New Sierra Club Backcountry Hut - Part 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Sierra Club Backcountry Hut - Part 2

From Dick Simpson (note - if you want your suggestion for hut site and/or design to reach Dick, you need to email him directly at [email protected]):

Hut Enthusiasts:

The donor account for the Sierra Club’s new Ward Hut has been set up and funded. The next step is going to be called the Feasibility Study.

IF YOU WANT TO RESPOND TO THIS MESSAGE, DO NOT USE THE REPLY BUTTON. START A NEW MESSAGE ADDRESSED TO [email protected]

A. Hut Location

We’re looking for one or more locations to build the hut based on the following criteria, in more-or-less the listed order of importance --

The ideal site will:
    (1) be in an area that would have been familiar to Paul Ward —that is, within approximately 25 miles of Truckee;
    (2) be outside statutory Wilderness areas or areas likely to be candidates for future Wilderness;
    (3) not adversely affect natural elements such as threatened flora and fauna;
    (4) be safe and have ingress/egress routes that will also be safe during construction, maintenance, and use;
    (5) be chosen to facilitate construction and maintenance (plausible road access but no swamps, hard rock formations, etc.) but not on a heavily traveled route;
    (6) be on land that is either public (e.g., USFS) or in stable private ownership for the foreseeable future;
    (7) have good non-motorized recreation potential with minimal snowmobile conflict;
    (8) be within a day’s over-snow travel from a public trailhead (with suitable parking) and have good prospects for being used;
    (9) have water and firewood nearby;
    (10) be convenient for management from the Club’s Clair Tappaan Lodge (in Norden)
    (11) be within a day’s over-snow travel from another, similar hut.

If you think an important criterion has been omitted from the list, let me know. If you think you know of a site that meets most of the goals, send me a description (responding to each of the points above) within the next couple months; photos and/or a simple map would be welcome attachments.

We’ll sift through the nominations, pick a few that look the most promising, and do some site visits this summer. Then the Club, the donors, and the land owners/managers will sit down to pick one. After that there could be 2-3 years of environmental studies and permitting; so be patient. And both the donors and the Club have veto rights if the Feasibility Study doesn’t produce a satisfactory result.

IF YOU WANT TO RESPOND TO THIS MESSAGE, DO NOT USE THE REPLY BUTTON. START A NEW MESSAGE ADDRESSED TO [email protected]

B. Hut Design

The default design is a copy of the new, as-built Bradley Hut in Pole Creek. Building a Bradley replica may be the most cost-effective design. But there are alternatives. If you have suggestions, let me know — either for a new design, for an improved Bradley, or for something else. We will be checking out at least one pre-fabricated cabin design. The Club and the donors will review the choices and pick one, based on its features and the likely cost (and subject to the veto possibilities mentioned above).

IF YOU HAVE SUGGESTIONS FOR BOTH SITE AND DESIGN, PLEASE SEND SEPARATE MESSAGES, WHICH WILL HELP ME IN SORTING.

Thanks,
    Dick Simpson
    Sierra Club Volunteer Hut Coordinator
    [email protected]
    Tell me where you are skiing and what the conditions are: http://mountainhub.com/
    Ski with me: https://www.meetup.com/Sierra-Club-Hiking-Reno/
    Stalk me: https://www.facebook.com/danomike

Decided to run a story on the proposed Ward Hut on the host site. Not a lot different there except a link to the USFS Encumbrance map that shows how land parcels are classified to help with making a suggestion. A few good suggestions have already been made. If you want to influence the final location, time to submit your ideas.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

I suggested the east plateau of Mount Houghton.
      http://caltopo.com/map?id=392S

I might be wrong on some of these points, they were submitted "to the best of my knowledge". Either way, I think this would be a cool site for a public hut:
      1. It is outside of the Mount Rose Wilderness Area and on public land.
      2. It can be accessed and maintained easily via the Relay Ridge maintenance road and TRT.
      3. Trailhead access has plenty of parking at the Mount Rose highway summit parking area, which is plowed in the winter.
      4. It could be located in several spots on the plateau that would keep it out of avalanche paths.
      5. The plateau is out of sight and mind of the scores of hikers on the TRT and Mount Rose Summit trail.
      6. It is surrounded by great ski terrain.
      7. It is within the 25 mile radius from Truckee.
      8. It is in a range where there are currently no public huts.
      9. It is in the Snowmobile prohibited zone.
      Tell me where you are skiing and what the conditions are: http://mountainhub.com/
      Ski with me: https://www.meetup.com/Sierra-Club-Hiking-Reno/
      Stalk me: https://www.facebook.com/danomike

Comment

Danomike,
        Excellent suggestion. Half of me hopes we get it, half hopes not.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

Houghton would be a great place for a hut. Mt. Rose ski resort is expanding in the not too distant future to include the strip on the North side of 431 and a gate from there would be a somewhat easy climb to the big saddle on the flank of Houghton. So another access point and another feature of the resort like Sugar Bowl.

Nice dream site, not sure the powers to be would even consider it, not in California where the donations would come from.
          "Just say no to groomed snow"

Comment

The Mt Rose expansion is well below spark plug, a relatively small addition of some beginner terrain, that essentially brings the resort to the backside of Sky Tavern.

I think Scott's Lake by Waterhouse would be a great location for a hut. Relatively easy access to the hut and then access from the hut to a lot of terrain.

Comment

It would be nice to have one west of Upper Echo Lake, before the Desolation Wilderness boundary. Ralston's north side, Talking, Echo, Jack's, Dick's, Price, Pyramid and fine skipping in the Aloha basin would all be within a day's reach. Like Dostie above, half (maybe more) of me also hopes this never happens.

Comment

Seems logical to put the Ward Hut somewhere along Ward Creek - between Alpine and Blackwood Canyon. This would fulfill the original mission of spacing the hut's a day's hike apart. But the OSV access there may nix that.

Comment

Slightly different but related. Just received an email from one of the organizers of Work Parties (there's an oxymoron for you) of the Peter Grubb Hut coming up the next two weekends that extra hands and strong backs are needed on the last two weekends of September.

More info here.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

Working...
                  X