: How much bacon do you eat?

A: All of it.
        You, of all people, should know that with 3 kids "all of it" ends up being 2 strips.

Damned children...

Comment

Hemp (seeds, oil) is a great source of Omega-3s. Flax is another. Cod liver oil, the traditional Omega-3 supplement, works well too. All of them should be refrigerated; what happens if you don't store them well is the oils will turn rancid, which degrades both taste and nutritional quality (do a taste test between flax oil from the shelf at Costco or Trader Joes, versus the stuff in the refrigerated section at Whole Foods). But your hemp seeds should be fine unless you've stored them unrefrigerated for quite a while. Yes, these are all high-fat foods, but it's fine, Omega 3 fats are somewhere between healthy and essential, and it isn't like anybody's going to guzzle cod liver oil.

Comment

What other benefits of hemp seeds?

Comment

You, of all people, should know that with 3 kids "all of it" ends up being 2 strips.

Damned children...

my 3 year old wants bacon for breakfast. not as part of her breakfast, but all of her breakfast.

Comment

Hemp also has omega-6 fats, more of it than omega-3, actually. That's an essential fatty acid also, but since it's more common for people (particularly vegetarians) to not get enough omega-3s, that remains the main appeal. I suppose like most nuts and seeds (in moderation, and best raw), hemp seeds are likely to be a good source of micronutrients. There's going to be some protein and fiber in there too.
                Last edited by bobs; 10 March 2014, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danno View Post
                  my 3 year old wants bacon for breakfast. not as part of her breakfast, but all of her breakfast.
                  Wonderful opportunity to introduce the concept of "tough noogies"...

Comment

Damned children...

I resemble that remark.

Comment

Originally posted by Danno View Post
                      Awesome. However, see Skared's post. 8)

Comment

So that's where all the seeds have gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Baaahb View Post
                          So that's where all the seeds have gone.
                          I don't care who you are, that right there's funny.

Comment

SO according to telly till your smelly, I should also be adding unfiltered beer to the diet. For the brewer's yeast of course.

Comment

Originally posted by riser3 View Post
                              SO according to telly till your smelly, I should also be adding unfiltered beer to the diet. For the brewer's yeast of course.
                              When I was "grad" school there was this student that would literally eat brewer's yeast in class - out of a great big jar.

One day he stopped coming to class - claim is he died from a case of the killer brewer's yeast.

No kidding (though maybe he just came to his senses and left for sane pursuits.)

I think it is not anything specific that one does or does not eat; it is avoiding food traps.

I had a "colleague" that would not eat his vegetables - I mean literally - like he was 5 - we stopped inviting him to our "dinners" - it was a waste.

Or people that have never had duck ...

If you won't eat yogurt - consider all the things you won't eat ... like beer for the brewer's yeast.

-r

Comment

Working...
                              X