Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ABS bag for telemark setup ( Non NTN and no leashes)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABS bag for telemark setup ( Non NTN and no leashes)

I am considering the purchase of an airbag, I was primarily concerned with the extra weight over a standard day pack (2.5 lbs more ??) but having looked online I have read some comments that the use of an airbag with a standard telemark setup is negated by the lack of release function on the binding, skis anchor and thus no point in buying the airbag as you'd be pulled under anyway. I always remove the leashes in tricky terrain and assume a rough fall would still remove the skis but would appreciate hearing from someone who knows their stuff. Cheers.

Originally posted by Niseko View Post
    I am considering the purchase of an airbag, I was primarily concerned with the extra weight over a standard day pack (2.5 lbs more ??) but having looked online I have read some comments that the use of an airbag with a standard telemark setup is negated by the lack of release function on the binding, skis anchor and thus no point in buying the airbag as you'd be pulled under anyway. I always remove the leashes in tricky terrain and assume a rough fall would still remove the skis but would appreciate hearing from someone who knows their stuff. Cheers.
    My opinion is this: with few exceptions, tele bindings don't release period so if you are caught in a AVY, or have a wicked egg beater fall your skis are going to stay on you feet. So whatever the consequences are you have to deal with it. What to do to keep yourself safe? Don't ski in AVY terrain with nonreleasable bindings and don't lose control and have egg beater type falls. As far as a air bag, regardless of the bindings I would rather have a airbag than nothing caught in a AVY. For me, I don't have one yet but will get one once the fan types are marketed and tested. In the mean time, ski with releasable bindings and don't ski AVY terrain.........actually don't ski avy terrain at all even with a fan on my back.
    "Just say no to groomed snow"

Comment

That doesn't sound like much fun…. avoiding telemarking avalanche terrain just because you have non-releasables. Why leave all that stable powder for AT skiers? Now avoiding slopes that might slide because of one's proper assessment, etc.., well that's a different thing and has nothing to do with what's on your feet, but what's between your ears. What about snowshoers? Stay away completely? Certainly if I make a royal boo-boo and get clobbered, well games over with this foot trap I use. So be careful, ski in control, and ski what you want. This is an old debate from as far back as tele binding go and I can certainly comprehend the safety issue with non-releasable binding on a skier in an avalanche. There is ample data to show skiers with releasable occasionally are injured in a crash or die with their skis on in avalanche debris.

I've never given my non-releasable 01's much thought as a factor when evaluating avalanche terrain.

Getting an airbag next year. Probably the electric airbag. It's a no-brainer. Blew my 2014 safety gear budget though on a Pieps Pro for this year and have been using it the last two days. More on that later.

Comment

Ok thanks - so in summary an airbag has some merit with standard teles.

Comment

Telemark bindings are not the only bindings that don't release in an avalanche. Snowboard strap bindings aren't exactly releasable. Alpine bindings might, but not reliably, hence the added importance of an airbag to give the opportunity to be closer to or on the surface when it comes to a stop. With skis that don't release and no airbag the chances of being on top when it stops are slim indeed. Aside from not getting caught, yes, the best option would be skis that ejected and an airbag that inflated. If you can't have both, at least get one.

ain't no turn like tele!

Comment

and what about tech bindings, don't they have a locked toe feature that is used when touring to prevent release?

Comment

Originally posted by Quadzilla View Post
              Don't ski in AVY terrain with nonreleasable bindings ........ In the mean time, ski with releasable bindings and don't ski AVY terrain.........actually don't ski avy terrain at all even with a fan on my back.

What? Shut up.

Comment

Originally posted by Niseko View Post
                thus no point in buying the airbag as you'd be pulled under anyway.
                Zero point seems a bit strong -- folks have survived an avalanche with a ski still on. That's what happened to that woman who deployed an airbag in the Tunnel Creek.

Originally posted by Dostie View Post
                the best option would be skis that ejected and an airbag that inflated. If you can't have both, at least get one.
                I fully agree though I have neither.

Comment

Tele skis might get ripped off- and that might even be more likely to if you have airbag force pulling you up. And even if not it would help, and there is no guranteee that even AT bindings will release (and as mentioned snowboards are the least releasable and airbag packs have helped snowboarders).

So yes get an airbag even with non-release teles!
                  Reluctant enthusiast, part-time crusader, half-hearted fanatic

Comment

Or tap your heels together and repeat 3 times: "There's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no place like home...."
                    Yay!...(Drool)

Comment

Originally posted by BillyFromTheHills View Post
                      Or tap your heels together and repeat 3 times: "There's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no place like home...."
                      Airbags don't prevent you from getting wrapped around a tree, as proven in UT. Your brain is still the best safety equipment in avy terrain.

Comment

Originally posted by teledance View Post
                        Airbags don't prevent you from getting wrapped around a tree, as proven in UT. Your brain is still the best safety equipment in avy terrain.
                        I'm sure that the OP found your reply super-helpful.

BillyFromTheHills' reply was just plain stupid.
                        backcountry in northern New Mexico

Comment

Snarky.
                          Excuse my lack of patience with BC fools who think the gear will make up for poor decisions.

Comment

What in his post made you assume he thinks gear will make up for poor decisions? Do you use a transceiver? If so are you one of those fools who think gear will make up for poor decisions?

Comment

Originally posted by televisionary View Post
                              I'm sure that the OP found your reply super-helpful.

BillyFromTheHills' reply was just plain stupid.
                              C'mon TV...cut a brother some slack. Wizard of Oz references are always funny!

I just find it funny that someone might think that binding choice would magically make them safer in a slide, or would over-think it to the point of absurdity. Get it?
                              Yay!...(Drool)

Comment

Working...
                              X