Invasion of the ................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invasion of the ................

Splitboards. Started to notice this last year but so far this season at the more advanced BC terrain, the ratio of Splitters to two plankers is 40% or so. In many ways this is a good thing as there is less postholing of the skin track. But, one thing is evident, man they sure lay deep ruts and wide slashing turns. So, have to get back to old saying, "Go Early, Go Deep". Or, learn to ski deep ruts......
    "Just say no to groomed snow"

I thought this was going to say "invasion of the pushy VW drivers". Not sure why, but they consistently seem to be in the biggest hurry, jumping from lane to lane only to get stopped at the next red light just like everyone else.

I think the ruts you speak of are more of an issue of the wetness of the snow we had with the huge storm from about a week ago. Making a deep rut seemed to be about the only way down.

Comment

Certainly seem to be more splitters, but also more side and near-country ski tourer's as well. It's public land and most folks seem to be respectful and carrying the necessary tools and skiing appropriately. As long as they are doing this, smiling, and friendly, I couldn't care less what they are riding on. The fresh air and exercise is for all and I've no trouble sharing a skin track.... especially if they're breaking trail. On the down, it's all about wide slashing turns regardless of gear. The Warren Miller thing is long done....

Comment

Thank this guy:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_...28freerider%29

And these movies:
        http://www.tetongravity.com/films/deeper/
        http://www.tetongravity.com/films/jeremy-jones-further/

Seriously.

This guy is fed up with it:
        http://tukadika.com/2014/02/10/tgrs-...-for-18-years/

Lengthier discussion here:
        http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...-dang-TGR-hate

But, yes, it's definitely true. Splitboarding has blown up in the last ten years and particularly the last five.

Comment

Hasn't the gear improved markedly?

It still has a way to go as far as what I've seen. I wouldn't be opposed to trying it though. Having just learned to snow board I haven't gotten any powder turns at the resort so hiking might at least guarantee me some untracked.

Beaters will be beaters. I've heard a lot of people complain about two wide of turns, but never too deep. Crossing an occasional old track can be a bit of a challenge I guess.

Comment

It's getting there. Spark R&D's new system makes it stupid easy to switch modes. You still have to take the board off your feet but it's far faster now. Also I remember seeing somewhere that they're almost at the point of locking down the heel for quick short parallel turns.

They just physically won't overcome the long distance/flats touring aspect, but if they're climbing for turns, the gear is looking pretty damn good this season. If I were entering the BC sport and snow sliding right now as a newbie I'd definitely go the splitty route.
            Drive the cuff!

Comment

^^^ Yeah. For rolling tours, a split isn't great. But for straight up and down stuff, they're awesome. I can still ride far better in funky snow conditions that I can alpine (or tele, for that matter). Snowboarding in powder is fun as hell too.

Damn. I'm back to thinking I need to pick up a splitboard again...

But then, on the flipside, one of my most avid splitboarding buddies has switched to Dynafits and has been teaching himself to ski because he's gotten sick of everybody having to wait for him. Heheh.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	invasion-of-the-body-snatchers-original.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	81201

qwerty
                Reluctant enthusiast, part-time crusader, half-hearted fanatic

Comment

Good to hear our boarding bretherin are reprasenting. I haven't been in the bc enough the past few years and haven't really noticed an uptick in splitters. It does bring to mind the absence from this board of our old TTips buddy bcrider, who (if memory serves) runs the splitboard.com website.
                  It's turns! Of course it's worth the hike!

Comment

Originally posted by whitehonky View Post
                    Certainly seem to be more splitters, but also more side and near-country ski tourer's as well. It's public land and most folks seem to be respectful and carrying the necessary tools and skiing appropriately. As long as they are doing this, smiling, and friendly, I couldn't care less what they are riding on. The fresh air and exercise is for all and I've no trouble sharing a skin track.... especially if they're breaking trail. On the down, it's all about wide slashing turns regardless of gear. The Warren Miller thing is long done....
                    Not sure about the Warren Miller thing, but farming a few turns surely saves a few powder turns for later. I don't mind sharing a skin track or the slope with Splitters as it is sure better than skinning a nice skin track that has been booted. It is a little disappointing to have the nice steep rollovers, sluffed off because instead of actually turning it seems popular to just throw the board sideways and sluff off a big section. But, "First come, First served".

Comment

It's a damn nuisance. Why can't the splitboarders find their own terrain. We (old school granola crunching telemarkers) were here first!

Just kidding.

The splitboarders in the BC don't bother me. What bothers me is the fact that snowboarders have infiltrated and are taking over the Olympics.
                      Last edited by Baaahb; 19 February 2014, 10:36 AM.

Comment

What about the pants? Integrated gaiters?

Comment

Originally posted by Baaahb View Post
                          It's a damn nuisance. Why can't the splitboarders find their own terrain. We (old school granola crunching telemarkers) were here first!

Just kidding.
                          Well Baaahb, not many of the old school or new school teleheads up there lately either maybe a mass retirement to the couch watching the Olys. Just hard to get used to getting behind a group of kids on boards who need to stop every 100 yds. to do a Selfie or text messge with pic.............

Comment

It seems like the attachment hardware is the weak link. I was riding with a guy who did his own installation of the Voile system. He did a great job, but it still took him a lot of time to clean out the joint and join the board back together each lap. The commercially available pre-built splitboards seem to be equally awkward.

The bindings seem pretty bomber. You'll never make it as efficient as skiing, but if you could get the boards back together relatively easy it would speed up the transitions considerably.

The Karakoram clips seem to be what Jones Snowboards and a lot of other manufacturers are using these days:

Click image for larger version

Name:	clips_2014_720x600.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	81202
                            Last edited by Matt J; 19 February 2014, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quadzilla View Post
                              Well Baaahb, not many of the old school or new school teleheads up there lately either maybe a mass retirement to the couch watching the Olys. Just hard to get used to getting behind a group of kids on boards who need to stop every 100 yds. to do a Selfie or text messge with pic.............
                              This is what it has come to in the "BC" near big cities....mass consumption! Aren't you glad all the ski industry pimps are "growing the sport"?
                              Yay!...(Drool)

Comment

Working...
                              X